Brown speaks on changes at QB, RB, and OL

Advertisement
How do you know that? You can see the future? What will the next Powerball numbers be please?
LOL Calm down, guy. I am a huge fan of Deejay. Not bashing the kid at all. I'm just pointing out that it isn't some asinine thing that the RB coach would talk about not having turnovers the week after our RBs put several critical balls on the turf.

The O is going through the motions and having younger guys also doesn't help. As far as going through the motions, that is on the coaches. Give them something exciting to want to execute. They have given up on the current scheme.

With the Canes on a three game’ losing streak and the offense losing their way, OC/RB coach Thomas Brown says the team needs to go back to the drawing board and find something that works.

“We have to do a better job of preparing our guys, have to execute better,” Brown said. “Getting tired of saying it every week, but we have to go back to the drawing board and re-think some things. The biggest thing is taking care of the football, can’t turn the ball over. We had two turnovers each of the last three weeks, which is the fastest way to lose a game, penalties on top of that.”

What are the issues on offense?

“A little bit of everything,” Brown said. “Mistakes here or there, playing a bunch of young guys at different spots, which is not an excuse, but we have to grow those guys up as much as possible. But the biggest thing is not turn the ball over. Take care of the football we can put together some drives, have some explosive plays and put points on the board.”

Freshman QB N’Kosi Perry was taking first team reps in the early portion of practice this morning and Brown said, between Perry and Malik Rosier, the player who has the best week of practice will against GT on Saturday.

“You have to earn the right to play,” Brown said. “It’s not just about that position, every position everyone has open competition.”

Navaughn Donaldson and Jahair Jones were both demoted to the second team O-Line this week and taking over with the ones the last two days has been Hayden Mahoney and Venzell Boulware.

“It’s no different than quarterback, running back or receiver,” Brown said. “The best guys that compete the best in practice and end up playing the best in the game will play for us in the future.”

With Travis Homer sitting out of practice with a calf injury and Lorenzo Lingard sidelined for the season with a knee injury, it was Cam Davis, not Robert Burns, that was taking second team reps at RB today. Brown said Davis has earned the right to play against GT this week.

“We had a little package of plays for him in the last game, the weather kind of slowed some of that stuff down,” Brown said. “But he’s definitely worked himself into a spot. He’ll play this week. I’m excited with his progress.”

If Homer cannot go, DeeJay Dallas will get the starting nod at RB this week. Dallas was a mixed bag against Duke last week, rushing for a career high 124 yards, but also put the ball on the ground with two costly fumbles.

“Very uncharacteristic, even in practice I can’t remember a fumble,” Brown said of Dallas. “So for him to have one fumble let alone two fumbles is something that we have to get fixed and he’ll get fixed…I believe in trusting those players and letting those guys know when you make a mistake you don’t come out of the game and be done forever. But we’ll learn from it, get better from it, and hopefully it won’t happen again.”

On freshman WR Mark Pope: “He’s doing well,” Brown said. “Being able to move the depth chart some on special teams helped out as well - Cam played a bunch for us the last few weeks on special teams, in that aspect, and Pope is doing well. He’s picking up the system better, is learning how to practice better. He’ll be in a spot to help us.”
the young guys making mistake thing is ok if tito and cager didnt cost us games with late penatlies.

Advertisement
Glad Jones and Donaldson are demoted. Jones is has and will always be a JAG on his best day and Donaldson has been horse**** even when moved inside. Nothing but regression

That's a little harsh man. Everybody deserves 1 bad game every once in a while. Plus, it was pouring out there! DeeJay is legit. He will bounce back and learn from this. He's another victim of this tragic coaching staff and this tragic season. So many kids on this t̶e̶a̶m̶ offense are uber talented but their talents are being wasted or they are not being put in a position to get better. It's a **** shame!! F U RICHT!!

DeeJay is really good, that can’t be disputed, the problem is that he & a few other guys aren’t held to the same standards as everyone else. I GUARANTEE you that when the other players on offense saw those comments, they just rolled their eyes. What Brown just did in the media is why there is tension in the locker room with the younger kids. THE YOUNG GUYS GET BLAMED & HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR EVERYTHING and the teachers pets just skate.

"“A little bit of everything,” Brown said. “Mistakes here or there, playing a bunch of young guys at different spots, which is not an excuse, but we have to grow those guys up as much as possible. But the biggest thing is not turn the ball over. Take care of the football we can put together some drives, have some explosive plays and put points on the board.

did not Richt mention that explosive plays were not all that necessary?

Advertisement
Seeing positive changes to the offense is believing and not sure I can subject my eyes to the pain to watch the offense this week.

"“You have to earn the right to play,” Brown said. "

what did the offensive line do to earn its right to play?

Glad Jones and Donaldson are demoted. Jones is has and will always be a JAG on his best day and Donaldson has been horse**** even when moved inside. Nothing but regression
Remember before the season started Richt was going on about Jones being the most improved, etc?

LOL at all of us (myself included) who thought Donaldson was gonna be something special on the OL. Last time I get fooled by a 4 star rating on an OL from Miami (I've come to realize after all these decades that there is no such thing). 4 star OL from Miami = 2 star from Michigan, Wisconsin or wherever they grow/develop the real thing.

Advertisement
Remember before the season started Richt was going on about Jones being the most improved, etc?
Funny, remember the same kind of talk about how great Malik was. Gonna throw and run it all over the yard on people with a 3 headed monster too.
Now our best offense is "please god let it downpour"

DeeJay is really good, that can’t be disputed, the problem is that he & a few other guys aren’t held to the same standards as everyone else. I GUARANTEE you that when the other players on offense saw those comments, they just rolled their eyes. What Brown just did in the media is why there is tension in the locker room with the younger kids. THE YOUNG GUYS GET BLAMED & HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR EVERYTHING and the teachers pets just skate.
I get what you're saying now.

Did the turnovers hurt us? Of course they did, as Duke scored 10 points off of them on short fields. However, the way this interview makes it sound, the turnovers were the reason that our offense struggled, which was clearly not the case. That's especially true since the Duke game was just a continuation of at least the two terrible offensive games before, and really, the last couple years.

Advertisement
Brown said. “Getting tired of saying it every week,

Getting tired of hearing the same bullchit every week, coach. Don't even need to read the quotes, pretty much know what you're going to say. And we know it's because you just don't know what else to say, other than cliches.

Any idiot watching the game on TV can tell you it's bad to put the ball on the ground. It takes a real man to stand up there and say it because it's about all he knows, and then tell the fans, media, and past coaches that they don't know what they're talking about.

I'm so done with this guy. I may dislike him more at this point than the Richts, with the way he comes with this fake macho crap every week.

“Execution”

It’s been 3 weeks of that same 1st team unit not executing! Lol when are you gonna do something like bench some guys and move someone else in to at least light a fire under that *** to “execute” lol

But seriously brown and Richts playbook sucks

Well, if you read further down, it does say that Navaughn and Jahair were demoted to second team and replaced by Mahoney and Boulware.

Anyone want to keep talking about Donaldson being an elite guard?

How about we table that conversation until we have at least average offensive coaching, including oline?

I'm starting to regret some of the things I've thought and/or said about a few guys, most particularly Kaaya. The players just don't stand a chance with this inept coaching. It's like if you told Giada to make you a pound cake but then stood over her shoulder and forced her to make it using only sand, vinegar, dog **** and ground up glass. Best chef in the world can't make you a decent meal out of dogsh!t. We can't expect our players to either.

Just my two cents for where my head is at this point. I'm off dogging the players for now, and that includes even Malik. Kid has no chance in this tic-tac-toe offense, none of them do.

Advertisement
Back