Off-Topic Building collapsed in Surfside

Advertisement
Just awful. A large section of one of the towers...
Apparently a 40 year old complex.

8162F101-2F60-4B94-B67C-71C8F0DBE130_jpe-1989432.jpg

Advertisement
More than 70 units destroyed.

The mayor said he can’t imagine any reason for the tragedy other than if a sinkhole occurred or someone pulled the supports out of the building.
Burkett confirmed 10 people were treated for injuries at the scene and two were taken to hospitals, one of whom died.
He said he was aware of 15 families that walked out of the building on their own.

Advertisement
Praying they find more people alive. Not a good situation at all the type of collapse, but there could be void spaces that have allowed some to survive.

As a Technical rescue member Ive trained for this and taken many classes for structural collapse. USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) Task Force 1 and 2 teams are right here in Miami and theyre some of the best in the world at what they do.

I’m just praying there weren’t as many residents there (for whatever reason) as it would appear. That is a large building & the odds of surviving wouldn’t be great.

Advertisement
Very scary. Would have to have been either a sinkhole or some sort of failure of the pilings that the building is built on. Sure hope a lot of people were traveling and not at home when the failure took place.

1 dead?

Went from being a tragedy to being a minor miracle if that number holds.

Prayers to those affected. Shouldn't be happening in Miami.

Breaking Edit: 51 unaccounted for. WOW. Just pray for the families.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It's obviously the current prevailing theory but are sinkholes this close to the ocean that common? I know it certainly seems like they've been less of an issue in general in South Florida than the rest of the state too.

It's obviously the current prevailing theory but are sinkholes this close to the ocean that common? I know it certainly seems like they've been less of an issue in general in South Florida than the rest of the state too.
I remember hearing of a very small one in a backyard found during construction back in the 70's. It was east of Old Cutler Rd south near the Deering Estate dock. That's pretty close to the bay.

Advertisement
Back