Burgess Owens

Advertisement
This thread is very valuable for purposes of scientific experimentation.

We will get to see firsthand whether @RVA Cane has a band hammer that works on both ends of the spectrum, or only on one.

RVA is so even-handed, he even thread-banned himself once.

Hee haw!!!
1598025493802.png

Advertisement
OP asked how good was Burgess...I responded with Top 5 underrated in UM History....was Bennie/SeanTay yrs earlier...on some Horrid UM teams...
I think beyond the fact Burgess was here when it wasn't popular to be a cane, why he isn't more widely recognized for being as good as he was is because he was just as good and spent **** near as much time playing corner as he did safety. But the **** shame for all those boys is people still don't give them the credit they deserved. Whether it's George,Ted,chuck,Burgess or several others,even Jim Kelly it's never talked about how dominant they were.

I think beyond the fact Burgess was here when it wasn't popular to be a cane, why he isn't more widely recognized for being as good as he was is because he was just as good and spent **** near as much time playing corner as he did safety. But the **** shame for all those boys is people still don't give them the credit they deserved. Whether it's George,Ted,chuck,Burgess or several others,even Jim Kelly it's never talked about how dominant they were.

Yeah, I started at UM in the mid-80s, but I knew about a lot of the UM alums from what they did in the NFL. That's why I loved walking through Hecht, to look at all the old paintings of the players from the 60s and 70s.

More importantly, some of these younger fans can't comprehend how dominant these guys were, because they were doing it without a talented team around them. A lot of the DLs were easily double-teamed by opponents, and they still did well. Our RBs had to run into stacked lines because the passing game was not a real threat.

Miami has churned out great football players for over 50 years, and most of those older guys just don't get the credit.

I remember him in the 1936 Olympics.

Ol Adolf was ****ed.

Not that he ever held a grudge against anyone.

Does anyone remember the career of Burgess Owens here?

I'm hazy, but I thought he was one of the great players in UM history, that is rarely mentioned as one of our best. Sort of the same way I think of Ryan McNeil.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He went 13th in the ‘73 draft. Made the Pro Bowl in ‘81.

I don’t think we were noted for OL in the ‘70’s as much as DL’s.

We had one outstanding OL, Dennis Harrah in the early ‘70’s. He went first round to LA Rams and was a longtime starter.

We had a slew of good DLs in the ‘70’s: Ruben Carter (future Denver Orange Crush), Don Smith (Falcons); Eddie Edwards (future Bengals), Don Latimer (Denver). We also had little Tony Christiani, an All-American middle guard, who terrorized offenses with his quickness and speed. I think Smith, Edwards and Latimer were first rounders. Ruben Carter was not but he was a stud for ten years on the famous Denver Orange Crush defense that played in the Super Bowl. He played next to another of my favorite players of that era, Lyle Alzado.

Getting back to Burgess: he should be regarded as an all-time Hurricane great.

Some of the guys I mentioned above might have had some Pro Bowl or even All Pro years. Most were pretty good pros.
Amazing with those great DL that our teams were that awful. And, you forgot Gary Dunn!

As for other OL than Dennis Harrah, Joe Wysock went to the Jets the same year as Harrah went to the Rams. Middle rounder I think. Larry Brown was drafted by the KC Chiefs, and a couple Centers from the mid-70s teams went as basically FAs (16th Round back then). You are definitely right that the DL talent was staggeringly good; OL, not so much!

This thread is very valuable for purposes of scientific experimentation.

We will get to see firsthand whether @RVA Cane has a band hammer that works on both ends of the spectrum, or only on one.
Huh??? I reply banned myself, and painfully - Chise and Brooklyn too, but go on...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back