Off-Topic Building collapsed in Surfside

Architecture grad student here. Just did a study on the FIU bridge collapse last fall. Have a structures class this fall semester, so expecting to cover this topic in great depth. Anybody know what’s going on with SoFla architecture?

Advertisement
So basically saltwater, or pool water, or both, relegated the bottom of that building to potato chip.

The powers that be should've taken care of those repairs ASAP as soon as they got that report.

Thoughts And Prayers for everybody involved.
This all had to be paid for out of pocket by the apt. owners. It would have to be an assessment imposed on the owners. I think it was an estimate in the range of $16-18 million. I guess it probably had to go through the condo board. Why it wasn’t done, who knows? It obviously should have been done. I guess nobody really thinks the whole building could collapse so they move more slowly than anybody thought was necessary. Any unit owner who demanded it sooner would probably be written off as a crank and troublemaker.

Architecture grad student here. Just did a study on the FIU bridge collapse last fall. Have a structures class this fall semester, so expecting to cover this topic in great depth. Anybody know what’s going on with SoFla architecture?
My sister and I are surprised that any building in that area has underground basements. Like I said, when I lived in South Florida in the ‘50’s and ‘60’s, no building I ever saw—from the smallest house to a high rise—had basements. Has that changed?

I’ve got to think that ground that close to the beach has got to be prone to getting soaked and soggy, if that kind of thing can happen. I sometimes joke about the Beach getting flooded and overrun with water, half-jokingly, but I saw some news footage from one of the local So Fla TV stations after a big rain several years ago. There were flooded streets in South Beach and fish flopping around in and out of water on the streets and sidewalks. You could probably take your rod and reel with you while you took a walk. Never saw anything like that in my years in Miami Beach. How can you build a high rise on what is almost marshland. I know I sound crazy—usually with good reason—but I don’t know what he future is of Miami Beach.

I’ve got to think that ground that close to the beach has got to be prone to getting soaked and soggy, if that kind of thing can happen. I sometimes joke about the Beach getting flooded and overrun with water, half-jokingly, but I saw some news footage from one of the local So Fla TV stations after a big rain several years ago. There were flooded streets in South Beach and fish flopping around in and out of water on the streets and sidewalks. You could probably take your rod and reel with you while you took a walk. Never saw anything like that in my years in Miami Beach. How can you build a high rise on what is almost marshland. I know I sound crazy—usually with good reason—but I don’t know what he future is of Miami Beach.
I have a feeling we are going to see an increase in these collapses as water levels continue to rise. Underground parking seems to be a big thing due to limited space. Packing these buildings in so closely together on a beach with underground parking seems like a recipe for disaster.

Advertisement
A pool contractor took these pictures two days before the collapse.

Composite2.jpg

I have a feeling we are going to see an increase in these collapses as water levels continue to rise. Underground parking seems to be a big thing due to limited space. Packing these buildings in so closely together on a beach with underground parking seems like a recipe for disaster.

This. Nobody likes to talk about climate change impacts on rising tides but it's a real thing. Only question is how long it will be before we starting seeing affects. If you own a condo near the water, I would cash in now while you can. Cash in before condo fees start increasing due to heavy $$ in assessments vis a vis new building requirements/code and before we start to see another collapse due to a similar issue (shoddy construction and rising water levels). I'm sure the new(er) condo buildings are safer but I am fearful that this will be a new problem facing sofla over the next 20-30 years.

Advertisement
So basically saltwater, or pool water, or both, relegated the bottom of that building to potato chip.

The powers that be should've taken care of those repairs ASAP as soon as they got that report.

Thoughts And Prayers for everybody involved.
That would’ve been on the condo association. They have to approve all work if I know how those laws work correctly.

There’s no way that went unreported to the association. Not only is that incompetence but that has to have accumulated in years. I heard about the the pool on the top of the building was built wrong without a slope to control water leakage down internal support walls a week ago via the news but if it was THAT bad then then association is so liable for that. There’s no way you could get me to believe they didn’t know that much damage was occurring.

I have very bad news. A Miami Firefighter and his brother(another firefighter) recovered their daughter/niece today. They were allowed to assist due to this and they were able to find her. That’s literally any first responders worst nightmare.
I couldn't even imagine how difficult that is.

Advertisement
I have very bad news. A Miami Firefighter and his brother(another firefighter) recovered their daughter/niece today. They were allowed to assist due to this and they were able to find her. That’s literally any first responders worst nightmare.
What horror. Prayers for this man and his family, I cannot imagine going through this.

I couldn't even imagine how difficult that is.
Yea, they do it out of respect but it’s gotta be tough. I don’t know if they were actively working today or not but they allowed them to recover her. The FDNY did the same thing during 9/11 for the retired FDNY dads and fellow members of the fire house they served at.

This. Nobody likes to talk about climate change impacts on rising tides but it's a real thing. Only question is how long it will be before we starting seeing affects. If you own a condo near the water, I would cash in now while you can. Cash in before condo fees start increasing due to heavy $$ in assessments vis a vis new building requirements/code and before we start to see another collapse due to a similar issue (shoddy construction and rising water levels). I'm sure the new(er) condo buildings are safer but I am fearful that this will be a new problem facing sofla over the next 20-30 years.

LOL, people are doing that now on regular homes. This event will just accelerate Climate Gentrification to areas of higher elevation like Overtown, Liberty City, & Little Haiti.

Advertisement
drumming bob baker GIF by Bob Baker Marionette Theater

Buy waterfront in Alaska. The sea levels are dropping there.

This is getting worse and worse. Apparently the association did have plans for big repairs to the building and went to the city for clearance of plans for parking, etc and the city took their sweet time. Inspectors from the city were even on the roof the day before! My god, what incompetence.

Is there a way we can help?

Advertisement
Back