Bringing in the hate....

caneworld

Junior
Off season topic.... but what are some of the memorable moments that brought in all the national hate for Canes from around the country....

...one certainly would be Thrill Hill's wild west shoot out in the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl

.... pouring it on in Faust's final game would be another

Advertisement
I am gonna go with Canes showing up in Army fatigues at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl vs Penn State....

There's First Lieutenant Testaverde and Corporal Highsmith....Vinny threw 5 INTs....Canes lost and the fatigue stuff caused a ton of blow back on a national scale...

Too bad. That 1986 Canes team was one of the best college football teams ever....

Last edited:
People love to hate that turnover chain. Call me crazy but I often wondered what type of celebration or antics opposing teams would use to counter the effect of the chain.

Most of them were corny AF but it was amusing to see because it was a reflection of the malice opposing teams have for it.

If we go vintage its def the small/tucked Jerseys showing the ABS. People really hated UM players showing 6 packs back in the day.

IMO, thats where a lot of the "thug" comments came from.

Dreads, gold teeth, shid talk, and wearing the uniform in a swagged out ****y *** way?

Hate to love Us.

Off season topic.... but what are some of the memorable moments that brought in all the national hate for Canes from around the country....

...one certainly would be Thrill Hill's wild west shoot out in the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl

.... pouring it on in Faust's final game would be another

For me, definitely the Cotton Bowl game against Texas, Thrill Hill’s antics, the massive amount of penalties we racked up that game, and the PF’s called when we were knocking the snot out of their QB. Loved ever second of it.

Advertisement
Gunny Jerome Brown leading the Fatigue Brigade vs Penn State.
91 Cotton Bowl

Just two specific instances, but i don't think it can be narrowed down to a specific instance that generated hate.
It was an ongoing behavior of swag and backing it up in an "in your face" fashion...
Pray to have these days again...

Advertisement
I am gonna go with Canes showing up in Army fatigues at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl vs Penn State....

There's First Lieutenant Testaverde and Corporal Highsmith....Vinny threw 5 INTs....Canes lost and the fatigue stuff caused a ton of blow back on a national scale...

Too bad. That 1986 Canes team was one of the best college football teams ever....

View attachment 80337
Still scratching my head over that one. 9/10 times we would have beaten them by a lot.

Fausts last game started the hate.bench clearing fights at South Carolina and San Diego state plus making the good ol boys teams look bad fueled the hatred.cotton game against Texas with the 250 yds worth of penalties cemented the hatred.back in 89 during the nd game cbs had the ibis flying over the Orange bowl looked like Sebastian crapped the leprechaun out his back end helped put fuel on the fire 🔥

1988 Notre Dame vs. Miami football game known as Catholics vs. Convicts, was played on October 15, 1988 at Notre Dame Stadium. Both the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and the Miami Hurricanes came into the game undefeated. Notre Dame won the closely contested game 31–30.

Advertisement
2 Live Crew pay for play, Pell Grant, Najeh pooping in a hamper at Barry U, New Orleans brawl,

We would’ve hung 70 on Texas if not for the 200 yards in penalties. I remind my Longhorn fans of that fact frequently.

Advertisement
For me, definitely the Cotton Bowl game against Texas, Thrill Hill’s antics, the massive amount of penalties we racked up that game, and the PF’s called when we were knocking the snot out of their QB. Loved ever second of it.

Same here.... enjoyed every minute of it, especially since it followed the faux fumble at South Bend..

.. was interning for a manager who was a big Texas fan... he couldn't stand what happened... gave me so much grief

Advertisement
Back