Building the trenches

While true, Chad never lived up to the hype he had coming in either. Good, solid player but not the 5* kid everyone expected to be a dominate game changer. Was it because he had interests elsewhere and didn't commit to football like others do? Was it bc his ceiling as a bit maxed already? Who knows.

With Phillips, his highlight reel in HS was off the charts. You can see why the guy was the #1 player in the country. That said, in 2 years he played a total of 10 games while having 3 separate injury issues.....an ankle injury his freshman year, 2 wrist surgeries and concussion issues that ended his sophomore campaign.....so much so he considered medical retirement. There's obvious concern there. Physically gifted and a guy you absolutely take a flyer on.....but you have to expect and understand the concern some may have,
Chad just had delayed development as he basically played in a sh*tty scheme his first 2 years and did nothing pretty much. Phillips obviously has had past injury concerns but he’s not the only one in college football who has. Frank gore had 2 knee injuries at Miami and I’m sure people were ready to say the same about him on message boards back then and probably did

Advertisement
Agreed. We lost to Wisconsin, LSU and BC because we got dominated in the trenches. Not because we didn't have the skill position guys.

Because the offense wasnt on field long and that the defense was constantly. That will beat up a defense.

Last edited:
I am holding back getting too hyped about Phillips..... Something seems off about him. I am hoping I am wrong but I feel like he will not play in a single game in Miami uniform.

That being said that is the best highlight tape since Clowney.
He's definitely had a bunch of injuries so concern is valid, but if he's healthy he'll likely start next year alongside rousseau. Total freak show athlete.

Chad just had delayed development as he basically played in a sh*tty scheme his first 2 years and did nothing pretty much. Phillips obviously has had past injury concerns but he’s not the only one in college football who has. Frank gore had 2 knee injuries at Miami and I’m sure people were ready to say the same about him on message boards back then and probably did

i literally HATE when people say Chad didnt live up to hype. When he was literally 2 gapping for 2 years in an AL Golden scheme that NO DL other than Mohammed Wilkerson has performed well in. The minute we moved to amore agressive unit his stats ratcheted up. ..HE ALSO PLAYED THROUGH injury and finished strong for us.

I look at Phillips a bit like I look at Robert Burns. If he's healthy, he could be great. But I'm not going to count on that.

Advertisement
And how would you have looked at frank gore?

I would count frank gore as a bit of an anomaly. I am obviously extremely hopeful that Phillips rolls in and lives up to his potential (which is as high as any player I have ever seen), however I think a lot of people see his college injury history and production and hold back high expectations.

I would count frank gore as a bit of an anomaly. I am obviously extremely hopeful that Phillips rolls in and lives up to his potential (which is as high as any player I have ever seen), however I think a lot of people see his college injury history and production and hold back high expectations.
In only 6 games as a true freshman playing linebacker he had 7 tfls 3.5 sacks. How is that not good production in a limited scope? We probably should wait and see but no point in writing this kid off with how things have transpired with other high rated UCLA guys who “retired” only to continue to play football at other schools

Advertisement
We have had some very impressive talent on the dline since manny and co has been here. Many people gave them sh*t about not retooling the dline But man have they responded in a big way. And we got jaelan Phillips who is going to be in Miami’s strength and conditioning program next month. That kid is SCARY good and an elite level athlete. If all goes well he has top 5 pick ability in the draft

Let’s not get carried away with top 5 pick nonsense based on HS film.

Let’s see if he can even get on the field first.

But yeah, hope you’re right. Duh

Frank Gore? What does he have to do with Phillips? Nothing. pick one needle in a Haystack to justify another.

Oh yeah, Ed Reed was a “2 star” so every 2 star at Miami should be n NFL and College Fb HOfer and considered among the greatest ever to play their position.

When is Ryan Mayes HOF induction ceremony?

You auditioning to be a Gator fan?

Frank Gore? What does he have to do with Phillips? Nothing. pick one needle in a Haystack to justify another.

Oh yeah, Ed Reed was a “2 star” so every 2 star at Miami should be n NFL and College Fb HOfer and considered among the greatest ever to play their position.

When is Ryan Mayes HOF induction ceremony?

You auditioning to be a Gator fan?
Did frank gore not have far serious injuries than Phillips yet he came back from all of it right?

Advertisement
Did frank gore not have far serious injuries than Phillips yet he came back from all of it right?

What about the thousands of other guys that did NOT come back from injuries instead of the one guy who defied medical science and all logic?

it’s such a low level argument you are making.

What about the thousands of other guys that did NOT come back from injuries instead of the one guy who defied medical science and all logic?

it’s such a low level argument you are making.
And what about the thousands who have come back. Phillips had a severe wrist injury and tried to come back too early from a few concussion symptoms that’s it... he hasn’t had some catastrophic injury where it’s not likely that he can comeback cut the bullsh*t

Agree 100%.

I'd take him over the DL coach who was sending out his resume 2 minutes after arriving at Miami.

And notice how the numbers are back up along the DL.

All this talk about Kool.... TBH I felt like Simpson had such a good impact on the DLine and seemed to fit in much better with our team as a whole.

Advertisement
Curtis Justus, too.

Don't even think he practiced.

Maybe his ankle has healed by now.

I look at Phillips a bit like I look at Robert Burns. If he's healthy, he could be great. But I'm not going to count on that.

i literally HATE when people say Chad didnt live up to hype. When he was literally 2 gapping for 2 years in an AL Golden scheme that NO DL other than Mohammed Wilkerson has performed well in. The minute we moved to amore agressive unit his stats ratcheted up. ..HE ALSO PLAYED THROUGH injury and finished strong for us.

Then injury is part of why he didn’t. I’m just saying if you ask most fans if they expected a better overall more dominant award filled career, most would probably say yes.....and just because he didn’t live up to that internet hype machine doesn’t make him a bad player. The guy was good.....early 3rd round pick on top of it. But 5 star labels drives elite game changer and future 1st rounder expectations coming in, so that’s how guys get judged these days fair or not, right or wrong......like a 2 star jag who has zero expectation but exceeds and becomes all-american and fan favorite.

His stats ratcheted as a junior and senior in Manny’s system but not more than the other DEnds here. Joe Jackson put up slightly better stats as a freshman in the same system Chad did as a senior. Same with Garvins sophomore campaign....even Trent Harris' last year. Different type players, I know, and Chad as a SDE held the edge much much better than any of those guys could dream but Chad never seemed to maximize his physical potential. Him showing well in the post season predraft circuit didn’t shock me bc he’s talented. Love the guy/player but I t is what it is.

Short of paralysis, little is more serious than chronic concussion issues, if that’s what he had when he considered medical retirement.

Short of paralysis, little is more serious than chronic concussion issues, if that’s what he had when he considered medical retirement.
That’s been the common “injury” of people who “medically retired” only to continue playing ball at another university other than UCLA

Advertisement
Back