Brevin's Weaknesses

hotshot

Sophomore
Courtesy of Lance Zierlein, these weaknesses are maybe (along with lack of a reliable QB throwing him the ball) why Brevin didn't attain All World status at UM:

Weaknesses
  • Drops head into contact and blocks with erratic technique.
  • Block sustain will require much more work.
  • Gradual route bends between hashes give positioning away.
  • Balance is volatile in pattern work.
  • Tight hips restrict intermediate opportunities.
  • Needs more aggression at the top of the route.
  • Excessive body-catching and bobbles.
  • Not a very reliable option when catch is contested.
Projects as 4th pick (2nd pick in 3rd round) of the WFT

Advertisement
I would be wary as a NFL team just due to the fact he never played double digit games in a season at Miami. 9, 9, 8.

Got hurt as a freshman, got hurt as a sophomore, got hurt as a junior.

I thought he needed to come back, show some toughness, put a good 12-13 game season on tape, and be TE 1 for 2022 draft.

Now I see a 3rd maybe 4th round pick.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He led the country in yards per route run by TEs, and yes, that included Pitts. He was insanely productive when he was on the field. Which is the main issue, as we all know. He missed time every year he was here, and IMO is the #1 reason he chose to leave (which 100% was the correct choice). But right now he has injury concerns. Come back for a 4th year and miss time AGAIN, now you're injury prone and you're scaring a lot of teams.

He has weaknesses, like every prospect does. But IMO if he stays completely healthy for a couple years in the NFL, he will be a Top 10 TE. He's so good with the ball in his hands.

IMO, his biggest flaw is the last one listed there-he did not haul in a lot of contested, 50/50 catches. That's where Pitts excels over him.

NFL TEs live off contested catches. Hard to scheme guys into space in NFL compared to college. Not like Jordan is a polished or dynamic route runner either.

He is what he is - an athletic underneath receiver who can gain yards after the catch. He will have a long career but has capped upside and scheme limitations.

I would be wary as a NFL team just due to the fact he never played double digit games in a season at Miami. 9, 9, 8.

Got hurt as a freshman, got hurt as a sophomore, got hurt as a junior.

I thought he needed to come back, show some toughness, put a good 12-13 game season on tape, and be TE 1 for 2022 draft.

Now I see a 3rd maybe 4th round pick.
I don't see him ever being a first round TE, full season or not. Its a classic overvaluing of our own players. He is not that big and that makes it difficult for him to block at the next level. Coupled with the injuries, he is what he is...a mid round pick.

Advertisement
IMO, his biggest flaw is the last one listed there-he did not haul in a lot of contested, 50/50 catches. That's where Pitts excels over him.
It's really the most important trait for a TE who's primarily a receiver.

Re the rest, you'd have to watch his film closely to know whether that list is generally fair or not. But the NFL definitely picks people apart and those are interesting observations.

Advertisement
NFL TEs live off contested catches. Hard to scheme guys into space in NFL compared to college. Not like Jordan is a polished or dynamic route runner either.

He is what he is - an athletic underneath receiver who can gain yards after the catch. He will have a long career but has capped upside and scheme limitations.
i don't think the first part of this is necessarily true. the best NFL coaching staffs use TE as a scheme weapon nowadays... kelce and kittle being the obvious ones, you could even go back to gronk and aaron hernandez. those are elite talents obv but even a guy like mark andrews isn't making very many contested catches. there are darren waller or mike gesicki types who are winning just purely off size/strength in contested catch situations but those are also guys in offenses where the OC still thinks it's 1999. if brevin goes to a team that expects him to win in that way then yeah it prob won't go very well but if he goes to a team w/ a more progressive minded OC his after the catch ability will be a huge weapon.

Courtesy of Lance Zierlein, these weaknesses are maybe (along with lack of a reliable QB throwing him the ball) why Brevin didn't attain All World status at UM:

Weaknesses
  • Drops head into contact and blocks with erratic technique.
  • Block sustain will require much more work.
  • Gradual route bends between hashes give positioning away.
  • Balance is volatile in pattern work.
  • Tight hips restrict intermediate opportunities.
  • Needs more aggression at the top of the route.
  • Excessive body-catching and bobbles.
  • Not a very reliable option when catch is contested.
Projects as 4th pick (2nd pick in 3rd round) of the WFT
Balance definitely stood out, was surprising to see how much he stumbled or was falling forward. Still a beast, though.

i don't think the first part of this is necessarily true. the best NFL coaching staffs use TE as a scheme weapon nowadays... kelce and kittle being the obvious ones, you could even go back to gronk and aaron hernandez. those are elite talents obv but even a guy like mark andrews isn't making very many contested catches. there are darren waller or mike gesicki types who are winning just purely off size/strength in contested catch situations but those are also guys in offenses where the OC still thinks it's 1999. if brevin goes to a team that expects him to win in that way then yeah it prob won't go very well but if he goes to a team w/ a more progressive minded OC his after the catch ability will be a huge weapon.
Look at the guys you cited though. Brevin doesn't have any remarkable physical tools. He's not exactly tall or long and he's not a big body either that can use his body to shield defenders. Yes, he is very good after the catch but you got to catch it before you can run with it (duh). He's been historically average(?) or below average (?) in making contested catches or in tight spaces. And I don't think that he has the athleticism or speed/quicks to overcompensate for that deficiency. I kinda think a 4th round grade is probably right.

Advertisement
Back