Brown speaks on offensive struggles and locker room "cancers"

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
Regarding criticism of UM’s play-calling, offensive coordinator/RB coach Thomas Brown echoed Mark Richt after Tuesday's practice, saying execution was to blame rather than the plays themselves.

“I don’t really care about that, people complain about everything, especially when things aren’t going well,” Brown said. “If we call the same plays and we execute, have 35 points a game, no one would say a word about stuff we’re calling. The biggest thing from a play calling standpoint is our guys executing it - like I said last week it may be an issue of playing the wrong guys, playing too many guys. And if we get to the point we actually line up and execute our offense and we get beat, we can talk about checking the play calls.

“You look around the country, see guys do a bunch of different stuff. Most of what we do is comparable to other people. We believe in what we do, it’s worked for us in the past, worked for us here at Miami already this season. If we coach our guys up and execute it, we’ll be fine.”

Responding to the losses that are beginning to mount and possibly losing the team, Brown said that there are too many guys on the roster that haven't bought into the program, and are not all for the team.

“I told the offense after we got done with practice today there should be two groups of guys on this team - the small group of guys that lead and the rest that follow,” Brown said. “And right now we have too many third party guys who are not leaders and not following. We either need to get rid of those guys or get them on board to help this whole team.”

So, if you’re not a leader or a follower, what does the third party consist of?

“You’re a cancer is what you are,” he said. “So not a good thing... Cancer in the body spreads, takes over everything. So one is enough. I’m not trying to call out individual guys. There’s only two categories you fit in: part of the guys who are leading this team or a guy that’s following. There’s not room for anyone else.”

Although Brown feels the team has more cancers than acceptable, he does believe there are plenty of leaders as well.

"We have more than enough guys that are leaders," Brown said. “We have to learn from the mistakes that we made, move on and don’t turn two losses into three.”

Despite three losses and the Canes now a longshot to win the Coastal division, Brown says the year is not lost.

“The season is not over… lots to play for," Brown said. "Guys are as frustrated as we are, we have to find ways to fix it. The bottom line is we have to play better.”

How did practice go today?

"Practice was not terrible, but there is a standard that we have that we're not living up to," Brown said. "Our guys, young guys in particular, have to understand you can't take reps off."

Advertisement
Advertisement
who do these guys think is responsible for players not executing what they are calling? It's like regurgitating what golden and duh tried to spout off to us all those years.

Advertisement
What a douchebag!!!!!!!!

hey douche you are right if the team was scoring 35 a points a game yeah no one would be complaining about the play calling and it would also mean that we would be undefeated BUT YOU ARE NOOOOOOOTTTTTT SCORING 35 /GAME! A-HOLE! and we are 5-3!

Real talk: this guy wants to talk about scoring 35 points a game -- in the time since the Jesus Freaks arrived on campus our offense has scored 35 or more points against P5 opponents twice.

Maybe stop studying a 2000 year old book and tweeting out bible verses 10x a day and start studying modern offenses.

The thing about “leaders” is that the locker room will NEVER respect the guys that kiss *** & give the appearance of “leading” just to gain favor of the coaches. The poster child for this is DeeJay Dallas. Players don’t respect this guy, no matter how much Brown wants his GA boy to be the go to guy.

Advertisement
Regarding criticism of UM’s play-calling, offensive coordinator/RB coach Thomas Brown echoed Mark Richt after Tuesday's practice, saying execution was to blame rather than the plays themselves.

“I don’t really care about that, people complain about everything, especially when things aren’t going well,” Brown said. “If we call the same plays and we execute, have 35 points a game, no one would say a word about stuff we’re calling. The biggest thing from a play calling standpoint is our guys executing it - like I said last week it may be an issue of playing the wrong guys, playing too many guys. And if we get to the point we actually line up and execute our offense and we get beat, we can talk about checking the play calls. You look around the country, see guys do a bunch of different stuff. Most of what we do is comparable to other people. We believe in what we do, it’s worked for us in the past, worked for us here at Miami already this season. If we coach our guys up and execute it, we’ll be fine.”

Responding to the losses that are beginning to mount and possibly losing the team, Brown said that there are too many guys on the roster that haven't bought into the program, and are not all for the team.

“I told the offense after we got done with practice today there should be two groups of guys on this team - the small group of guys that lead and the rest that follow,” Brown said. “And right now we have too many third party guys who are not leaders and not following. We either need to get rid of those guys or get them on board to help this whole team.”

So, if you’re not a leader or a follower, what does the third party consist of?

“You’re a cancer is what you are,” he said. “So not a good thing... Cancer in the body spreads, takes over everything. So one is enough. I’m not trying to call out individual guys. There’s only two categories you fit in: part of the guys who are leading this team or a guy that’s following. There’s not room for anyone else.”

Although Brown feels the team has more cancers than acceptable, he does believe there are plenty of leaders as well.

"We have more than enough guys that are leaders," Brown said. “We have to learn from the mistakes that we made, move on and don’t turn two losses into three.”

Despite three losses and the Canes now a longshot to win the Coastal division, Brown says the year is not lost.

“The season is not over… lots to play for," Brown said. "Guys are as frustrated as we are, we have to find ways to fix it. The bottom line is we have to play better.”

How did practice go today?

"Practice was not terrible, but there is a standard that we have that we're not living up to," Brown said. "Our guys, young guys in particular, have to understand you can't take reps off."

Gotcha so terrible is the standard and we are supposed to be happy if its not that....

Advertisement
Duke smells the blood in the water , especially on our home turf. If something goes wrong I mean anything at all goes south on our first drive we are finished we're very fragile mentally right now .

I really never ever would have thought I'd be saying things like this about our team , oh my

"Practice was not terrible...."
Awesome.

I know right. Year 3 and practices are not yet running like clockwork? You gonna blame players for that too?

Nah, the real cancer is lack of accountability, lack of direction, and lack of offensive identity... In year fckin 3?!?! Brown needs to remember that all sht flows downhill.

Advertisement
Back