Building the trenches

Top me, this is the difference between the recruiting classes we had under previous staffs and what the current staff is doing. We've always been able to bolster recruiting rankings with highly rated skill guys but we've really been collecting scraps on the offensive line in particular. These guys are prioritizing the trenches and it's going to show in the coming seasons. Speedy wide receivers and tailbacks are a dime a dozen in Florida. We need to put the effort into signing the top tier linemen.

Advertisement
We have had some very impressive talent on the dline since manny and co has been here. Many people gave them sh*t about not retooling the dline But man have they responded in a big way. And we got jaelan Phillips who is going to be in Miami’s strength and conditioning program next month. That kid is SCARY good and an elite level athlete. If all goes well he has top 5 pick ability in the draft

His highlight film is insane

Nelson Walker Clark Denis/Reed Rivers would be a **** of a group. Movement on the left side, power on the right.

I'm liking that we are grabbing athletic guys in the 260 range who have the frame to add more weight and hopefully keep the athleticism.

Advertisement
The only way to win at a high level is to be good in the trenches. You can have all the skill position players you want but if you can't block it's a waste.

Agreed. We lost to Wisconsin, LSU and BC because we got dominated in the trenches. Not because we didn't have the skill position guys.

Advertisement
We have had some very impressive talent on the dline since manny and co has been here. Many people gave them sh*t about not retooling the dline But man have they responded in a big way. And we got jaelan Phillips who is going to be in Miami’s strength and conditioning program next month. That kid is SCARY good and an elite level athlete. If all goes well he has top 5 pick ability in the draft

Good film kids ah dude! Probably the best defensive prospect that came in with this class

Depth for this season on the OL is trash if we truly have two true freshmen competing for playing time.

I am holding back getting too hyped about Phillips..... Something seems off about him. I am hoping I am wrong but I feel like he will not play in a single game in Miami uniform.

That being said that is the best highlight tape since Clowney.

Advertisement
Depth for this season on the OL is trash if we truly have two true freshmen competing for playing time.

Still not there yet. I know we have been saying this for years, but you truly have to look to next year with this offensive line. Every single player in the two deep returns with another year being coached by Barry and another year with Feeley. The talent is there just need time to develop.

I am holding back getting too hyped about Phillips..... Something seems off about him. I am hoping I am wrong but I feel like he will not play in a single game in Miami uniform.

That being said that is the best highlight tape since Clowney.
People wrote Gerald Willis off too every year he was at Miami and made the “hope I’m wrong comments” even leading up to his last year. Continue to do it here, Doesn’t matter either way. Phillips is going to ball. He’s got more than enough time to get ready for next fall being in our strength/conditioning program for that long.

Last edited:
Advertisement
People wrote Gerald Willis off too every year he was at Miami and made the “hope I’m wrong comments” even leading up to his last year. Continue to do it here, Doesn’t matter either way. Phillips is going to ball. He’s got more than enough time to get ready for next fall being in our strength/conditioning program for that long.

Mehhh Gerald was still practicing with the team. He was being heralded as the top performer on scout team. With Phillips I am more concerned with Injury. Something seems fishy.

He seems to have lost a ton of weight and doesn't seem to post anything football related. I heard rumors he is more interested in music than football.

These are apples and oranges.

Mehhh Gerald was still practicing with the team. He was being heralded as the top performer on scout team. With Phillips I am more concerned with Injury. Something seems fishy.

He seems to have lost a ton of weight and doesn't seem to post anything football related. I heard rumors he is more interested in music than football.

These are apples and oranges.

It’s not apple to oranges because people said the same thing about Willis. Phillips going to be practicing and rehabbing with the team. Read the athletic article about Phillips, he’s trying to get the wrist injury all the way healed and he will be fine. Plus he has plenty of time to gain weight(which he already has) and he won’t play in a game until next fall which is more than enough time to get ready. You got to glean more into the situation go look at how many “fishy” situations UCLA had with guys “retiring” those kids didn’t like chip kelly either.

Chad Thomas posted nothing but music all the time when he was Miami so that doesn’t even matter what players do on their own time.

Elite teams are built on the lines and at QB. Sprinkle in speed elsewhere and that’s all she wrote. The blueprint has been proven time and time again.

It’s not apple to oranges because people said the same thing about Willis. Phillips going to be practicing and rehabbing with the team. Read the athletic article about Phillips, he’s trying to get the wrist injury all the way healed and he will be fine. Plus he has plenty of time to gain weight(which he already has) and he won’t play in a game until next fall which is more than enough time to get ready. You got to glean more into the situation go look at how many “fishy” situations UCLA had with guys “retiring” those kids didn’t like chip kelly either.

Chad Thomas posted nothing but music all the time when he was Miami so that doesn’t even matter what players do on their own time.

While true, Chad never lived up to the hype he had coming in either. Good, solid player but not the 5* kid everyone expected to be a dominate game changer. Was it because he had interests elsewhere and didn't commit to football like others do? Was it bc his ceiling as a bit maxed already? Who knows.

With Phillips, his highlight reel in HS was off the charts. You can see why the guy was the #1 player in the country. That said, in 2 years he played a total of 10 games while having 3 separate injury issues.....an ankle injury his freshman year, 2 wrist surgeries and concussion issues that ended his sophomore campaign.....so much so he considered medical retirement. There's obvious concern there. Physically gifted and a guy you absolutely take a flyer on.....but you have to expect and understand the concern some may have,

Advertisement
Back