BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

I agree 100%. I don't like to see Sapp or Irvin or the Rock in Buffalo gear, unless maybe if they have a child at that school. But I don't think it is only about Deion being a friend, former colleague, teammate, or only about his super star status. Deion being a black coach PLUS all of the aforementioned is also part of the equation. Some people don't like it. It's clear they don't. Some people actually are very offended at the prospect of that, which I don't understand. It actually disgusts some people for a black man to blatantly say "I want to see Prime do well." Because you know, let's name some of the others: Kevin Sumlin, Randy Shannon, Charlie Strong, Freeman is at Notre Dame, Shaw, Herm Edwards. NONE of them, maybe except Sumlin or Shaw, have been able to generate the excitement he has. Results remain to be seen but he is off to a good start.

It's a real thing and I am struggling to see why it's wrong, when you consider the standing and history of black coaches in the power 5 ranks. Some are going to facepalm this post, disagree with it, dislike it. And I haven't the slightest idea why it would bother anyone.

Listen, whether it's Toney Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Doug Williams winning the super bowl, Barak Obama the presidency. It is going to generate excitement within our community.

That's fine. Just stay over there. You are no longer welcome at the U. You want to support prime? Send him a text.

But publicly supporting the competition. GTFOH.
The mental gymnastics people are doing to justify this mind boggling. No where in any aspect of life would this be tolerated. If I showed up work wearing the our direct competition shirt or something. My director would be like "WTF is this?!?"

"oh my boy just made Director at our competitors, I am wearing this shirt to support him and his company."

Advertisement
The issue is that Deion is a conman, a dude that has NEVER, EVER given a **** about the culture or our people. As I said in a previous thread, he had no problem being a company man, parroting nonsense until they stopped patting him on the head. Then he suddenly gave a crap, by taking the JSU job, knowing full well he didn't give a **** about that institution either. He was there in an attempt to cut the line in regards to climbing the coaching ranks, and it worked, and to be honest, was an inspired idea. Amazing that as soon as someone came calling, he ran out the door, and his "We're going to do something for the culture, we're going to bring it back" rhetoric went as well. Maybe I wouldn't have a problem with the guy had he kept his mouth shut and not brought in God and everything else, when it was all BS, but he was running an obvious con.

Amazing that all those celebrities that showed up to Jackson to ride his jock magically forgot that school existed once the circus left town. JSU is right back to square one, but hey, at least they got some facility improvements out of it, and an ESPN Gameday appearance. What's even worse that Deion and his people "Borrowed" a lot of the HBCU experience, and brought it to a place where 2% of the student body is Black. Bet you that if he has any significant success at CU, he will try to erase JSU from his narrative.

He's hiding behind our people, just like the prosperity preachers that rob our community of wealth. They use "If you are against me, you are racist" to deflect any and all accountability. Deion is free to do whatever he wants, but keep this in mind: Neither he nor the rest of these Black celebrities ever bothered to support guys like Ty Willingham, David Shaw, Randy Shannon, etc. David Shaw was winning at STANFORD for years, it would have been nice had Black celebrities supported him like older Black celebrities supported John Thompson at Georgetown and John Chaney at Temple. That didn't happen, becaue our celebrities are trash. I'll never get how we went from Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier to Offset and Lil Wayne.

Amazing how someone like Warren Sapp gave minimal if any significant support to Randy Shannon, a brother he KNOWS. Randy coached Sapp, but then again, Warren is a POS so I'm not all that shocked. Warren will jump on any bandwagon, and I am willing to bet people like Zo could do without him being around the program. He's an alum, but honestly, he's that dude at the class reunion no one really wants to deal with.

I am conflicted about a lot of this. I never claim or claimed that Deion was a good man, an honest man, or that his intensions are just. And you aren't the first brother I have heard this take from and I can respect it. Especially the part about our celebs and the past support for guys like John Thompson, Cheney and even Nolan Richardson.

What I will say is that even if much of what you say is correct, to me there is a bigger picture, where the ends justify the means. Meaning, plenty good can come from the success that he is having in terms of opportunities for others. And I think we have to be careful not to hold Deion to a different standards than his non black colleagues? Are many of them not of questionable character? Dabo? who always talks about God? College football has long been a dirty game.

That's fine. Just stay over there. You are no longer welcome at the U. You want to support prime? Send him a text.

But publicly supporting the competition. GTFOH.
The mental gymnastics people are doing to justify this mind boggling. No where in any aspect of life would this be tolerated. If I showed up work wearing the our direct competition shirt or something. My director would be like "WTF is this?!?"

"oh my boy just made Director at our competitors, I am wearing this shirt to support him and his company."
I agree with Zo 100%

I’d have the same opinion of Sanders if he was a green Martian. He’s been an egotistical, look at me showboater since he was a freshman semenhole. No one knows his heart or true intentions. All we can go by are his actions and his actions tell us that he’s craved attention for years and a leopard never changes it’s spots.

Kiss GIF by The Godfather

Advertisement
And if Alonzo feels this way, you bet Mario does too. Don't get it twisted

Our biggest alums supporting a former Nole who stole our biggest recruit last year. What the **** are they thinking
They not thinking like that. They thinking about supporting a friend, being around the circus, and getting a lil positive publicity in the process. Them wearing CU gear, acting like CU grads, and Buff fan girls, is cringe. The statement by Zo is him reminding them that u can support a friend, but to not get too carried away in Deion mania.

The issue is that Deion is a conman, a dude that has NEVER, EVER given a **** about the culture or our people. As I said in a previous thread, he had no problem being a company man, parroting nonsense until they stopped patting him on the head. Then he suddenly gave a crap, by taking the JSU job, knowing full well he didn't give a **** about that institution either. He was there in an attempt to cut the line in regards to climbing the coaching ranks, and it worked, and to be honest, was an inspired idea. Amazing that as soon as someone came calling, he ran out the door, and his "We're going to do something for the culture, we're going to bring it back" rhetoric went as well. Maybe I wouldn't have a problem with the guy had he kept his mouth shut and not brought in God and everything else, when it was all BS, but he was running an obvious con.

Amazing that all those celebrities that showed up to Jackson to ride his jock magically forgot that school existed once the circus left town. JSU is right back to square one, but hey, at least they got some facility improvements out of it, and an ESPN Gameday appearance. What's even worse that Deion and his people "Borrowed" a lot of the HBCU experience, and brought it to a place where 2% of the student body is Black. Bet you that if he has any significant success at CU, he will try to erase JSU from his narrative.

He's hiding behind our people, just like the prosperity preachers that rob our community of wealth. They use "If you are against me, you are racist" to deflect any and all accountability. Deion is free to do whatever he wants, but keep this in mind: Neither he nor the rest of these Black celebrities ever bothered to support guys like Ty Willingham, David Shaw, Randy Shannon, etc. David Shaw was winning at STANFORD for years, it would have been nice had Black celebrities supported him like older Black celebrities supported John Thompson at Georgetown and John Chaney at Temple. That didn't happen, because our celebrities are trash now and the ones that aren't are aging out. I'll never get how we went from Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier to Offset and Lil Wayne. It's going to be a sad day when Denzel Washington, Sam Jackson and that generation leave the scene because the bench is weak.

Amazing how someone like Warren Sapp gave minimal if any significant support to Randy Shannon, a brother he KNOWS. Randy coached Sapp, but then again, Warren is a POS so I'm not all that shocked. Warren will jump on any bandwagon, and I am willing to bet people like Zo could do without him being around the program. He's an alum, but honestly, he's that dude at the class reunion no one really wants to deal with.
This is the issue I have with your statement. How do u know he didn't give a crab about our people's. You need to back your statement up with facts. That con.mam sh@t I ain't buying. In other words he needed to stay at jsu n not get promoted or make more money. Bro gtfoh. F@vk how u know WS didn't support RS. I need facts not your opinion. Your opinion is just what it is. Your opinion

He's hiding behind our people, just like the prosperity preachers that rob our community of wealth. They use "If you are against me, you are racist" to deflect any and all accountability. Deion is free to do whatever he wants, but keep this in mind: Neither he nor the rest of these Black celebrities ever bothered to support guys like Ty Willingham, David Shaw, Randy Shannon, etc. David Shaw was winning at STANFORD for years, it would have been nice had Black celebrities supported him like older Black celebrities supported John Thompson at Georgetown and John Chaney at Temple. That didn't happen, because our celebrities are trash now and the ones that aren't are aging out. I'll never get how we went from Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier to Offset and Lil Wayne. It's going to be a sad day when Denzel Washington, Sam Jackson and that generation leave the scene because the bench is weak.

Jesus ******* Christ amen

Advertisement
Y’all are taking this **** too seriously.

First of all that message from Zo wasn’t really “calling out“ anybody. Not only that, it just ain’t that serious.

These guys being there is not going to make one bit of difference on whether a player signs with us or not, or what our future fortunes are. But go ahead if you want focus on three-toes, go ahead, you are just giving him more attention, which is exactly what he wants.

Just another of the many threads on this guy, and you guys are participating in his hype. Nice going.

That post is the literal definition of a call out. Dude wasn’t commenting on the weather. Swing and miss.

This is the issue I have with your statement. How do u know he didn't give a crab about our people's. You need to back your statement up with facts. That con.mam sh@t I ain't buying. In other words he needed to stay at jsu n not get promoted or make more money. Bro gtfoh. F@vk how u know WS didn't support RS. I need facts not your opinion. Your opinion is just what it is. Your opinion

My thing is, I think it's irrelevant. Even "if true." Is Urban Meyer considered a conman? Dabo? Saban? I am pretty sure to most people here, the answer is yes. Why do we have to hold Deion to any other standard than winning, building and establishing a program, marketing his program and building and maintain a brand? Why is there a qualifier on him? That's why I am willing to concede what @Canedude08 is saying because in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter. As long as he is within the rules. He is doing what any of us would be happy about for our team. Would it have been better that he never went to JSU at all? I don't think anyone with a straight face would say yes.

Weird take to make public.

As professional jobs come and go, there's no reason to put something like this out there. You never fully know where the road will take you and people often end up places they never thought about until the job or money was right.

****, our own Richt got his start at FSU. Randy Shannon at Florida and now Florida State. Mario left us for Bama. There's others and it is what it is, I don't fault any of them for it.

I am conflicted about a lot of this. I never claim or claimed that Deion was a good man, an honest man, or that his intensions are just. And you aren't the first brother I have heard this take from and I can respect it. Especially the part about our celebs and the past support for guys like John Thompson, Cheney and even Nolan Richardson.

What I will say is that even if much of what you say is correct, to me there is a bigger picture, where the ends justify the means. Meaning, plenty good can come from the success that he is having in terms of opportunities for others. And I think we have to be careful not to hold Deion to a different standards than his non black colleagues? Are many of them not of questionable character? Dabo? who always talks about God? College football has long been a dirty game.

Dabo is a scumbag too, just because he's a POS, doesn't mean we have to give Deion a free pass, just because he's Black like us. The issue I have with Deion isn't that he's running this scam, it's more that we all know that when push comes to shove, Deion only cares about Deion. Maybe if we had a track record of Deion doing for others, I'd be like "Hey, we can all come up from this, even if Deion gets the bulk of the benefits", but dude has never been that way. People forget that he had no problem putting his name on a diploma mill, which left a ton of kids in desperate straits. He never bothered to try to make it right, he just moved on. That's Deion.

Advertisement
I’m a Deion supporter. I love what he’s done for the sport and think it’s awesome what he’s brought to Colorado. I also know how much work Mario and this staff has put in to building this thing back and creating positive momentum. If I was winning games on Thursday and then waking up at 5 am on Friday to go recruit all day long only to see OUR OWN alumni repping for someone else on national TV I’d probably be asking wtf too. Out of all the battles I know I’d have to take on that’d probably be one I didn’t expect, especially after one of our biggest wins in the past couple years. Shout out to Zo for putting his nuts on the line.

Miami against the world. Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dwayne never played in the league. Sapp played on completely different teams. Irvin, I could potentially understand, as a former teammate.

Regardless, people need to stop making excuses.

Making excuses? Y’all need to learn that these rivalries only exist on the grid iron against each other and not real life. These are 50+yr old men 30-40 years removed from competing in college. Deion told y’all he didn’t care about rivalries when he was “mentoring” Hester. Plus these guys probably shared the same publicists, pr, and any other management/marketing team and developed relationships when they played. Point being, these guys are friends. Famous people are friends with each other.

As for Irvin, that man was out there looking ridiculous wearing that small “fear the tie” t-shirt as 4-8?Boston College beat Miami in 2011 while we proceeded to give that man an extension in real time. Guess what? He showed up in support for the next 3 head coaches that was hired. We can make Sebastian the HC and Mike will be on the sidelines.

My thing is, I think it's irrelevant. Even "if true." Is Urban Meyer considered a conman? Dabo? Saban? I am pretty sure to most people here, the answer is yes. Why do we have to hold Deion to any other standard than winning, building and establishing a program, marketing his program and building and maintain a brand? Why is there a qualifier on him? That's why I am willing to concede what @Canedude08 is saying because in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter. As long as he is within the rules. He is doing what any of us would be happy about for our team. Would it have been better that he never went to JSU at all? I don't think anyone with a straight face would say yes.
Meyer has always been seen as a trash bag, Dabo is seen as a hypocrite. This is something I've noticed in the Deion camp. There's always this deflection in regards to the guy, forgetting that we as a people have to rise above. We can't afford to pretend that there isn't a double standard, we have to find a way to win despite the obstacles placed in front of us.

What makes what Deion did at JSU so abhorrent is that for us that know the history of HBCUs, we knew full well he was preying on desperation brought on by decades of neglect. Deion knew little about HBCUs, he just saw an opportunity to leverage his fame to get what he wanted without having to go through the trials and tribulations other Black coaches fight through. Bomani Jones said it perfectly "Deion wasn't interested in supporting and building up HBCUs, he was interested in building up HBC"U"" Once he got what we wanted, he bailed. JSU got something out of it, but Deion got the bulk of the benefit. The problem is that he got his, left and now this school is right back where they were before, just with a couple of baubles to show for it. Oh, and now they have to live with that even a dude that didn't need the money or the fame bailed the first moment he could, because underneath it all, he saw HBCUs as less than. That bothers me, because HBCUs serve a key societal purpose, and we need to protect them.

I get it but i'm sure he had friends/NFL stars from FSU that you would think would be there more so than UM greats.

How do we know that no one attended. The media only picks up the celebs and relevant athletes. Apparently, a long list of celebs attended the game. How many people are looking for for former fsu players? We only know about former canes because they are hall of famers or current stars. Warren Sapp (he worked with him on nfl network), Mike Irvin, and The Rock are all noticeable because we’re either nfl stars, worked in broadcasting, or in the rock case a major celebrity that is part owner of a football league.

Advertisement
Back