NFL Brian Flores Suing NFL for Discrimination

I'm sorry, but FUG Brian Flores after I was his biggest fan!

I loved him. I thought he was a top dog. And as a black coach.

But he was hired by Bill Billicheck and the Dolphins over other candidates that had a different skin color. He was shown no bias at that point....

He was given the chance....

How many times have we seen a coach be fired because he couldn't get his team of the proverbial hump???? (****, Marvis Lewis lasted 50 years while producing a .500 record!)

And he's complaining that he had a sham interview? I would blame the Rooney Rule. The Broncos, nor the Giants, are out of place for having a head coaching target in mind that is white; it's not wrong. But the Rooney Rule made both of those teams have half-hearted interviews with minority coaches.

Should we get rid of the Rooney Rule? Great intentions, but this fallout of Brian Flores feeling "Shammed" would never have happened if not for the rule.

Hire people based on merit and merit alone. I still think Brian Flores is an amazing coach, but WTF man.

Advertisement
When you have text messages from Bill Belicheat 3 days before your job interview with him mistakenly congratulating you (Brian Flores) for obtaining a job that eventually went to a different Brian (Brian Daboll), and which includes Bill Belicheat apologizing and acknowledging he sent it to the wrong Brian, it becomes much, much easier to establish a timeline of events.

Then consider the proportionality determination that occurs throughout the broad-ranging discovery process in federal court generally, and combine it with the fact that a federal court judge in the SDNY has already been provided (on the face of the Class-Action Complaint) evidence to suggest the interview itself was a sham. This will likely result in SEVERAL NFL executives and coaches having to turn over e-mails, text messages, and telephone records related to Flores's claims and the NYG HC job (and we have already learned from John Gruden how flippantly these guys communicate with one another in writing) during discovery. And should Flores's attorneys find additional evidence to corroborate the allegations in his Complaint during that process (e.g., communications from NYG executives/front office that Daboll would be hired, prior to Flores's interview), it will become a lot easier to prove by the preponderance of the evidence that the NYG participated in a discriminatory hiring based on race.

To state a claim for discrimination in hiring, a HC essentially needs to show he is a member of a protected class (here, race) who applied for and was qualified for a HC position, was rejected, and the position was filled by a non-minority candidate (this can vary depending on state law claims vs. Section 1981 claims vs. Title VII claims, but the nuances in the burden of proof aren't critical for our discussion at this point). To be clear, Flores is not filing a lawsuit "for violation of the Rooney Rule." That would be asinine. Instead, Flores's lawsuit very clearly asserts violations of 42 USC Section 1981, NJ's Law Against Discrimination, NY's Human Rights Law, NYC's Human Rights Law, and states it will later be amended to include a count for violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (because there is a legal requirement that prior bringing a claim for violation of Title VII, a putative plaintiff must first bring a charge of discrimination before the EEOC and receive a determination on that charge, in what is typically called a "right to sue letter"). Flores (and his attorneys) are using the NYG and NFL's apparent disregard of the Rooney Rule (it's own rule, meant to curtail discriminatory hiring practices in the NFL, BTW) as evidence of an intent to discriminate on the basis of race in the hiring of HCs like Flores.

Whether Flores can prove his case or not remains to be seen. But that's the lawsuit, in a nutshell. A violation of two federal statutes, one state statute, and one city ordinance re: discrimination in employment.
I love lawyers.

If the Dolphins allegations are true I can see the league doing to Miami what the NBA did to the Timberwolves…dock them five years worth of draft choices. All picks.

Hopefully this is exactly what the Dolphins need.

Burn this fūcking thing down to the ground, and rebuild.

Step one is getting rid of Ross.
There will be no rebuild after Goodell gets through with Miami. Any rebuild will involve rookie free agents, because Miami will be forfeiting its draft choices for the foreseeable future.

Advertisement
I have some exposure to certain types of people and there is NOTHING you could say to make me think Belichick legitimately made a mistake and texted the wrong Brian.

The Dolphins, who are in the same division as the Pats win 8 of their last 9 games or whatever, are finally turning the corner and are a threat after so many years, and Belichick just leveled their franchise. You think Belichick had "Brian- football coach guy" in his contacts or something? LOL.

Whoops, sorry, wrong Brian! Have a nice day! We're taking Bill Belichick here. Zero chance.

I have some exposure to certain types of people and there is NOTHING you could say to make me think Belichick legitimately made a mistake and texted the wrong Brian.

The Dolphins, who are in the same division as the Pats win 8 of their last 9 games or whatever, are finally turning the corner and are a threat after so many years, and Belichick just leveled their franchise. You think Belichick had "Brian- football coach guy" in his contacts or something? LOL.

Whoops, sorry, wrong Brian! Have a nice day! We're taking Bill Belichick here. Zero chance.
Let's also not forget that Flores worked for Belichick for 10 years. The Dolphins were going nowhere having to replace the head coach. I'd say this was more helping Flores see that he was being screwed than hurting the Fins.

Let's also not forget that Flores worked for Belichick for 10 years. The Dolphins were going nowhere having to replace the head coach. I'd say this was more helping Flores see that he was being screwed than hurting the Fins.

Oh, I think it hurts Miami a LOT more than it helps Flores lol. But I get your (good) point. Win/win.

Last edited:

that’s what makes no sense. If bb is such a ****** person and cut throat coach, why would the bills and/ or giants loop him in to who they were hiring days before it was official? The bills are in their division…

Advertisement
that’s what makes no sense. If bb is such a ****** person and cut throat coach, why would the bills and/ or giants loop him in to who they were hiring days before it was official? The bills are in their division…
Might not have been deliberate. BB is as connected as they come. It could have leaked to him through other admins, agents, etc. Most things get around at high levels before the press sniff it.

I'm sorry, but FUG Brian Flores after I was his biggest fan!

I loved him. I thought he was a top dog. And as a black coach.

But he was hired by Bill Billicheck and the Dolphins over other candidates that had a different skin color. He was shown no bias at that point....

He was given the chance....

How many times have we seen a coach be fired because he couldn't get his team of the proverbial hump???? (****, Marvis Lewis lasted 50 years while producing a .500 record!)

And he's complaining that he had a sham interview? I would blame the Rooney Rule. The Broncos, nor the Giants, are out of place for having a head coaching target in mind that is white; it's not wrong. But the Rooney Rule made both of those teams have half-hearted interviews with minority coaches.

Should we get rid of the Rooney Rule? Great intentions, but this fallout of Brian Flores feeling "Shammed" would never have happened if not for the rule.

Hire people based on merit and merit alone. I still think Brian Flores is an amazing coach, but WTF man.
My opinion at first glance is this is a flimsy lawsuit to risk your career on. The only racial accusation is that the giants broke the Rooney rule and his interview was a sham, that’s not illegal and I don’t see how he proves he was passed over because he was black. I also don’t see how he proves what Ross supposedly said to him or that the Denver interviewers were hungover. Also, he’s still a candidate for two more jobs, and this lawsuit obviously effects his position to land those jobs…if he gets a job, it will only hurt his position in his suit. If he doesn’t, he can say he was passed over again but he gave them a reason to not hire him with this lawsuit. Also see he’s making the media rounds today…why?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Might not have been deliberate. BB is as connected as they come. It could have leaked to him through other admins, agents, etc. Most things get around at high levels before the press sniff it.
Yeah thats actually likely imo , but if it’s info he got through the rumor mill, thats not really credible if You have to prove the giants made a decision days before interviewing Flores. It would have to be traced back to a Ny decision maker to prove A decision was actually made.

After watching the ESPN interview I just come out more confused than anything.

Flores kept on saying I want change, things need to change , I want to change the hearts and minds of the owners like this is some religious intervention or something.

His Lawyers mentioned that Black owners have to be in the league now for things to change.

Just seems like a whole lot of weirdo politics and leftist type of thinking based on the pigment of someone's skin rather than intelligent arguments or discussion based on merits.

Last edited:
After watching the ESPN interview I just come out more confused than anything.

Flores kept on saying I want change, things need to change I want to change the hearts and minds of the owners like this is some religious intervention or something.

His Lawyers mentioned that Black owners have to be in the league now for things to change.

Just seems like a whole lot of weirdo politics and leftist type of thinking based on the pigment of someone's skin rather than intelligent arguments, discussion based on merits.
Yeah he didn’t do himself any favors in those interviews. It was “this is what I felt” and not “here is some evidence”. The broncos just had a black head coach before they interviewed Flores, and the dolphins obviously hired him. Firing him was stupid imo but to prove he was fired because he was black is a monumental hill to climb

Advertisement
The irony isn't lost on me I promise . . . It is funny that white supremacy is so intertwined with the NFL that folks in this thread do not think Brian Flores wasn't discriminated against. The NFL rarely employs black HCs. You think BF deserved to be fired? Id love if he had become our DC!! GTFOH with all the *****. There are some incredibly talented coaches that rarely get a legit shot. White people aren't the only ones that can coach.

If you are white in America, be honest . . . How would you like to be treated like a black person?

My opinion at first glance is this is a flimsy lawsuit to risk your career on. The only racial accusation is that the giants broke the Rooney rule and his interview was a sham, that’s not illegal and I don’t see how he proves he was passed over because he was black. I also don’t see how he proves what Ross supposedly said to him or that the Denver interviewers were hungover. Also, he’s still a candidate for two more jobs, and this lawsuit obviously effects his position to land those jobs…if he gets a job, it will only hurt his position in his suit. If he doesn’t, he can say he was passed over again but he gave them a reason to not hire him with this lawsuit. Also see he’s making the media rounds today…why?
Kap showed there is a heck of a lot more money in playing a martyr than playing football. A lot less work too.

The Empire Strikes Back👇

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross responds to Brian Flores' allegations: 'False, malicious and defamatory'

"I take great personal exception to these malicious attacks, and the truth must be known."

Advertisement
Back