Bring me Mark Stoops

They will be if we are top-10. Easily.

In 2002, we averaged 69,532 fans/game. In 2018 (when we had hope following a strong 2017), we averaged 61,649. In 2019, the last year where attendance numbers are “real” (you can’t measure last year cause of social distancing and different rules in different states) we averaged 52,829

Compare that to Kentucky’s average attendance of 55,117 in 2019 and I would say that your premise is completely false.

We can pack it in just like they can. The admin just repeatedly kills the program and attendance wanes. But we average out to a top-25 attendance over the last 5 years if you do the research.

lol have you been to OB games? we were doing kids come in free against Troy. the numbers you're giving are based on tickets sold and not actual fans. we cannot and will never pack it in weekly like big state programs. for big games, we do it better than 90 percent of the country. for your average acc game, id guess actual butts? prolly 45-55 if were good. less if were not (you literally just saw that against uVA).

also the 02 attendance was one of our highest ever and it was coming off a title. we likely will never win a title again in the current landscape.

Advertisement
Remember when ND came here and Gameday said it was the loudest game they had all year. The OB was intimidating cause it was so loud. We can bring it if they give us a reason to, no doubt about that.

Miami only "brings it" for big games.

Those crowds will never show up for a non-night game against a hated rival.

Just like the Orange Bowl days when the Canes were dominant, folks showed up for FSU or ND (or UF until the mid-80s). That was it.

Of course a packed HardRock was loud—it's an NFL and Super Bowl-worthy stadium at full capacity.

Miami was #1 in the nation in 2001 for the Temple game and had something like 31,000 in the stands that day. Top team in the nation after a five-year, probation-fueled drought—fan base didn't think one of six home games that year was good enough.

11,000+ undergrads at a private university in a large, metropolitan city—with four pro sports team, beaches, nightlife and a slew of ways to spend the entertainment dollar.

UK has 23,000+ undergrads and it's in Lexington—where there is f**k-all to do on a Saturday night, outside of going to the hometown college's football game. Same for Friday night, where everyone is watching local high school ball. Football and nothing else in that region. Hardly the case in South Florida.

lol have you been to OB games? we were doing kids come in free against Troy. the numbers you're giving are based on tickets sold and not actual fans. we cannot and will never pack it in weekly like big state programs. for big games, we do it better than 90 percent of the country. for your average acc game, id guess actual butts? prolly 45-55 if were good. less if were not (you literally just saw that against uVA).

also the 02 attendance was one of our highest ever and it was coming off a title. we likely will never win a title again in the current landscape.
I had season tickets from 2000 (when I graduated) - 2018. I got rid of them because I have 4 kids and there are just too many activities now to keep season tix, and the product is obviously terrible. I will resume buying again if the product improves and my kids get a little older.

Over all those years, I have seen us pack the house when we are good without much of a problem. Of course the crowd isn’t the same for NW Insert State as it is for FSU, but neither is it for UK.

If you look at their numbers from 2019, the average is inflated by huge crowds for UGA and South Carolina (Both 63,000+) but they had 3 crowds below 45,000.

You claim our numbers are inflated but how do you know their numbers aren’t? Are we the only ones who have issues with the numbers?

I’m not saying we have the same crowd levels as the huge schools but if we are even reasonably good, like we were in 2017-2018, we can make it close. We get just as loud for the big games as anyone and that is all that matters, in the end. A good crowd is needed in the close games.

In a 60-0 blowout does it really matter if 30,000 or 40,000 watch? Saying Stoops isn’t gonna come cause of the crowds is a ridiculous argument.

Every six years this guy will go above .500 in the SEC and everyone will talk about brinks trucks. He'll be 3-5 again next season, not interested in buying high.

Of course he's better than what we've had here, the guys here can't even land jobs afterward. The bar should be higher, especially when this fan base wont be able to emotionally handle three losses a season (Which is fair, I can't). If no one wants the job but him that's a different story

Every six years this guy will go above .500 in the SEC and everyone will talk about brinks trucks. He'll be 3-5 again next season, not interested in buying high.

Of course he's better than what we've had here, the guys here can't even land jobs afterward. The bar should be higher, especially when this fan base wont be able to emotionally handle three losses a season (Which is fair, I can't). If no one wants the job but him that's a different story
Who is a better, attainable option? That’s the problem. USC and LSU are gonna be coach hunting. That puts us 3rd in the picking order, at absolute best. That’s why there is thread after thread about coaching candidates. Our admin won’t even commit to firing this clown right now. I have little to no faith that we can hire a bigger fish than Stoops or that if we could, we would.

Advertisement

That's because at Kentucky he has to rebuild from scratch every couple of years, he can't simply reload like the top programs. He recuits and develops, growing pains are perfectly fine in a place like that; to me, it's intriguing to think what he could potentially do at Miami.

If you think about it every coaching carousel is about to "buying high" and, btw, "buying low" (and incompetence) is what brought us Manny Diaz.

That's because at Kentucky he has to rebuild from scratch every couple of years, he can't simply reload like the top programs. He recuits and develops, growing pains are perfectly fine in a place like that; to me, it's intriguing to think what he could potentially do at Miami.

If you think about it every coaching carousel is about to "buying high" and, btw, "buying low" (and incompetence) is what brought us Manny Diaz.
Sadly, we didn’t even buy low. We had to pay out the *** for what he is when you consider his Temple buyout 🤦🏼‍♂️

There’s a difference.

Buying high from a sample of mediocrity to average is different than buying high on a coach who is soaring up the ranks and looks like the next star.

I’m leaning more toward a trending G5 guy than I am one of these meh Stoops type dudes. But at least with Stoops we know we get something stable and not a clown like the rest we’ve here

I had season tickets from 2000 (when I graduated) - 2018. I got rid of them because I have 4 kids and there are just too many activities now to keep season tix, and the product is obviously terrible. I will resume buying again if the product improves and my kids get a little older.

Over all those years, I have seen us pack the house when we are good without much of a problem. Of course the crowd isn’t the same for NW Insert State as it is for FSU, but neither is it for UK.

If you look at their numbers from 2019, the average is inflated by huge crowds for UGA and South Carolina (Both 63,000+) but they had 3 crowds below 45,000.

You claim our numbers are inflated but how do you know their numbers aren’t? Are we the only ones who have issues with the numbers?

I’m not saying we have the same crowd levels as the huge schools but if we are even reasonably good, like we were in 2017-2018, we can make it close. We get just as loud for the big games as anyone and that is all that matters, in the end. A good crowd is needed in the close games.

In a 60-0 blowout does it really matter if 30,000 or 40,000 watch? Saying Stoops isn’t gonna come cause of the crowds is a ridiculous argument.

didn't say their numbers aren't, but if you've attended an SEC or big state school game against insert opponent here, they generally pack it more. it doesn't mean anything other than we have a smaller fanbase and we aren't a typical college town where that is the only thing going on. also we don't have as many alumni that travel back weekly.
didn't say stoops wasn't gonna come bc fo the crowds. if anything would deter him, its the lack of financial resources that we haven't provided for most of our coaches and lack of job security (hes got it set up good at UK in terms of security).

Advertisement
There’s a difference.

Buying high from a sample of mediocrity to average is different than buying high on a coach who is soaring up the ranks and looks like the next star.

I’m leaning more toward a trending G5 guy than I am one of these meh Stoops type dudes. But at least with Stoops we know we get something stable and not a clown like the rest we’ve here
I mean this is perfectly fine, others put P5 experience very high in the requirements list but your point is good too.

Given our recent history I’m OK with someone who had at least a couple of successful runs as HC, P5 or G5.

didn't say their numbers aren't, but if you've attended an SEC or big state school game against insert opponent here, they generally pack it more. it doesn't mean anything other than we have a smaller fanbase and we aren't a typical college town where that is the only thing going on. also we don't have as many alumni that travel back weekly.
didn't say stoops wasn't gonna come bc fo the crowds. if anything would deter him, its the lack of financial resources that we haven't provided for most of our coaches and lack of job security (hes got it set up good at UK in terms of security).
Totally agree with all of the above.

Miami needs to 1) dedicate itself to nabbing a lower tier Power 5 head coach. ie. Jimmy Johnson/Dennis Erikson Ok. St Wa. St respectively.

2) dedicate itself to investing in the program MORE than other Coastal opponents. Out spend Va Tech, UNC, Virginia and be more on par with Kentucky in investments.

Advertisement

You are correct all teams have their plus size crowds, and those crowds that don't measure up when the patsies show up :

Advertisement
They have over double the alumni/booster base. In what universe would they not?
Of course they do, but how many of those alum care about and/or donate to football? It’s a basketball school. We are the team with the second most modern-era Nattys behind only Bama. We should not care less about football than a basketball school who is usually bottom half of their conference in football.

Last edited:
Of course they do, but how many of those alum care about and/or donate to football? It’s a basketball school. We are the team with the second most modern-era Nattys behind only Bama. We should not care less about football than a basketball school who is usually bottom half of their conference in football.
Probably a similar amount to the percentage of Miami donors/boosters who care about football.

Advertisement
Back