BuffsInsight: The Coach Deion Sanders from JSU to Colorado Mega Thread

This is the issue I have with your statement. How do u know he didn't give a crab about our people's. You need to back your statement up with facts. That con.mam sh@t I ain't buying. In other words he needed to stay at jsu n not get promoted or make more money. Bro gtfoh. F@vk how u know WS didn't support RS. I need facts not your opinion. Your opinion is just what it is. Your opinion

Deion was NEVER a firebrand in regards to taking courageous stands. Dude was from the Michael Jordan school of public relations. Don't say anything that could possibly lead to you losing money, even if it needed to be said. I may not agree with Charles Barkley on everything, but Barkley will say whatever he feels is right, even if it hurts him financially. Keep in mind, Deion NEVER showed any interest or whatnot in HBCUs outside of once staying that he loved to party at FAMU back when he was at FSU. Deion was fine at NFL Network, being a company man, not daring rock the boat until FSU told him to kick rocks when he tried to pressure them into an interview when Taggart got fired. He was woefully underqualified, but thought "I'm Prime, i'm entitled". He knew that there wasn't a FBS program that would hire him so he found someone that would be dazzled by his celebrity.

Advertisement
Meyer has always been seen as a trash bag, Dabo is seen as a hypocrite. This is something I've noticed in the Deion camp. There's always this deflection in regards to the guy, forgetting that we as a people have to rise above. We can't afford to pretend that there isn't a double standard, we have to find a way to win despite the obstacles placed in front of us.

What makes what Deion did at JSU so abhorrent is that for us that know the history of HBCUs, we knew full well he was preying on desperation brought on by decades of neglect. Deion knew little about HBCUs, he just saw an opportunity to leverage his fame to get what he wanted without having to go through the trials and tribulations other Black coaches fight through. Bomani Jones said it perfectly "Deion wasn't interested in supporting and building up HBCUs, he was interested in building up HBC"U"" Once he got what we wanted, he bailed. JSU got something out of it, but Deion got the bulk of the benefit. The problem is that he got his, left and now this school is right back where they were before, just with a couple of baubles to show for it. Oh, and now they have to live with that even a dude that didn't need the money or the fame bailed the first moment he could, because underneath it all, he saw HBCUs as less than. That bothers me, because HBCUs serve a key societal purpose, and we need to protect them.

Now I disagree with this. Bomani being an HBCU alumni is a bias on this matter. He was hoping he stay for a long time but but if we’re being real, we knew it wasn’t going to be for long. Especially when his 4 star qb son has pro aspirations.

As for taking advantage of jsu, how did he do that? How was he preying on them when he contributed to their visions of enhancing and expanding their facilities through his contacts. Jackson State probably has the best fanbase in all of fcs let alone HBCUs. They had a rich history of winning and he brought winning to the program. He brought more exposure to the program. He got the team an endorsement deal from Under Armour. He had JSU like Pete Carroll did in the early 2000’s. I know Deion has an ego but so do all college coaches. However, from what I gather he and the President bumped heads. I don’t know how true it is but I know that JSU President resigned shortly after Sanders left. I also know that JSU is on their 3rd president in like 4 or 5 years.

Advertisement
I agree 100%. I don't like to see Sapp or Irvin or the Rock in Buffalo gear, unless maybe if they have a child at that school. But I don't think it is only about Deion being a friend, former colleague, teammate, or only about his super star status. Deion being a black coach PLUS all of the aforementioned is also part of the equation. Some people don't like it. It's clear they don't. Some people actually are very offended at the prospect of that, which I don't understand. It actually disgusts some people for a black man to blatantly say "I want to see Prime do well." Because you know, let's name some of the others: Kevin Sumlin, Randy Shannon, Charlie Strong, Freeman is at Notre Dame, Shaw, Herm Edwards. NONE of them, maybe except Sumlin or Shaw, have been able to generate the excitement he has. Results remain to be seen but he is off to a good start.

It's a real thing and I am struggling to see why it's wrong, when you consider the standing and history of black coaches in the power 5 ranks. Some are going to facepalm this post, disagree with it, dislike it. And I haven't the slightest idea why it would bother anyone.

Listen, whether it's Toney Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Doug Williams winning the super bowl, Barak Obama the presidency. It is going to generate excitement within our community.

Man, **** EVERY OUNCE OF THAT BULL****.

It doesn't matter if every single person in the black community wants to see Deion succeed. That's fine.

YOU STILL DON'T HAVE TO PUT ON COLORADO BUFFALOES CLOTHING TO DO THAT.

Just stop it. Stop turning this **** into something that it is not.

Miami alums don't have to wear the merchandise of another university to root for Deion's success.

I like what someone said earlier.

Is Terrell Buckley
Derrick Brooks
Warrick Dunn
Charlie Ward

Out wearing CU ****? I stand with ZO. He checked them like he should. Stop being panzys man. Draw a ******* line. You with us or gtfoh
I will just say to add to this..

Especially when Dion has now said that I didn't graduate from FSU so I'm not really a Nole.

You think the Noles mentioned above appreciate that? Highly doubt it.

At least the Rock mentioned Miami alot yesterday. And Colorado love will shift when they play the big boys of the Pac12. L's. will start stacking.

Advertisement
Now I disagree with this. Bomani being an HBCU alumni is a bias on this matter. He was hoping he stay for a long time but but if we’re being real, we knew it wasn’t going to be for long. Especially when his 4 star qb son has pro aspirations.

As for taking advantage of jsu, how did he do that? How was he preying on them when he contributed to their visions of enhancing and expanding their facilities through his contacts. Jackson State probably has the best fanbase in all of fcs let alone HBCUs. They had a rich history of winning and he brought winning to the program. He brought more exposure to the program. He got the team an endorsement deal from Under Armour. He had JSU like Pete Carroll did in the early 2000’s. I know Deion has an ego but so do all college coaches. However, from what I gather he and the President bumped heads. I don’t know how true it is but I know that JSU President resigned shortly after Sanders left. I also know that JSU is on their 3rd president in like 4 or 5 years.
Deion needed a coaching job to take advantage of certain commercial opportunities. You think those Geico commercials are happening if Deion is working at the NFL Network? That's what was always funny about his cultists bragging that Deion was working at a reduced salary. He made a TON from commercials that came along because he was coaching and back in the news. Like I said before, JSU got something out of it, but honestly a lot of it was fleeting. They are right back at square one because the celebrities that were jocking Deion went right back to ignoring HBCUs, mostly because most of our celebrities today are poorly educated and have little to no understanding of the unique place those institutions have played in our history.

Maybe people wouldn't feel some kind of way had Deion not preyed on an institution that had been neglected for decades. When you tell people "God told me that I needed to be here" and "I am doing this for our people" , but the moment you have any success, you have your agent attempting to link you to any and every job that comes open, it's a con job. If Deion would have approached this like any other coach and said "I'm happy to be at JSU, I feel like I have a job to do here and I'm going to do the best I can to win on the field", people would have known what was up.

He's an incredible bull****ter, as is any professional wrestler, but he, a truly gifted one...but of late, our boy has gotten in too deep in Hollywoo. He's got that thousand mile stare and the lines of reality are all blended for him. Its like he's The Rock in THEY LIVE. Just pretending to be what it thinks Dwayne Johnson The Rock is supposed to act like in public. Hulk Hogan had that same thing to him until he legitimately had a (very public) breakdown. Whole life is a performance.

Remember Cena apologizing to the Chinese? Same look in his eyes. It gets everybody.
What Are You Talking About Harrison Ford GIF by Star Wars

Weird look for Rock and Irvin for sure, but they’ve supported UM thru thick and thin. (Sapp = who cares)

But is it more telling that there aren’t any former Noles supporting this guy?

He is the biggest Nole..who gonna be their Chris Wienke?.

They have no pull.

I dont understand wearing the gear n all that..i agree with Zo. If u wanna go ..take the trip. but the Jersey and the CU gear...naw fam.

No but its a weird look for them to show up like that for a dude that's clearly negative recruiting their school.

Bruh unless Deion is challenging for a title, he is no threat to UM. Especially, for local recruits. Tbh, if Hunter in Cormani weren’t DBs I doubt they would go there. Imo, this is like Hawaii and Boise in the late 2000’s. They were exciting and fun but we never thought they were going to win a national championship. No one thinks Deion will win a championship. It’s just friends being happy to see their friend coach big time football and after being successful on the fcs level. You want them to not support their friend because of 40 years ago in college? Zo don’t even believe that, he’s just trying to keep this momentum going and keep the fanbase engaged.

Advertisement
Bruh unless Deion is challenging for a title, he is no threat to UM. Especially, for local recruits. Tbh, if Hunter in Cormani weren’t DBs I doubt they would go there. Imo, this is like Hawaii and Boise in the late 2000’s. They were exciting and fun but we never thought they were going to win a national championship. No one thinks Deion will win a championship. It’s just friends being happy to see their friend coach big time football and after being successful on the fcs level. You want them to not support their friend because of 40 years ago in college? Zo don’t even believe that, he’s just trying to keep this momentum going and keep the fanbase engaged.

Okay...but he is still negative recruiting UM.
Regardless of how effective it is or isn't.
My opinion it's that it's weird for them to show up for a dude that's negative recruiting UM. You don't have to agree with my opinion.

Deion needed a coaching job to take advantage of certain commercial opportunities. You think those Geico commercials are happening if Deion is working at the NFL Network? That's what was always funny about his cultists bragging that Deion was working at a reduced salary. He made a TON from commercials that came along because he was coaching and back in the news. Like I said before, JSU got something out of it, but honestly a lot of it was fleeting. They are right back at square one because the celebrities that were jocking Deion went right back to ignoring HBCUs, mostly because most of our celebrities today are poorly educated and have little to no understanding of the unique place those institutions have played in our history.

Maybe people wouldn't feel some kind of way had Deion not preyed on an institution that had been neglected for decades. When you tell people "God told me that I needed to be here" and "I am doing this for our people" , but the moment you have any success, you have your agent attempting to link you to any and every job that comes open, it's a con job. If Deion would have approached this like any other coach and said "I'm happy to be at JSU, I feel like I have a job to do here and I'm going to do the best I can to win on the field", people would have known what was up.

Hey no matter what he said, he gave them a good quality team for 2 years. Something they hadn’t seen for decades. They are back to square one because of other issues. The coaches have to coach and recruit. The celebrities are still attending games but if they lose they won’t. I can understand your point if the school got nothing out of it. Endorsement deals, facility upgrades, increased enrollment, and the celebrity attendance are still there (Diddy attended the first game of the season). They just have to win. And he can’t control what happens at other programs. AAMU, Southern, Grambling, BCU (another issue), and ASU have to carry their weight.

Advertisement
Okay...but he is still negative recruiting UM.
Regardless of how effective it is or isn't.
My opinion it's that it's weird for them to show up for a dude that's negative recruiting UM. You don't have to agree with my opinion.

And you don’t have to agree with my opinion. Aren’t you posting in this forum responding to a topic? I’m responding as well. That’s engagement. I’m just saying, they are friends. Their former teams aren’t going to outweigh their friendships. Friends support friends. That’s why Irvin is supporting his former teammate and Sapp is supporting his former colleague. Imo, it’s not hard to understand.

Are people in here really saying the guy is not a threat to UM recruiting. Were you born freaking yesterday? Did you not see our class drop from 4-7 because of this no substance look at me garbage?

I said that, I’m only a couple posts above you. Just quote me. Imo, I don’t think he’s a threat. We lost 2 5star DBs to him. It hurts but Imo if they played any other positions they would have went somewhere else. Unless this man is winning a championship, our main recruits aren’t just going to Colorado.

And you don’t have to agree with my opinion. Aren’t you posting in this forum responding to a topic? I’m responding as well. That’s engagement. I’m just saying, they are friends. Their former teams aren’t going to outweigh their friendships. Friends support friends. That’s why Irvin is supporting his former teammate and Sapp is supporting his former colleague. Imo, it’s not hard to understand.

Fair enough.

Advertisement
Back