Brian Kelly went 4-8 in 2016 and this is what happened

Tru C

Senior
“Kelly said Monday — with Swarbrick sitting in the back of the room — that he and the athletic director did not discuss his job following the USC game.

“We didn’t,” Kelly said. “We didn’t discuss my job as much as we discussed a blueprint for what we needed to do to be successful. That was the discussion. It was, ‘Alright, what do we need to do? What are the decisions that need to be made? What are the tough decisions that need to be made to ensure success?’

“We didn’t sit around talking about what we didn’t do,” Kelly continued. “We spent all of our time thinking about what we needed to do to be successful, and that’s when you know you have great leaders. And didn’t waste time on discussions that were not tangible or specific to how do we get better.”

Over the past two months, Kelly hired new offensive (Chip Long) and defensive coordinators (Mike Elko), as well as a new strength and conditioning coach (Matt Balis). Each position is augmented by more assistants, which Kelly proudly saluted Monday.

Kelly said about those three aforementioned jobs in particular that “we didn’t settle” for “anything but the best candidates.” Despite the staff overhaul, which he promised on that rainy night in Los Angeles, he admitted ultimate change starts at the top.

Listen, I know I’m going to be reminded of the past,” Kelly said. “But if I answer this question one last time, which I will, I think that there are, in my mind, as I reflect (on last year), there are no bad football teams. There’s just poorly-led football teams. And I think I led this team poorly. And I think that’s probably what I learned more than anything else.””

4-8 is likely for Miami this year barring an upset. Do you expect Mario and Rad to have a moment like this? Do you expect Mario to have this level of accountability?

Advertisement
“Kelly said Monday — with Swarbrick sitting in the back of the room — that he and the athletic director did not discuss his job following the USC game.

“We didn’t,” Kelly said. “We didn’t discuss my job as much as we discussed a blueprint for what we needed to do to be successful. That was the discussion. It was, ‘Alright, what do we need to do? What are the decisions that need to be made? What are the tough decisions that need to be made to ensure success?’

“We didn’t sit around talking about what we didn’t do,” Kelly continued. “We spent all of our time thinking about what we needed to do to be successful, and that’s when you know you have great leaders. And didn’t waste time on discussions that were not tangible or specific to how do we get better.”

Over the past two months, Kelly hired new offensive (Chip Long) and defensive coordinators (Mike Elko), as well as a new strength and conditioning coach (Matt Balis). Each position is augmented by more assistants, which Kelly proudly saluted Monday.

Kelly said about those three aforementioned jobs in particular that “we didn’t settle” for “anything but the best candidates.” Despite the staff overhaul, which he promised on that rainy night in Los Angeles, he admitted ultimate change starts at the top.

Listen, I know I’m going to be reminded of the past,” Kelly said. “But if I answer this question one last time, which I will, I think that there are, in my mind, as I reflect (on last year), there are no bad football teams. There’s just poorly-led football teams. And I think I led this team poorly. And I think that’s probably what I learned more than anything else.””

4-8 is likely for Miami this year barring an upset. Do you expect Mario and Rad to have a moment like this? Do you expect Mario to have this level of accountability?
No this is Miami. We make convenient hires. We’re also stubborn. You don’t think this was a conversation when Mario was first hired? He’s has everything at his disposal to be successful. It just hasn’t worked out this season.

No this is Miami. We make convenient hires. We’re also stubborn. You don’t think this was a conversation when Mario was first hired? He’s has everything at his disposal to be successful. It just hasn’t worked out this season.

This is about what you do AFTER 4-8. Whatever they decided beforehand clearly did not work and 4-8 is unacceptable no matter what the circumstances are.

Advertisement
It was also a lot easier to trust in Kelly to turn it around for this supposed blueprint: the guy was great at Grand Valley State, Very good at CMU, great at Cincinnati, and the best ND coach since an 80s Holtz.

I get that. But all i want to really know is:

Do yall think he and Rad had or will have this specific conversation and do you expect Mario to lay the blame of a potential 4-8 season at HIS feet and make transparent changes?

I thought Kelly’s response to the season as laid out in this article was beautiful. It was EXACTLY what a GOOD coach would do and say. Me personally this is what i am looking for when this is done. I dont want to hear about bumps in the road, how much of a challenge and work it was expected to be.

Review why you went 4-8, identify solutions and execute the changes and be public, transparent with it.

Advertisement
not even close to similar circumstances. brian kelly had already been there 6 full years and then went 4-8

it's best to look at chip kelly at ucla and harbaugh at michigan for the patience they were given and how they have turned their programs around

Irrelevant to my two questions:

1. Do you expect Mario and Rad to sit down and discuss this UNACCEPTABLE season and the changes needed.

2. Do you expect Mario to express this level of accountability bolded in the article for reference.

Most notably, he had been there since 2010 and was 10-3 the previous year so although there are similarities with Mario, the 2 situations are quite different.

The basic premise of having a heart to heart with Rad will probably happen and I would imagine Zo would be involved as well. Year end meetings between the AD and any sport HC is probably the norm.

Irrelevant to my two questions:

1. Do you expect Mario and Rad to sit down and discuss this UNACCEPTABLE season and the changes needed.

2. Do you expect Mario to express this level of accountability bolded in the article for reference.
I get your questions but they are two differing circumstances so the article is irrelevant

what makes you think mario is not going to hold people accountable? he's already hinting at epic proportion of turnover among the roster the only remaining piece is seeing if he lets gattis go as we're all hoping

The basic premise of having a heart to heart with Rad will probably happen and I would imagine Zo would be involved as well. Year end meetings between the AD and any sport HC is probably the norm.

I agree. Year end meeting have to be the norm. But this was mot a normal or acceptable season by any measure. Do you expect the conversation to reflect that or do you think it will just be a standard meeting. This meeting sounded like the AD needed to know and hear what CHANGES would happen to prevent this from happening again. It was no coincidence that both coordinators and strength coach were replaced.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I get your questions but they are two differing circumstances so the article is irrelevant

what makes you think mario is not going to hold people accountable? he's already hinting at epic proportion of turnover among the roster the only remaining piece is seeing if he lets gattis go as we're all hoping

Kelly said it was about LEADERSHIP. Therefore the most important changes were the coaches. I think that only missing piece is THEEE piece.

I get that. But all i want to really know is:

Do yall think he and Rad had or will have this specific conversation and do you expect Mario to lay the blame of a potential 4-8 season at HIS feet and make transparent changes?

I thought Kelly’s response to the season as laid out in this article was beautiful. It was EXACTLY what a GOOD coach would do and say. Me personally this is what i am looking for when this is done. I dont want to hear about bumps in the road, how much of a challenge and work it was expected to be.

Review why you went 4-8, identify solutions and execute the changes and be public, transparent with it.

Yes. Because Rad is an actual AD worth a **** I believe he will.

Advertisement
Most notably, he had been there since 2010 and was 10-3 the previous year so although there are similarities with Mario, the 2 situations are quite different.

Mario is the boss of football. he was hired before the AD lol. Mario decides when and if changes need to be made not anyone else in Hecht

Mario is the boss of football. he was hired before the AD lol. Mario decides when and if changes need to be made not anyone else in Hecht
And you know this or anything else how? So you’ve been in the Hecht offices, in the locker room, in the IPF, on Greentree and seen it with your own 2 eyes?

Advertisement
Back