Brooklyndee kudos

Advertisement
How do you explain malik then?
I explained this in another thread, but I’ll give my opinion on it here. It’s Nkosi’s freelance work that holds him back with Richt. I know there are differing opinions on how much latitude a coach should give a QB in this department, so I’m not going to give mine and derail the topic. I know where Richt stands on the issue. I’ve read just all the different QB write up from the spring game and have followed this topic closely since he arrived. Several reports said Kosi was running before receivers even got to their breaks and it wasn’t always because of pressure.

That won’t fly under CMR. You are going to try his way first. If the play breaks down or nobody’s open, fine, but giving up on a play before it has a chance to develop is a no no. He would even prefer you to use your legs to buy time for his play call if need be.

When the game is on the line and Richt sends in the play he thinks gives us the best chance to win, he has to be able to trust that you’re going to give that play every opportunity to be successful before pulling the ball down and trying to play hero.

Regardless of what ever you believe Rosier’s deficiencies to be, Mark Richt right now trusts him the most to run his play call and give it the best chance for success.

I explained this in another thread, but I’ll give my opinion on it here. It’s Nkosi’s freelance work that holds him back with Richt. I know there are differing opinions on how much latitude a coach should give a QB in this department, so I’m not going to give mine and derail the topic. I know where Richt stands on the issue. I’ve read just all the different QB write up from the spring game and have followed this topic closely since he arrived. Several reports said Kosi was running before receivers even got to their breaks and it wasn’t always because of pressure.

That won’t fly under CMR. You are going to try his way first. If the play breaks down or nobody’s open, fine, but giving up on a play before it has a chance to develop is a no no. He would even prefer you to use your legs to buy time for his play call if need be.

When the game is on the line and Richt sends in the play he thinks gives us the best chance to win, he has to be able to trust that you’re going to give that play every opportunity to be successful before pulling the ball down and trying to play hero.

Regardless of what ever you believe Rosier’s deficiencies to be, Mark Richt right now trusts him the most to run his play call and give it the best chance for success.

I agree with you regarding N'Kosi's freelancing and difficulty running the called play holding him back. However, personally I'd amend your last statement a bit. Malik Rosier is not running Richt's full playbook either. A lot of what is holding Perry back is also what limits Malik in Richt's offense, though in different ways. As Roman alluded to in his post, if Read #1 isn't there for Malik, it's basically a wasted playcall. So, IMO, neither QB has shown they're capable of running Mark Richt's full offense to this point. Now, Richt may still go with Malik because of his game experience and because he's the "devil we know." But the offense had to be so incredibly scaled back for Malik that it's hard to say Richt trusts him with it - just that he knows exactly what he's going to get out of Malik at QB, while the youngn's are still learning.

I agree with you regarding N'Kosi's freelancing and difficulty running the called play holding him back. However, personally I'd amend your last statement a bit. Malik Rosier is not running Richt's full playbook either. A lot of what is holding Perry back is also what limits Malik in Richt's offense, though in different ways. As Roman alluded to in his post, if Read #1 isn't there for Malik, it's basically a wasted playcall. So, IMO, neither QB has shown they're capable of running Mark Richt's full offense to this point. Now, Richt may still go with Malik because of his game experience and because he's the "devil we know." But the offense had to be so incredibly scaled back for Malik that it's hard to say Richt trusts him with it - just that he knows exactly what he's going to get out of Malik at QB, while the youngn's are still learning.
I don't think there's anyone on this board whose opinions I respect more than your's and Roman's, with maybe the exception of the staff writer who gave us those beautiful game breakdowns last season--@HurricaneVision, maybe?

But what you're saying here is the exact opposite of what Richt said following the first scrimmage. His words, almost exactly, while explaining what sets Rosier apart from the other guys was that "...if we're going to try to run our entire system, it's clear to me that [Malik] is more than capable of doing that for us."

So I don't doubt for a minute that you've seen things that make you question Rosier's command of the offense, but it is in stark contrast with what CMR has said just a week ago.

Advertisement
Id like to start a petition right now because of this comment for a bullseye emoji... finally someone articulated the obvious. Thats all malik has ever been is the lesser evil(last season)i dont think in good conscience i can agree cmr trusts him at all with his offense. Its gonna be hard keeping either of the youngins off the field this year.

I don't think there's anyone on this board whose opinions I respect more than your's and Roman's, with maybe the exception of the staff writer who gave us those beautiful game breakdowns last season--@HurricaneVision, maybe?

But what you're saying here is the exact opposite of what Richt said following the first scrimmage. His words, almost exactly, while explaining what sets Rosier apart from the other guys was that "...if we're going to try to run our entire system, it's clear to me that [Malik] is more than capable of doing that for us."

So I don't doubt for a minute that you've seen things that make you question Rosier's command of the offense, but it is in stark contrast with what CMR has said just a week ago.

No doubt and I knew you were going to pull that quote as I was typing my response lol. I think what Richt says publicly and what we've seen on the field so far are at odds. Perhaps he was saying that Malik can run the system that Richt installed for him, or perhaps this was coachspeak to rally the troops behind his appointed QB. The only alternative is that Richt's "entire system" consists of a single read followed by abject panic - which is even more depressing to think about. =P

I will say that as of last season, from all we've gathered, Malik was in fact clearly the only QB capable of running any type of offense. Perry had apparently never seen a playbook before and Shirreffs was simply too limited physically. So I don't doubt that Richt was being sincere in his support of Rosier, but I'm not sure he was being entirely truthful, if you get my drift.

Sorry to turn what started as a praise thread for Hightower into another QB discussion, but I'll keep it going because I can't help myself lol (apologies to @Brooklyndee).

One of the things I loved seeing (albeit on limited video after the fact) from Perry and Williams both - both QBs actually CLIMBED the pocket to make a play and either find an open man or scramble. Didn't see too much of the Russell Wilson bail-out or Brad Kaaya/Jacory Harris "drift backwards and heave it." It's been an embarrassingly long time since I've seen the ability to slide forward and sideways in the pocket from a Miami QB. Stephen Morris maybe? It was heartwarming.

No doubt and I knew you were going to pull that quote as I was typing my response lol. I think what Richt says publicly and what we've seen on the field so far are at odds. Perhaps he was saying that Malik can run the system that Richt installed for him, or perhaps this was coachspeak to rally the troops behind his appointed QB. The only alternative is that Richt's "entire system" consists of a single read followed by abject panic - which is even more depressing to think about. =P

I will say that as of last season, from all we've gathered, Malik was in fact clearly the only QB capable of running any type of offense. Perry had apparently never seen a playbook before and Shirreffs was simply too limited physically. So I don't doubt that Richt was being sincere in his support of Rosier, but I'm not sure he was being entirely truthful, if you get my drift.

This doesn't apply to just Richt, but all college football coaches in general. They're part politicians being that they're not going to say everything at face value and be an open book. Richt like most coaches that would be in his position is trying to word things to motivate the youngins to try and pass Rosier. I wouldn't doubt that in Richt's mind right now that if he started the season tomorrow that Malik would be the starter.

Having said that, there's 4 months until Fall camp and Perry and Williams should/will improve. Richt's not going to openly say that either of these two will improve to the point they'll overtake Rosier and will start over him day 1 - Malik would then likely transfer ******** up potential QB depth should one our QBs go down; this was an issue last year where we didn't have a viable back up option behind Malik.

Advertisement

LOL, yeah I get your drift. And while I would never expect CMR to be this guy even if it was the truth...

My beef is more with the folks who would rather ignore entirely what Richt says when it is in conflict with what they'd rather believe. All I can do is take what he says and what you and the other folks are saying and weigh that against what I see. I try to offer my thoughts on where I think we're leaning based on years of watching Richt coach at UGA. I think living in GA and having the UGA game be the default game that's always played in the taverns and at house parties gives me a certain perspective into that. I mean, I'm a CANE and I watch every one of our games, but the UGA game is always the other game I watch, whether I want to or not.

This doesn't apply to just Richt, but all college football coaches in general. They're part politicians being that they're not going to say everything at face value and be an open book. Richt like most coaches that would be in his position is trying to word things to motivate the youngins to try and pass Rosier. I wouldn't doubt that in Richt's mind right now that if he started the season tomorrow that Malik would be the starter.

Having said that, there's 4 months until Fall camp and Perry and Williams should/will improve. Richt's not going to openly say that either of these two will improve to the point they'll overtake Rosier and will start over him day 1 - Malik would then likely transfer ******** up potential QB depth should one our QBs go down; this was an issue last year where we didn't have a viable back up option behind Malik.
Not to get into another back in forth with you--I think it's pretty clear where you stand on this and I'm not going to attempt to move you from your position--but I want to use part of your statement here as an example of what Ghost and I were talking about.

"Richt's not going to openly say that either of these two will improve to the point they'll overtake Rosier and will start over him day 1"

While I agree with your overall point about coach speak, this part is simply not true and we have evidence to show that it's not true. Just last season Richt said the QB competition was wide open and he had 3 guys he was going to try to divide 1st team reps between. He looked Malik dead in the eye and said he'd never start here. This year he's saying Rosier is the guy. Everybody will get an opportunity to show what they can do, but Malik is the starter. And if you want to find evidence to back that up, look no farther than the Spring game and tell me how many reps Malik got with the 2's.

Now perhaps Perry or Williams showed something that might change that going forward. Try not to confuse my opinion with what I think is happening with what I believe will happen--I see potential in all our guys, but as of Saturday, neither of those guys are taking reps from Malik.

That's pretty much where I'm at as well, @Loose Cannon. There's no need to completely destroy Rosier to prop up Perry or Williams. Malik is what he is - a very limited QB who still managed to gut out 10 wins last year while setting TD records, until those limitations caught up with him at the end of the season.

Basically, Malik has reached his proverbial ceiling already, IMO. And if the two young QBs are even CLOSE to where he is after one spring (or a year and a spring for Perry), I think their ceilings are much higher. Now "cellings" and potential don't always translate into starting jobs. Summer and fall will tell the story.

That's pretty much where I'm at as well, @Loose Cannon. There's no need to completely destroy Rosier to prop up Perry or Williams. Malik is what he is - a very limited QB who still managed to gut out 10 wins last year while setting TD records, until those limitations caught up with him at the end of the season.

Basically, Malik has reached his proverbial ceiling already, IMO. And if the two young QBs are even CLOSE to where he is after one spring (or a year and a spring for Perry), I think their ceilings are much higher. Now "cellings" and potential don't always translate into starting jobs. Summer and fall will tell the story.
I'm trying not to fall into the trap of judging Malik's potential solely through the lens with which we would normally view a 5th year Senior. Developmentally, he's not a 5ySr. He's a RsSoph, having just begun last season to take the game seriously. This is sad, and I don't mean this as an excuse. Sometimes reality is sad. But to pretend that Malik is just a normal 5th year guy who's hit a ceiling even though he's been plugging away and just not quite getting it, I don't believe this is accurate. Nobody thought Malik Rosier had 10 wins up his sleeve. Richt never thought he'd play here. I don't believe Rosier ever thought Kaaya would leave early. I thought he had mentally prepared himself to be a backup. He had built a ceiling for himself. But then Kaaya left and something clicked with him. He outplayed all of our expectations. I'm not ready to say that another light bulb won't go off this off season where he just starts to get something he's been missing and use that to improve his game and our chances for success.

Advertisement
Id like to start a petition right now because of this comment for a bullseye emoji... finally someone articulated the obvious. Thats all malik has ever been is the lesser evil(last season)i dont think in good conscience i can agree cmr trusts him at all with his offense. Its gonna be hard keeping either of the youngins off the field this year.
Just because one is faced with a choice between the lesser of two evils does not excuse choosing the greater evil. Even if both choices suck, and I don't believe either one necessarily does, the HC is still paid to evaluate which choice sucks less and be held accountable for that decision.

Just because one is faced with a choice between the lesser of two evils does not excuse choosing the greater evil. Even if both choices suck, and I don't believe either one necessarily does, the HC is still paid to evaluate which choice sucks less and be held accountable for that decision.
Last year that's what he did. Once jack transfered who would you start? Nkosi in so many aspects want close to ready for the job. Evan sherrifs is God awful & honestly shouldn't have been allowed on campus to lead or intramural squad even let alone any part of this team. Our defense was our strength last year. With that in mind & the skill positions that we had who else could lead a seriously dumbed down offense thats geared towards hurting us the least rather than attacking. Thats not the position we're in this year. We have legitimate options now.

Bullseye #2

Advertisement
Last year that's what he did. Once jack transfered who would you start? Nkosi in so many aspects want close to ready for the job. Evan sherrifs is God awful & honestly shouldn't have been allowed on campus to lead or intramural squad even let alone any part of this team. Our defense was our strength last year. With that in mind & the skill positions that we had who else could lead a seriously dumbed down offense thats geared towards hurting us the least rather than attacking. Thats not the position we're in this year. We have legitimate options now.
Agree 100% with everything you said here. But will add that the fact that Kosi was ever behind or neck and neck with God Awful Evan was the first indication that the N'Kosi Perry Hype Train was beginning to look more like the "Little Bowlegged Engine That Could."

little_engine.png

Sorry to turn what started as a praise thread for Hightower into another QB discussion, but I'll keep it going because I can't help myself lol (apologies to @Brooklyndee).

One of the things I loved seeing (albeit on limited video after the fact) from Perry and Williams both - both QBs actually CLIMBED the pocket to make a play and either find an open man or scramble. Didn't see too much of the Russell Wilson bail-out or Brad Kaaya/Jacory Harris "drift backwards and heave it." It's been an embarrassingly long time since I've seen the ability to slide forward and sideways in the pocket from a Miami QB. Stephen Morris maybe? It was heartwarming.
No worries. Nephews all about team. Agree on the attacking the pocket comment. So tired of seeing bad throws because our qbs dont commit to any set routes.

Bullseye #2
Disagree with this assessment for reason's already stated, but I'll expand.

There's coach speak, and then there's coach speak. I pulled that quote because I don't believe it to be coach speak. Coach speak is what he said regarding N'Kosi. "I'll say this, He's starting to get it. He's not where we want to be, but he's competing and getting better." Notice how he never really says what "IT" he's referring to or how close he might be? When he was talking about Jarron, "He doesn't know what he doesn't know." He didn't bother to elaborate for us what Jarron doesn't know he doesn't know. I mean we all assume it's the playbook, but I think Jarron is smart enough to know he doesn't know that. Coach speak.

But when referring to Rosier he was very specific. I noted the three key areas which factor into his assessment that puts Rosier out front instead of giving generic vagueries designed to give a response without really giving a response.

This whole Perry taking off narrative is somewhat true but overstated at the same time especially in this situation. In practice they are employing touch sacks so if you get touched by the dline the play is dead. So Perry is probably trying to extend the play by running. You can do that or be like rosier and let the dline sack you 4 or 5 times like he let happen yesterday ...
I saw Perry evade the #1 dline in the pocket and through a absolute rope of a pass to Dayall Harris that they called incomplete

I posted elsewhere that was the best throw of any QB in the game. The only issue is that had he thrown it a fraction of second earlier it’s probably a completion. Perry didn’t see open WRs and a wiiiiide open Irvin down the seam when he left the pocket. Still, it’s hard to say he made bad decisions. He picked up first downs with his legs on most of those same plays.

Advertisement
Back