CFB Brian Harsin's future in Auburn in question

Harsin was born, raised, played and coached in Idaho. No surprise that the move to Auburn would be a major culture shock. Add in the all-powerful Auburn boosters (who run the place and who did not want him hired) and its a recipe for disaster.

He was Co-OC at Texas for two years so he knows what boosters are like.

Advertisement
He was Co-OC at Texas for two years so he knows what boosters are like.

Eh, not sure how much exposure staff gets to boosters. Harsin was a horrible culture fit and it was compounded by virtually his whole boise staff coming with him.

Eh, not sure how much exposure staff gets to boosters. Harsin was a horrible culture fit and it was compounded by virtually his whole boise staff coming with him.
Should have had some exposure.

Yeah definitely different culture between Boise and SEC school. He brought two on field coaches, one as Analyst that on field now, S & C, his assistant and Chief of Staff. Doesn’t seem like much.

Is it?

Ain’t gotta believe me. I’d just book that flight straight to Rio, São Paulo, Let me know when you going and the first rounds on me.

Bought a house there recently. Plan is to spend 6 months there 6 months states. With all my work online. But not 6 months consecutively. 3 months consecutive there then here.

And I speak Portuguese don’t worry about the language barrier. You see something you like I guaranteed I’ll grab her and have her sitting with you and I’ll translate the conversation if you need it.

Otherwise google translate!
Bought it in Rio or São Paulo? I lived in Rio twice.

Advertisement
Update from On3 Auburn

• If there’s legit evidence that results in Bryan Harsin being dismissed for “cause,” we’ll find out soon enough. That will be that. If it's legit, you'll hear no arguments from fair-minded people, I don't believe.
  • Leaking "racism" as the "cause" to the media is an interesting choice. I heard that on Thursday night, but chose not to report it. I wasn't comfortable reporting it due to the nature of that accusation. The damage being done to Harsin and the program is severe, and maybe that's the point.
  • Also, I'm told there are a few prominent players currently on the team that are actively working against Harsin. They have told Allen Greene and others they don't believe Harsin is the guy. Does that mean they have evidence to back up any of these claims? I don't know that. I'm not going to name them, so don't ask. They are allowed to have their opinion and say.
  • Until then, this looks like power-hungry boosters wanting their way, and using Harsin’s "culture change" to fuel the case against him.
These dudes in Auburn need to get out into the real world. Of course this is a hit job. Nobody would give 2 ***** if he was winning games.

Advertisement
Triangulating all the this and that surrounding this telenovella, it sounds like Harsin struggles relating across socio-economic demos.

Newly arrived leaders who start off strong are able to consistently maintain their methods and standards while also have a touch of flexibility bringing existing team members on-board.

Unless you have full support of your leadership above, break too much glass too quickly and you run a high risk of ****ing everybody off and ultimately losing effectiveness and the momentum towards the change you were brought into the first place.

It appears Harsin is very set on his ways and has run into a brick wall of even harder set culture and mindset.

To be honest, this is a failure of the hiring authority not fully vetting this out prior to Harsin being brought on board.
Hiring authority? In the Auburn situation the AD went rogue and hired Harsin while the BOT had other candidates they wanted. Another Blake James type case.

Hiring authority? In the Auburn situation the AD went rogue and hired Harsin while the BOT had other candidates they wanted. Another Blake James type case.
If I may...

this whole "blah and yada went rogue" narrative is a touch overstated (ok, completely so). Organizations just don't function that way, or at least as some want to believe that teenage angst drama club movies-of-the week portray.

Blake James, Auburn's AD, Fred BagODonuts down the street are not medieval warlords who carve out territory far from the King's castle and are able to hold it because of their own army.

Pure fantasy.

James (all Uni's AD or other executives) operated as Miami's AD in his manner because the President AND BOT allowed it/enabled it either by comission or omission...including the now famous "Columbus Crew" faction. There are no other facts on this, it's really that simple.

NOW, the ADs may act in manners where the President/BOT desire outcome 1, but the AD has selected outcome 2. This happens because the President/BOT have delegated/ceded those decision authorities to the AD (i.e. "we preferred X but we trust our AD to make decisions and he went with Y..."). When all is good, everbody looks like geniuses (even those silently gnashing their teeth because "their" choice wasn't picked).

When all goes bad, "going rogue" really becomes a euphemism for "we [President/BOT] gave the AD (or Coach) all the rope to hang himself with now we are going to yank it".

IF Manuela had gone say 10-2 last season, guess where HC Super Mario would be today--not Miami. If Harsin had done the same, this thread wouldn't have even started. Like with the ill-fated James/Diaz love story, it sounds like Greene/Harsin could (is) going the same way, although Bruce Pearl putting the Tigers in BBall's pole position probably helps to save him [Greene].

Since I'm a tangential kinda cat...why the **** does Miami still have Larranga and not a Pearl-esque Bball HC?? Is that Rahd the Impaler's plan once football gets started on better path?

Advertisement
From Auburn 247 board this afternoon:

Nothing is finalized, but signs point to Bryan Harsin’s time as Auburn’s head coach ending very soon. How it will come down, what it will be called, what the terms will be are not certain. Though it would be foolhardy to say things can’t change on a moment’s notice, the situation has now progressed to a point where it would be a major surprise if he returns.

Auburn is likely to name a current assistant as a short-time interim head coach, but any search for a replacement is expected to be done rapidly. With recruiting in a dead period, an interim’s main job will be to try to hold things together.

The status of athletics director Allen Greene, who has not spoken publicly about any of this, is also uncertain.

Questions started to be raised about Harsin, who moved from Boise State to Auburn in December of 2020, after a five-game losing streak to close the season. They intensified after almost half the coaches he hired left or were fired. They intensified more as a stream of players, some of them starters and most of them likely future starters, entered the transfer portal. They intensified still more when Auburn struggled recruiting and Harsin stayed off the road as rival head coaches criss-crossed the Southeast and beyond.

Other issues surfaced as Auburn’s athletics administration looked into various complaints about Harsin, his dealings with his players, his coaches and more. Harsin’s angry responses did nothing to help his situation.

It all boiled into the public sphere last Thursday. On Friday, Auburn president Jay Gogue said at the quarterly Board of Trustees meeting in Montgomery that an effort was under way to “separate fact from fiction.”

Some departing players took to social media to explain why they chose to leave Auburn. Some current players expressed their support for Harsin. Most players – current ones and departed ones – said nothing.

The Auburn masses have been in turmoil since. It appears there will soon be some clarity, though that clarity might not provide all the information for which some are clamoring.

The entire saga has been complicated by Gogue’s impending retirement. Chris Roberts, dean of the Samuel Ginn College of Engineering, was named at Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting as Gogue’s successor, but he will not officially take over until the end of the semester on May 16.

And then there is the unusual situation in the athletics department. Gen. Ron Burgess, the university’s chief operating officer, was charged with overseeing the department after head coaches in most of Auburn’s varsity sports went to Gogue to complain about Greene.

Those things combine to make what appear to be major changes even messier than usual. Moving forward, what the Auburn athletics department and football program will need most of all is stability.

There is precious little of that today.

So Auburn is officially a ****show - who knows how this goes down..

People are talking a lot about our boosters but they thankfully let Mario have complete control of our football program and just provide the checks.

Advertisement
May have been stated, but wouldn't this be a great time to contact Jeffrey M'ba? If coaches change, can't the recently signed recruit sign elsewhere immediately?

Advertisement
Back