Bruce Brown is a Piston

Advertisement
Should have came back...

[From an old post I had]

I think it is obvious but I am not expert. I am not a GM or a scout. In addition, I don't know who these people are that rank these players in those mocks. I don't know of their accuracy (outside of the first 10 picks). Obviously any idiot can take a stab in the dark and come up with a list of the players who will likely get drafted (early).

With that said, I don't see why Bruce Brown is a first round pick given that...

1. He didn't improve. The fact that his shooting was worse than his freshman year is somewhat concerning.

2. He was injured for a good portion of the season (against the best competition).

3. He might not be 100% during those camps/tryouts/showcases etc.

In addition...Who knows what other guards are coming out?

Unless someone shows me some data showing a 22 YO (over a 21 YO) will be drafted significantly lower, he should stay.

If the kid came back and averaged 15.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG and 4.0 APG. If he could finish at the rim and shoot 37%-38% from 3PT, that would really be special. I think those numbers are well within reach.

Bruce plays good defense. That is why IMO he'll stick with Detroit

Surprised by the doubt ....but that's what boards are for differences of opinions

Last edited:
Advertisement
He needed to go. If he stayed another year he would have been starting his pro career at 23. That's practically a senior citizen by nba draft standards. He's simply a 2nd round talent.

Should have came back...

[From an old post I had]

I think it is obvious but I am not expert. I am not a GM or a scout. In addition, I don't know who these people are that rank these players in those mocks. I don't know of their accuracy (outside of the first 10 picks). Obviously any idiot can take a stab in the dark and come up with a list of the players who will likely get drafted (early).

With that said, I don't see why Bruce Brown is a first round pick given that...

1. He didn't improve. The fact that his shooting was worse than his freshman year is somewhat concerning.

2. He was injured for a good portion of the season (against the best competition).

3. He might not be 100% during those camps/tryouts/showcases etc.

In addition...Who knows what other guards are coming out?

Unless someone shows me some data showing a 22 YO (over a 21 YO) will be drafted significantly lower, he should stay.

If the kid came back and averaged 15.0 PPG, 8.0 RPG and 4.0 APG. If he could finish at the rim and shoot 37%-38% from 3PT, that would really be special. I think those numbers are well within reach.
I agree that Bruce didn't help himself. All this talk about the NBA being his dream, he definitely lost patience and went too soon. Maybe he was trying to keep with up Lonnie. I heard some talk about him running to the draft because of his age, but I think he could have sacrificed one more year of age (23) for one good year in college which could have propelled him to the first round.

Now if his family is struggling, then that would be another issue.

He would have maybe snuck into the first round had he come back shot the ball better stayed healthy.

He is a good enough defender and rebounder that if he showed improvements in scoring/shooting he could have been a 1st rounder. I don’t buy he is is simply a 2nd round talent.

What I didn't get was how his shooting from all ranges got markedly worse in his second year at UM. The injury was not part of that. Poster player for why it's sometimes better NOT to return.

Advertisement
What I didn't get was how his shooting from all ranges got markedly worse in his second year at UM. The injury was not part of that. Poster player for why it's sometimes better NOT to return.
Or at least if you're going to return, get better. To return and produce less is not a good look.

He needed to go. If he stayed another year he would have been starting his pro career at 23. That's practically a senior citizen by nba draft standards. He's simply a 2nd round talent.

Does anyone know why the recruiting rankings don't take into consideration that these kids are 20 years old playing against 17 year olds their senior year? The same thing happened with Jobe. I think Jobe will be exposed by playing with people his own age.

When asked by Steven A. yesterday, Seth Greenberg said BB was the guy who could be the surprise of the draft

Last edited:
When asked by Steven A. yesterday, Seth Greenberg said BB was the guy who could be the surprise of the draft

And, he could be. This is the guy who dropped 30 on UNC as a frosh. Just didn't see that type of game this past season before he got hut.

Advertisement
I'm not extremely familiar with the coaching stylings of Dwane Casey but I'd probably have more confidence in this working out if Stan Van Gundy was in Detroit.

I get the 23 yrs old aspect of the arguments here but I still think he should've sided with trying to sneak into the first round next year and get picked by a good team that may have less issue with his age and more appreciation of the faster bench depth he might provide. I just find 2nd round picks to seem soooooo disposable by NBA teams that he really better wow them sooner rather than later in Detroit for this to have been remotely the right call.

Does anyone know why the recruiting rankings don't take into consideration that these kids are 20 years old playing against 17 year olds their senior year? The same thing happened with Jobe. I think Jobe will be exposed by playing with people his own age.

This is a good point that I never thought about. Brown Jr. looked like a grown man as a freshman because he was basically a grown man as a freshman.

He was injured the whole season. First his wrist, then his leg. Like I said before, he was like Mark Walton Jr. Contract year injury bust.

Advertisement

Can you please provide me with the data that shows a 22 YO (over a 21 YO) will be drafted significantly lower?

I heard some talk about him running to the draft because of his age, but I think he could have sacrificed one more year of age (23) for one good year in college which could have propelled him to the first round.

[Not you, just in general] I think people are vomiting this illogical age comment. Is there any data that shows a 22 YO (over a 21 YO) will be drafted significantly lower?

Then you add in the fact that he was injured and regressed.

[Not you, just in general] I think people are vomiting this illogical age comment. Is there any data that shows a 22 YO (over a 21 YO) will be drafted significantly lower?

Then you add in the fact that he was injured and regressed.
I mean its pretty obvious that you start losing your potential the older you get. Its pretty obvious that lesser talented younger players get drafted ahead of more talented older players every season. Do you not pay attention to the draft at all?

Only 7 Juniors and Seniors were taken in the first round this year meanwhile 20 freshman and sophomores were selected in the first. Only 2 players 22 y/o or older were drafted in the first round meanwhile 7 21 y/o players went in the first round.

edit- in 2017 only 3 players were taken in the first round at 22y/o or older.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back