Bruce Feldman Quote

PittsburghCane

Redshirt Freshman
Feldman talking with Ryan Russillo about his Swag article about the U and on the subject of recruiting from the perspective of former players.

“If you have to kiss the players butt for him to come to Miami hes not the kind of player to take.”

Thus quote needs to be on the mindset of our coaches recruiting. So we don’t miss out on players that want to be here and to not waste time on those that just want to use us.

Around the 15 min mark for the U Section.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You oldheads haven't even seen a full 4 year cycle of SFL HS kids being able to switch HS at will. Not to mention the peewee leagues and 7 on 7. These kids are going to be raised as mercenaries and frontrunners from birth. There will be less Ivey's, Badgers, and Keontra's to choose from moving forward.

I get everything you're saying and i'm not discounting it, but we are losing the arms race. Whether it's kissing *** or dropping bag we're losing at both. The ONLY thing that masks that is winning. If we have to kiss a little *** to get back to winning than so be it IMO.

Denzel Washington isn't coming here to make a lifetime channel movie about the quite kids who stayed at miami to line up against all world teams.

Feldman talking with Ryan Russillo about his Swag article about the U and on the subject of recruiting from the perspective of former players.

“If you have to kiss the players butt for him to come to Miami hes not the kind of player to take.”

Thus quote needs to be on the mindset of our coaches recruiting. So we don’t miss out on players that want to be here and to not waste time on those that just want to use us.

Beautiful in theory.

How much *** do you think Alabama, OSU, Clem$on & UGA would be having to kiss if their boosters weren't hauling in kids with 5-6 figure salaries?

Kissing butt is part of the process unfortunately......but in our primadonna area of the Country, sadly, I have seen too many stellar players leave for the dinero after claiming they are all Cane. You never really know on all of them....you recruit hard and let the chips fall where they may. The kids that can't be bought that REALLY want to be Hurricanes will be Hurricanes, unless they just aren't good nuff.

UM

Advertisement

I actually just listened to this Dual Threat today - really good interview with Feldman and he's right; a lot of what made Miami great was getting kids who wanted to be here and wanted to fight for a starting spot. He also mentioned how a lot of people mistake entitlement for swagger which is how we ended up with so may 4-5 star misses in the mid-to-late 2000s. Lastly, he mentioned that some of the old-guard Miami players talked about how the players themselves were both recruiters and filters - they would recruit other players and pass on to the coaches whether the kid was Miami material.

Beautiful in theory.

How much *** do you think Alabama, OSU, Clem$on & UGA would be having to kiss if their boosters weren't hauling in kids with 5-6 figure salaries?

Kissing butt is part of the process unfortunately......but in our primadonna area of the Country, sadly, I have seen too many stellar players leave for the dinero after claiming they are all Cane. You never really know on all of them....you recruit hard and let the chips fall where they may. The kids that can't be bought that REALLY want to be Hurricanes will be Hurricanes, unless they just aren't good nuff.

UM
If u droppin bags u dont have to kiss ***

I actually just listened to this Dual Threat today - really good interview with Feldman and he's right; a lot of what made Miami great was getting kids who wanted to be here and wanted to fight for a starting spot. He also mentioned how a lot of people mistake entitlement for swagger which is how we ended up with so may 4-5 star misses in the mid-to-late 2000s. Lastly, he mentioned that some of the old-guard Miami players talked about how the players themselves were both recruiters and filters - they would recruit other players and pass on to the coaches whether the kid was Miami material.
I think sometimes at first elite kids want to be here but then they go into the recruiting process and get there first bag then that "I want to go to Miami" thing is gone. money talks

Advertisement
Makes sense to avoid the cancers like the Keith Bryants and Josh Jobes. We stopped playing Derick Hunter's game early on. And Richt told Trevon Grimes to pound sand, which I think was the right call.

But you don't give up on kids like Jeudy or Stevenson until the minute they've sent in their LOI, even knowing you have a very low chance to land them. You have to battle for that talent to the end.

I think the coaches are mostly handling this the right way right now. Fill 80% of your class by August, leave 5-7 spots for the elite kids and late bloomers, fill gaps with portal/JUCO kids.

That's good an all, but if you're playing that game then you better be **** good at finding the high ceiling 3 star guys and developing them...which we have also sucked at for a long time (with a few exceptions).

Advertisement
You get as many of the best players as you can, by any means necessary, that’s we pay these guys millions to just get the job done

You oldheads haven't even seen a full 4 year cycle of SFL HS kids being able to switch HS at will. Not to mention the peewee leagues and 7 on 7. These kids are going to be raised as mercenaries and frontrunners from birth. There will be less Ivey's, Badgers, and Keontra's to choose from moving forward.

I get everything you're saying and i'm not discounting it, but we are losing the arms race. Whether it's kissing *** or dropping bag we're losing at both. The ONLY thing that masks that is winning. If we have to kiss a little *** to get back to winning than so be it IMO.

Denzel Washington isn't coming here to make a lifetime channel movie about the quite kids who stayed at miami to line up against all world teams.

Drake did.

Yes and no

Yes there are kids that want the 'love' but there are also kids who carry themselves like full grown adults. Plus every other team is dealing with the same "problem" so it's not like it's just us.

Our problem is we havent evaluated kids properly and got away from taking 'MIAMI' guys. From santonio Holmes to amari Cooper, we've let guys who fit everything THE U is about leave and signed camp warriors or, in some cases, guys who just arent 'MIAMI' guys.

UM isnt some small college town away from everything. You can get very distracted down here if you arent focused. We need to place emphasis on the guys who are willing to put the work in all summer instead of guys who want to chill on SoBe.

We also cant have the BAMAs/Clemson's of the world beating us to local recruits. That just doesnt make any sense!

tthen fans get mad when manny pulls an offer lol

Advertisement
Back