Burned redshirts

Advertisement
Guys go pro when they can. It doesn't matter if they're juniors or redshirt sophomores.

If a guy is going to help you win, play him.

walton
cager
gauthier
st. louis
norton
mcintosh
perry
redwine
jackson
henley

Golden showed some restraint and didn't play Shirreffs, Gordinier, King, Fines, Patchan, Milo, Mahoney, Loftus, Knowles

Walton is not a burned redshirt. Kid will be RB1 after the Nebraska game. Mark it down.

Pretty certain that whoever played on Saturday will be playing all season by design.

Some guys like Norton, McIntosh, Gauthier, St. Louis, Walton, Cager, Johnson will play a lot.

Others like Perry, Henley, Jackson, Redwine will play special teams.

This obviously means that Golden should be fired immediately.

I actually think Redwine will play a lot of DB, deservedly so

You have to play walton whats the point of redshirtimg a kid that can be gone in 3 years. Out of the three we have he looks the best. As a freshman. I wont compare him or boost him because it was Bethune. If im not mistaken cant these kids play these first two or 3 games and still redshirt or no? Thought in the past that was discussed.

No. Play one down and your redshirt is gone, unless the kid suffers an injury and then he may be eligible for a medical redshirt.

Advertisement
I think a player can play in the first game and still get redshirted...I could be wrong

You are correct.

They just get "injured" wink wink. One of those loopholes the NCAA doesn't really ask about.

You don't burn a red shirt by just playing in one game.

"Players, especially in football, may redshirt to learn the team's play book since college teams run more complex and more plays generally than most high school teams. In other cases, a player may be granted a redshirt if he or she has participated in less than 10% of the season taking place in an academic year."

So there is still the potential for those listed in this thread to red shirt, but we're talking about Al Golden here so that chance flies out the window.

Still, go figure....a lot of people on the internet assuming facts since someone acted like they knew something.

Absolutely unequivocally wrong. One play ends your redshirt. The only exception is an injury situation, where a player may be eligible for a medical redshirt.

This question arises every year, but people can't seem to get it.

Yes you are incorrect, outside of injuries.

No he isnt. All of htose that played can still be shirted. I played and got shirted...my freshman year.

First 3 games....

Part of the reason those cupcakes get scheduled early.

When did that happen? The current rules won't allow that without a medical hardship waiver. The current rules have been in force for some time.

The current rule has been in place since at least 2005. I don't know about earlier, but I think it goes back way farther than that. In any case, competition in even 1 play counts as a season of competition. So, unless the guys who played get injured in the next 3 game and can get a medical hardship waiver, they cannot redshirt this year.

NCAA D-1 rules (2015) 12.8.3 and 12.8.4

This.

Guys go pro when they can. It doesn't matter if they're juniors or redshirt sophomores.

How about if he's not talented enough to make a real difference in any real games as a true freshman, but you play him against BCC and FAU in games you clearly could win without him. Then you don't use him the rest of the year but you wasted a year of his eligibility.

A few years down the road, he might not be a guy who can go to the NFL as a RS Junior because he's a little small or a little slow, but he is a **** good college player who could really help you as a RS Senior. I'm thinking about guys like Armbrister and maybe even Grace.

Advertisement

How about if he's not talented enough to make a real difference in any real games as a true freshman, but you play him against BCC and FAU in games you clearly could win without him. Then you don't use him the rest of the year but you wasted a year of his eligibility.

A few years down the road, he might not be a guy who can go to the NFL as a RS Junior because he's a little small or a little slow, but he is a **** good college player who could really help you as a RS Senior. I'm thinking about guys like Armbrister and maybe even Grace.

Why would have Armbrister needed a redshirt when he is dishing out pain to NFL RBs now without the benefit of that RS year?

Why would have Armbrister needed a redshirt when he is dishing out pain to NFL RBs now without the benefit of that RS year?

You understand this is a UM message board right? He's look pretty good at LB for UM this year wouldn't he? He wasn't going to leave after his RS Junior season had he been redshirted. So he'd be here right now.

Look, unless someone is just raw as **** or small and needs to bulk up, chances are they are going to play. It happens everywhere. Most of these guys are gone in 4 yrs or less. If not they probably aren't very good. It's the nature of the beast. Guys are going to college to play ball and make it to the next level most of the time. I think we all blow this redshirt crap out of proportion.

My bad, I was using some outdated info. Their shirts are burned unless they are injured and that's already been covered here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back