Bruce Feldman Article

Advertisement
University of Miami alum Mark Richt came home to take over the Hurricanes’ beleaguered program three years ago, pumped new life into UM and, more importantly, helped raise a bunch of money for a program that really, really needed it. The former Georgia coach had a strong first two seasons with Miami, peaking at No. 2 in the polls last season before losing the final three games.
Richt closed on a top-10 recruiting class in February, but Miami went into a tailspin in the 2018 season. Richt’s offense lacked sizzle or much production. The best thing his tenure had going for it was the work of defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, but he left to become the Temple head coach this month, and a handful of recruits bailed. The Hurricanes finished 7-6, losing five of their last seven, including a 35-3 Pinstripe Bowl rout at the hands of Wisconsin. The 2019 signing class didn’t rank in the top 30 after the early period.
Richt announced his retirement Sunday morning, leaving a very interesting void in Coral Gables. Rumblings of Richt stepping down heated up Saturday night. A person with direct knowledge of the matter told The Athletic on the condition of anonymity that a big reason for Richt’s exit is that he was under pressure to remove his son Jon from the Hurricanes coaching staff. Jon Richt was the Hurricanes’ quarterbacks coach.
Several of the candidates who were in the mix three years ago likely will get strong consideration this time around, especially because a few of those options have only strengthened their causes in interim.
Let’s start with the local option, Butch Davis, who is right across town at FIU. Two decades ago, Davis rebuilt the ’Canes from devastating NCAA sanctions and delivered the most talented roster in college football history, but he left for the NFL before leading that group to a national title. Davis turned 67 this year, but he clearly hasn’t lost his touch. He’s worked wonders in two years at FIU, having just led the school to its first nine-win season. His teams have won 17 games in his first two years there, which is as many as FIU won in the previous five seasons combined. A Jimmy Johnson disciple, Davis is a recruiting machine.
The other guy who also has really raised his profile is Mario Cristobal, a former Miami offensive lineman and assistant coach. Another ferocious recruiting beast, Cristobal has provided Oregon with a jolt of energy and toughness in his first season as head coach and just landed the Ducks’ first top-10 signing class, with it ranking No. 5. Cristobal is a native son, and Miami has long been his dream job, but he’s got a really good situation in Eugene and is sitting on a team that should be stacked in 2019. There’s also this, which should make anxious Ducks fans feel a little better: Cristobal has a $10 million buyout through Jan. 31, 2019. After that, it drops to $8 million.
If Richt had stepped down a few weeks earlier, Diaz would have seemed like a very logical option to slide in, but he accepted the Temple job. Diaz is one of the smartest people in coaching and is a native son, too. He’s also the brains behind the Hurricanes’ Turnover Chain.
Former Rutgers and Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano was a serious candidate for this vacancy a few years ago. Schiano, now Ohio State’s defensive coordinator, is a former Miami defensive coordinator under Davis. He consistently produced some of the highest academic-achieving programs in college football at Rutgers and had a 5-1 record in bowls. Some folks around UM have been very impressed with him and his plan for the ’Canes, but I’m not sure if he’ll be in the mix this time around.
Another local candidate is up in Boca Raton, FAU’s Lane Kiffin. He had a big first year but a disappointing second season with the Owls. Lord knows he’d generate a lot of buzz. He also might be able to bring Jalen Hurts, his former quarterback from Alabama, with him as a graduate transfer. I’m not sure Miami would sign on for that ride, though.
One wild card who might intrigue Miami folks is Syracuse’s Dino Babers, who has invigorated what was a dud of a program. Babers has an exciting offensive system and persona. He just led the Orange to a 10-win season in Year 3 there, after winning big at Bowling Green (and that program sunk after he left). Babers’ first head coaching job was at FCS Eastern Illinois, which he led to a 12-win season in his second year after taking over a two-win program. That’s also where he turned quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo into an NFL prospect.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Butch or Babers. That's it.

There’s so many candidates out there and it shouldn’t be either of those. If barbers wasn’t 58 or whatever I’d be cool with it. Butch is too old for me to get behind. Both are still very energetic for their age but I could see us doing much better.

There’s so many good DCs out there that could keep this defense where it’s at. We need an offensive guru. I like Babers for that reason though. There’s offensive talent here to do DAMAGE next year.

So many teams would kill to have Lingard, Deejay, Davis, Asa, Brevin, Pope, Hightower, Daq, etc. Too many weapons not to take advantage of

Advertisement
Babers. He has gotten an up close and personal *** whopping of what Miami D is all about. I think he keeps the defensive philosophy. We just need some offense. He knows offense.

There’s so many candidates out there and it shouldn’t be either of those. If barbers wasn’t 58 or whatever I’d be cool with it. Butch is too old for me to get behind. Both are still very energetic for their age but I could see us doing much better.

There’s so many good DCs out there that could keep this defense where it’s at. We need an offensive guru. I like Babers for that reason though. There’s offensive talent here to do DAMAGE next year.

So many teams would kill to have Lingard, Deejay, Davis, Asa, Brevin, Pope, Hightower, Daq, etc. Too many weapons not to take advantage of
If Syracuse's offense averaged 40 ppg, how much could Miami's average?

Let’s start with the local option, Butch Davis, who is right across town at FIU. Two decades ago, Davis rebuilt the ’Canes from devastating NCAA sanctions and delivered the most talented roster in college football history, but he left for the NFL before leading that group to a national title. Davis turned 67 this year, but he clearly hasn’t lost his touch. He’s worked wonders in two years at FIU, having just led the school to its first nine-win season. His teams have won 17 games in his first two years there, which is as many as FIU won in the previous five seasons combined. A Jimmy Johnson disciple, Davis is a recruiting machine.
I think Dynasty just came his pants

Advertisement
Back