Brian Kelly went 4-8 in 2016 and this is what happened

“Kelly said Monday — with Swarbrick sitting in the back of the room — that he and the athletic director did not discuss his job following the USC game.

“We didn’t,” Kelly said. “We didn’t discuss my job as much as we discussed a blueprint for what we needed to do to be successful. That was the discussion. It was, ‘Alright, what do we need to do? What are the decisions that need to be made? What are the tough decisions that need to be made to ensure success?’

“We didn’t sit around talking about what we didn’t do,” Kelly continued. “We spent all of our time thinking about what we needed to do to be successful, and that’s when you know you have great leaders. And didn’t waste time on discussions that were not tangible or specific to how do we get better.”

Over the past two months, Kelly hired new offensive (Chip Long) and defensive coordinators (Mike Elko), as well as a new strength and conditioning coach (Matt Balis). Each position is augmented by more assistants, which Kelly proudly saluted Monday.

Kelly said about those three aforementioned jobs in particular that “we didn’t settle” for “anything but the best candidates.” Despite the staff overhaul, which he promised on that rainy night in Los Angeles, he admitted ultimate change starts at the top.

Listen, I know I’m going to be reminded of the past,” Kelly said. “But if I answer this question one last time, which I will, I think that there are, in my mind, as I reflect (on last year), there are no bad football teams. There’s just poorly-led football teams. And I think I led this team poorly. And I think that’s probably what I learned more than anything else.””

4-8 is likely for Miami this year barring an upset. Do you expect Mario and Rad to have a moment like this? Do you expect Mario to have this level of accountability?
Lets make sure we understand that you're comparing Kelly's 7th season at Notre Dame (after winning 10 games in his 6th season 2015), Mario's 1st season at Miami.

Asking if Mario is having these conversations now just doesn't make any sense.

Advertisement
not even close to similar circumstances. brian kelly had already been there 6 full years and then went 4-8

it's best to look at chip kelly at ucla and harbaugh at michigan for the patience they were given and how they have turned their programs around
Did not see this conversation before...but you're exactly right. Comparing Kelly's 7th season to Mario's 1st is ridiculous....some people just love attention, without even making relevant comparisons.

Ok. We get it. You’re disappointed with the coaching. That was evident in the 32,643 other threads exactly like this one.
Im Tired Rebecca Wisocky GIF by CBS

Most notably, he had been there since 2010 and was 10-3 the previous year so although there are similarities with Mario, the 2 situations are quite different.

The basic premise of having a heart to heart with Rad will probably happen and I would imagine Zo would be involved as well. Year end meetings between the AD and any sport HC is probably the norm.

Just because they're different doesn't mean they don't have the same resolution.

Mario needs to scrap everyone similarly - including his boys Mirabal and Feld.

They might be good at their jobs (I really don't know) but he needs fresh minds everywhere on staff with no complacency.

Lets make sure we understand that you're comparing Kelly's 7th season at Notre Dame (after winning 10 games in his 6th season 2015), Mario's 1st season at Miami.

Asking if Mario is having these conversations now just doesn't make any sense.

First, i said after the season, provided 4-8. I dont see what it being Kelly’s 7th season has anything to do with this. If anything, the fact that he won 10 games right before the 4-8 season AND multiple successful seasons before that, including the BCS appearance, one could argue that a discussion for change was unnecessary in this instance as well considering Kelly’s track record.

Advertisement
Just because they're different doesn't mean they don't have the same resolution.

They might be good at their jobs (I really don't know) but he needs fresh minds everywhere on staff with no complacency.

Right,

Its like saying essentially, because it is only year one for Mario, its ok to just chalk this up to first year growing pains. There is no need for accountability and there is no need to make changes just yet. Is that what people are saying? What does Kelly’s tenure have anything to do with this?

Lots of variables. Can’t pigeonhole each situation.

I really don’t see Mario getting rid of his core group - Mirabel, Feld, Big Joe. I do see him making staff changes where needed.

First, i said after the season, provided 4-8. I dont see what it being Kelly’s 7th season has anything to do with this. If anything, the fact that he won 10 games right before the 4-8 season AND multiple successful seasons before that, including the BCS appearance, one could argue that a discussion for change was unnecessary in this instance as well considering Kelly’s track record.

NO
You dont keep changing a coaching staff like underwear. Thank god you're not an athletic director...you would not have your job for very long.

The relevance between the 1st year and 7th year comparison is the exact reason why you dont start swapping coaches.

Number one, Mario came in and built this staff with the intention of change. If you want to see an example of how this works, take a look at Dabo Swinney progression. Especially since Steele was a part of this.

Year 1 ('09 first full year): 9-5, bowl win over Kentucky
Year 2: 6-7, bowl loss to S. FLorida (fans wanted hi *** canned after this season, as well as the AD
Year 3: Hired Chad Morris...10-2, ACC Ship, *** kicked by W. Va. in Orange Bowl. Steele was fired
Year 4: Hired Venebles... 11-2, beat LSU in bowl game
Year 5 & 6: Similar seasons as 4, 10 or 11 wins, same coaching staff
Year 7: Another ACC title, Natty appearance, but Morris left and the Elliot/Scott era begins.
Year 8: Natty

The point is that, Dabo took three years to get his staff where he wanted it, and he also backed off of the whole 'lets give a walk-on an chance' mentality, and started recruiting like a ************.

If you think that Mario needs to replace his coaching after every single disappointing season, you're going to spend a lot of time in disappointment, because things will never change.

I would say the biggest factor in this equation is Rad, who just so happened to join and leave Clemson the same year as Venables. Maybe its just a coincidence, but either way I can assure Rad has a vested interest in the success of the football program. We're spending too much money on Mario to not make the right choices, but I can assure you that swapping coordinators that quickly is not only a bad idea, but its also a bad look if you think you're going to lure top coaches to the program, and Rad knows this.

Advertisement
Brian Kelly is a gigantic douche nozzle who craps the bed in any game of consequence but he is still miles ahead of our meat head when it comes to awareness and Xs and Os.
He didn't crap the bed this Saturday against Bama. And it took balls to go for 2 right away in OT.

OK. Coaching football is a profession. Basic management concepts apply in any business setting. CFB is a business. Are there differences? Absolutely, but managing any business requires certain skills inherent to all situations.
🤣🤣🤣 in the past 15 years, has Miami shown any competence in basic management concepts? You hire the managers first before hiring anyone below. The HC was hired first and the manager was told here, these are your employees. Figure it out. Managers usually hire they’re own people and who they like, friends etc. This was a patch work at best.

He didn't crap the bed this Saturday against Bama. And it took balls to go for 2 right away in OT.
You’re talking about Bama as if they were the team of 3 years ago. Bama isn’t the same anymore. Hence the reason they had to get portal guys.

I wish people would stop saying **** like this. Oh Saban lost to La Monroe, Dabo went 6-7 in 2010, Brian Kelly went 4-8 in 2016. Who gives a flying ****?

Advertisement
Mario needed to have these convos years ago once again we are comparing a great coach to a below avg coach in mario we have to stop doing this kelly is a proving winner lets stop with this nonsense kelly has forgot more about coaching than mario

Advertisement
All you dumb fuqs that say, “well coach XYZ had this record at School ABC” are a waste of air

It has no relevancy to what is going on in Miami in 2022

This roster isn’t where it needs to be and this coaching staff is way underperforming

Change is coming, after spring ball we can assess the outlook from there

NO
You dont keep changing a coaching staff like underwear. Thank god you're not an athletic director...you would not have your job for very long.

The relevance between the 1st year and 7th year comparison is the exact reason why you dont start swapping coaches.

Number one, Mario came in and built this staff with the intention of change. If you want to see an example of how this works, take a look at Dabo Swinney progression. Especially since Steele was a part of this.

Year 1 ('09 first full year): 9-5, bowl win over Kentucky
Year 2: 6-7, bowl loss to S. FLorida (fans wanted hi *** canned after this season, as well as the AD
Year 3: Hired Chad Morris...10-2, ACC Ship, *** kicked by W. Va. in Orange Bowl. Steele was fired
Year 4: Hired Venebles... 11-2, beat LSU in bowl game
Year 5 & 6: Similar seasons as 4, 10 or 11 wins, same coaching staff
Year 7: Another ACC title, Natty appearance, but Morris left and the Elliot/Scott era begins.
Year 8: Natty

The point is that, Dabo took three years to get his staff where he wanted it, and he also backed off of the whole 'lets give a walk-on an chance' mentality, and started recruiting like a ************.

If you think that Mario needs to replace his coaching after every single disappointing season, you're going to spend a lot of time in disappointment, because things will never change.

I would say the biggest factor in this equation is Rad, who just so happened to join and leave Clemson the same year as Venables. Maybe its just a coincidence, but either way I can assure Rad has a vested interest in the success of the football program. We're spending too much money on Mario to not make the right choices, but I can assure you that swapping coordinators that quickly is not only a bad idea, but its also a bad look if you think you're going to lure top coaches to the program, and Rad knows this.

So you didnt agree with swapping Dan Enos for Rhett Lashlee after one year? That appeared to be the correct decision to me.

Advertisement
Back