Brian Edwards ability/ceiling

Senior
Wasn't following recruiting too much when he committed, and haven't seen a thread recently enough in detail about his potential. I know he's got fantastic size, looks pretty smooth and is considered highly under rated.

Pete, Lu, DMoney or whoever wants to chime in, tell me about Edwards. Do you see him at Safety or Corner and how soon?

Last edited:

bobbydigius

Senior
He is a hybrid which from my understanding is a big deal in Diaz's system as he likes to change coverages and looks pre snap. It's part of the reason I believe LuCane is so high on Frierson and Jobe. They are versatile enough to play both.

DMoney

D-Moni
Staff member
I think his ceiling his sky-high. I know the coaches love him. He is extremely physically impressive in person.

Legit 6'3, athletic build, very smooth and coordinated. He also has some short-area burst for a tall guy (Top 8 in state in high jump). I see him as a CB. That's his preferred position and he has the ideal length and fluidity. What he lacks in pure speed (4.6ish to my eyes) he makes up for in overall athleticism. Some have him pegged at safety, but I'm not sure he's physical enough.

Big-time talent who is way underrated nationally.

[HUDL]video/3/4720704/58180d6e90f9931ca043fd4e[/HUDL]

bigkk69xd

Recruit
does anybody know when his in home visit with the coaching staff is?? or did it already happen??

rayray

Sophomore
I think his ceiling his sky-high. I know the coaches love him. He is extremely physically impressive in person.

Legit 6'3, athletic build, very smooth and coordinated. He also has some short-area burst for a tall guy (Top 8 in state in high jump). I see him as a CB. That's his preferred position and he has the ideal length and fluidity. What he lacks in pure speed (4.6ish to my eyes) he makes up for in overall athleticism. Some have him pegged at safety, but I'm not sure he's physical enough.

when you're 6' 3" and can jump you can make up ground you may lose because of pure speed... sorta how tony lippett got some INTs with the dolphins this year.

i still think the famed tape of edwards at that UF camp is some of the best film i saw of any of our DB commits this year

Senior

when you're 6' 3" and can jump you can make up ground you may lose because of pure speed... sorta how tony lippett got some INTs with the dolphins this year.

i still think the famed tape of edwards at that UF camp is some of the best film i saw of any of our DB commits this year
You know where I can find that?

Senior

I've heard you say you've been waiting for Miami to bring in that rangy safety that can cover all types of ground. Why isn't that Edwards?

Classic

TAFKA CaneClassic

I've heard you say you've been waiting for Miami to bring in that rangy safety that can cover all types of ground. Why isn't that Edwards?
The story goes that we were recruiting him at safety at first, but he prefers CB and didn't like that. So we told him, "Fine, you athletic freak, whatever you say!" Finally a staff that is a) adaptive instead of rigid and/or b) knows how to play the game. With a staff like this, maybe we get kids like Torrance Gibson.

I prefer him at safety because I question his pure speed and ability to recover. That said, he's an athletic freak and real long (including in crank), so I think he might make for a stud CB, too.

Last edited:

Combo

Sophomore

The story goes that we were recruiting him at safety at first, but he prefers CB and didn't like that. So we told him, "Fine, you athletic freak, whatever you say!" Finally a staff that is a) adaptive instead of rigid and/or b) knows how to play the game. With a staff like this, maybe we get kids like Torrance Gibson.

I prefer him at safety because I question his pure speed and ability to recover. That said, he's an athletic freak and real long (including in crank), so I think he might make for a stud CB, too.
Well it appears Diaz wants him to place both spots.

dg151

Sophomore

Was shocked by his short area movement, does a really good job of transitioning weight quickly. Agreed on safety, think that limits his strengths and exposes his weaknesses, height doesn't move people to safeties, lack of mobility does.

Liberty City El

Dejazmach
I think if we land Dean & Henderson, I don't see how we don't play him some at Safety.

With that said, this kid reminds me of Dre Kirkpatrick at Corner...

Bccrhp

Sophomore

:puzzled:

CaneFan954

Fyre Fest Influencer
Looking at the Hudl tape, Edwards kinda reminds me of Cary Williams when he was at Chaminade-Madonna.

Long, lanky, tall but not uncoordinated. Fluid athlete for his height. Natural confidence you need at the position.

Difference being Edwards looks to have more room to grow into his frame than Cary did.

But that was the first player he reminded me of when I saw his tape.

gogeta4

All-ACC
Beast. I always see him as a cb. Just saw him again in dade vs broward all star game.look fluid as hell as a cb. As a cb h3 has similarities to Antonio Cromartie. Though Cromartie may have had more short area butst..but long arms, wiry types with fluid feet

cowboycane

All-ACC
Corner. A big ass corner that can move....essentially all the positives Redwine brings but way more athletic.

LuCane

Administrator
Staff member

Was shocked by his short area movement, does a really good job of transitioning weight quickly. Agreed on safety, think that limits his strengths and exposes his weaknesses, height doesn't move people to safeties, lack of mobility does.
I have to see him here, but I think he's a very specific type of Corner or a Safety who can do a lot more. If that's the case, I'd try him at both, but be very open to a move to Safety in our current system. Short area is, in fact, above average. Really smooth changing direction. Why do you think Safety exposes his weaknesses?

CanEs4life04

Formerly Cans4life04
Looking at the Hudl tape, Edwards kinda reminds me of Cary Williams when he was at Chaminade-Madonna.

Long, lanky, tall but not uncoordinated. Fluid athlete for his height. Natural confidence you need at the position.

Difference being Edwards looks to have more room to grow into his frame than Cary did.

But that was the first player he reminded me of when I saw his tape.
He's bigger now that Cary Williams was in the NFL.

Coach Macho

aka Beardy Ryan
Boundary CB.
Deep 3rd CB.

Kinda reminds me of McFadden but I think he's more physical and does a better job at finding the ball in the air.