Brian Vangorder DC

Van Gorder would be a tremendous hire. His defenses usually are aggressive and dictate to the offense. We could do a ton worse. Not sure if he'd leave ND though.

Advertisement
My partner at work is a major ND booster. I brought up BVG and he said please take him. He is not well thought of at ND and people feel Brian Kelly made a mistake hiring him

Advertisement
Vangorder is from South Florida. He was the head coach at American Herritage back in the 80's before coaching in college.

He's a high energy and ****y to a point where he's been flagged a few times himself for excessive celebration and running out on the sideline. The guy is a savage. Great recruiter. You'll love him.

He runs an aggressive 4-3. Lots of linebacker blitzes. Press coverages. Big risk taker.

TOTALLY wrong for Notre Dame - I mean a horrible fit. Everything Notre Dame stands for, this guy isn't.

He's about the closest thing to a perfect fit I can think of for the Canes. I hope we get him.

He's also known as a very good teacher, maybe the best in the business. He's been at Georgia, Auburn, the Atlanta Falcons, and Notre Dame.

Last edited:
Talked to a long time Georgia fan/booster who is in his early 40s and not a hillbilly. Very intelligent guy who thought losing Richt was a mistake.

Anyhow, he told me he thought BVG was a very solid DC and a great recruiter.
So you're saying a DC is actually allowed to recruit?

Advertisement
My list would be the following in no particular order.....

1)Don Brown
2) Jim Leavitt
3) Barry Odom
4) Dave Aradna
5) Gene Chizik

He runs a 4-3. That much we would all be happy with.

Now this:

-ND has two 4-star MLBs riding pine behind a former walk-on
-Safeties routinely blow coverage/assignments
-It is common for their defense to look confused on the field pre-snap
-It is common for players to appear frustrated on the sidelines and argue with each other

any of this sound familiar? Look, I don't think any of us are in a position to nit pick after how godly awful dorito and golden have been. But we do not need another DC that is going to run some complicated scheme that professionals would struggle with, let alone college athletes.

All of this information was given to me by a colleague that is an ND alum and die hard football fan. Let me know if this direct quote from him makes you shiver:

"The one thing that's the most frustrating about him...he doesn't put his players in a position to succeed. He tries to fit all of them to his way rather than adjusting things to their strengths. The defense is just way too complex for college kids to digest, you can see in their faces how frustrated and confused they are."

Advertisement
These guys are just throwing a bunch of names out there and hoping one of them sticks so that they can say "see, I was the first to call it". If we had a nickle for every "watch out for this name" that has been tweeted out since Richt was hired we'd have at least $20.

Advertisement
Back