Bringing in the hate....

Advertisement
Army fatigues, Notre Dame blowout, just winning in general, Cotton bowl, probation, san diego state losing without dignity, south carolina brawl, fiu brawl, nevin.

Off season topic.... but what are some of the memorable moments that brought in all the national hate for Canes from around the country....

...one certainly would be Thrill Hill's wild west shoot out in the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl

.... pouring it on in Faust's final game would be another
That shootout was endearing. Everybody loved that, right??

Advertisement
Winning cause the hate. Winning and letting everyone know they were winners.

This is at the core of the issue.

It started with UM's nationally televised drubbing of Notre dame in 1985. It was sort of the moment when the NCAA Overlords realized that UM was getting too uppity and needed to be attacked. The way UM was portrayed in the media in 1986 was the start of the media's decision to frame UM football in a negative light in spite of the on-field success.

For me, definitely the Cotton Bowl game against Texas, Thrill Hill’s antics, the massive amount of penalties we racked up that game, and the PF’s called when we were knocking the snot out of their QB. Loved ever second of it.
The game that made me a Canes fan. I loved how the kid from Texas talked s**t in the paper and the Canes just curb stomped them.

The game that made me a Canes fan. I loved how the kid from Texas talked s**t in the paper and the Canes just curb stomped them.
One of the greatest college football games of all time. Canes celebrated before, during, and after the game.

Straight up bludgeon Texas in their home state.

Advertisement
There's another very very special road victory , not nearly in the class of this cotton bowl beating but it's a classic in it's own right.

Canes vs Michigan on the road losing with minutes left Canes scored (2) TD's and I think Carlos Huerta FG , what was the absolute best at halftime the coach BO was interviewed saying " THIS IS MICHIGAN FOOTBALL AT IT BEST" pointing to recruits all this B-4 a CAT.5 PLUS hit 20 minutes later LMAO.

You guys remember EPIC road WIN ?

Michigan never returned the favor of coming to the OB after that loss.......

GOCANES

The most memorable and infamous for me is what happened after Bryan Pata was killed.

The commentary by the media back then would have had them fired today vis-a-vis social media.

John Sanders no RIP for you. Go **** yourself.
Mark May
Slobber

Amongst others. ANYONE (which includes a substantial portion of the WQAM staff) who think the NCAA and country at large do not have a strong resentful bias towards UM are ignorant beyond words. Pell Grant and Nevin Shapiro are the tip of the iceberg.

Winning too much during the Jimmy Johnson era, and how we were perceived during that time frame.

I was in Las Vegas and the Canes were immensely popular. Part of that was the record against the spread. We covered the first 9 games in 1986. I met an old guy named John and he was suddenly a huge Miami fan. Late season he was telling me that no college team had covered every game since the switch to 11-game seasons. John really thought the Canes would do it. But we got a bit flat and disinterested. We didn't cover either of the final two regular season games as big favorite, then obviously lost the Fiesta Bowl as 7.5 point favorite.

The Canes remained popular in that town throughout. Whenever I wore Canes gear I'd be stopped with positive greetings, and strangers throwing up the U. I barely remember anything negative.

Only when I drove back to Los Angeles for USC games did I sense how much it had changed elsewhere. College buddies who had rooted passionately for Miami against Nebraska in 1983 were now matter of factly telling me, "I hate that team."

This was late '80s and long before that Cotton Bowl, which merely reinforced things.

Winning too much during the Jimmy Johnson era, and how we were perceived during that time frame.

I was in Las Vegas and the Canes were immensely popular. Part of that was the record against the spread. We covered the first 9 games in 1986. I met an old guy named John and he was suddenly a huge Miami fan. Late season he was telling me that no college team had covered every game since the switch to 11-game seasons. John really thought the Canes would do it. But we got a bit flat and disinterested. We didn't cover either of the final two regular season games as big favorite, then obviously lost the Fiesta Bowl as 7.5 point favorite.

The Canes remained popular in that town throughout. Whenever I wore Canes gear I'd be stopped with positive greetings, and strangers throwing up the U. I barely remember anything negative.

Only when I drove back to Los Angeles for USC games did I sense how much it had changed elsewhere. College buddies who had rooted passionately for Miami against Nebraska in 1983 were now matter of factly telling me, "I hate that team."

This was late '80s and long before that Cotton Bowl, which merely reinforced things.
I went to Vegas in 2008 and was greated with alot of praise from random people.

Advertisement
We upset the status quo. We were good and weren't afraid to kick your *** and let you know. It's funny our old attitude is really pretty common now, but back in the day, like Holy said, we were supposed to stay in our lane.

The hate I still get from people never ceases to amaze me, we're still the "cheaters", "thugs", "criminals" etc..

This is at the core of the issue.

It started with UM's nationally televised drubbing of Notre dame in 1985. It was sort of the moment when the NCAA Overlords realized that UM was getting too uppity and needed to be attacked. The way UM was portrayed in the media in 1986 was the start of the media's decision to frame UM football in a negative light in spite of the on-field success.
Exactly... in 83 we were the Cinderella team, then by 85 JJ was "a used car salesman" and Brent M. was talking shiit about running up the score, which was basically NCAA football hypocrisy. After that we just compounded the hate with the swagger and all the haters were taking notes and hoping we would cease to exist. Those were the days that motivated the Canes to be the Canes... regardless of what anybody says.
We need some sort of swagger again... our DNA cannot be ignored... we will never be like ND.

Last edited:
I am gonna go with Canes showing up in Army fatigues at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl vs Penn State....

There's First Lieutenant Testaverde and Corporal Highsmith....Vinny threw 5 INTs....Canes lost and the fatigue stuff caused a ton of blow back on a national scale...

Too bad. That 1986 Canes team was one of the best college football teams ever....

View attachment 80337
I still say the Mob got to Vinny or his family... out gained them 400 some yards to like 126... some of those picks there were no white jerseys in the area.... thats how obvious it looked

Advertisement
After the fatigues, the team walked out of the traditional Fiesta Bowl dinner with Penn State.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/30/sports/fiesta-bowl-words-anger-miami.html

A steak fry on Sunday night, one of the activities leading up to higher education's version of the Super Bowl, was interrupted when a series of satirical skits performed by Penn State players led to the abrupt departure of the Miami team. The confrontation between the teams, which had been moved back from New Year's Day to Friday night, suddenly came sooner than scheduled.

The Penn State skits included a spoof of the Heisman Trophy, which was won by the Miami quarterback, Vinny Testaverde; a reference to the always-in-place hair style of Jimmy Johnson, the Miami coach, and a discussion of Penn State team unity in which John Bruno, a Nittany Lion senior punter, jokingly said that white members of his team allowed black players to eat at the training table once a week.

Soon after the Miami players began to perform, they were stopped by Jerome Brown, a senior all-America defensive tackle, who removed a warmup top to reveal camouflage fatigues. ''Did the Japanese sit down with Pearl Harbor before they bombed them? '' witnesses heard him say Sunday. When his teammates answered no, Brown directed the Hurricanes out.

Catholics vs Convicts
But we've had so many great moments hard to narrow it down, just the we gonna whip ya *** then we gonna finish it in tha parking lot, **** gives me goose bumps!!!😁

Advertisement
Back