Brennan Carroll

Advertisement
IMO, the single most under-appreciated aspect of evaluating a head coach is his network within the coaching industry. We saw the failures of coker and randy. Neither had the ability to attract talented assistants and if they did, they would leave a year later. From what I know about coach Golden, he is thought highly of within the coaching community.

Bringing in a Brennan Carroll was a GREAT move IMO. He has tribal knowledge of the socal recruiting market and is connected to perhaps the single best coach in the game today. (Is there any coaching today who has the same level of success at both the NCAA and NFL as Pete Carroll??) So to answer the OP's question: YES, great hire from both a tactical and strategic point of view.

Smart post...

He's the "master mind" in this years class

Seems like he's earning his pay... TEs haven't been as bad

Coach Carrol has done a great job with the WR's. Just look at hurns, that kid been coached up good. Don't know why USC fans didn't like him, but then again they have some ******* dumb fans. Been a good coach.

Now we need to steal Ed Orgeron from them and that would be awesome

Yeah coaching at Stanford vs coaching at USC are the same thing.

But coaching at Seattle and San Francisco are? Interesting.

I'm guessing you don't remember how atrocious San Fran was when Harbaugh took over. Seattle was only 4 years removed from a super bowl appearance when Carroll took over. San Fran hadn't even been to the playoffs in 10 years.

Advertisement
Hurns before Carroll - not much. After Carroll - 1000 yard WR. As Pete's son he was probably suspect to USC fans. Al pick him and Jed from Pete. Both look like good gets. Al has great taste in coaches. It is his friends we doubt.

What about Jefro?

Coach Carrol has done a great job with the WR's. Just look at hurns, that kid been coached up good. Don't know why USC fans didn't like him, but then again they have some ****ing dumb fans. Been a good coach.

Now we need to steal Ed Orgeron from them and that would be awesome

Yeah, we need his head-butt technique. We're missing that on defense. For those guys who don't make it to the league, they can use it in pro wrassling.

I didn't even know who this guy was until he came to Miami. The first I heard of him was he is Pete Carroll's son and he's supposed to be some bad *** recruiter who owned the states of Cali and Arizona. I remember people talking that we would get some west coast guys just because of him. Even though that hasn't essentially been the case, I think he has done a very good job recruiting regardless of area. I was just curious to see as to what some of you other porsters think. Agree with me or nah?

The bat signal is a winner!!!

IMO, the single most under-appreciated aspect of evaluating a head coach is his network within the coaching industry. We saw the failures of coker and randy. Neither had the ability to attract talented assistants and if they did, they would leave a year later. From what I know about coach Golden, he is thought highly of within the coaching community.

Bringing in a Brennan Carroll was a GREAT move IMO. He has tribal knowledge of the socal recruiting market and is connected to perhaps the single best coach in the game today. (Is there any coaching today who has the same level of success at both the NCAA and NFL as Pete Carroll??) So to answer the OP's question: YES, great hire from both a tactical and strategic point of view.

this post should have the pete carroll walking with swag on the sidelines...nice post!

Advertisement

this post should have the pete carroll walking with swag on the sidelines...nice post!

295.gif

I'm undecided at this point. His coaching has been better than I expected but I thought he would get us access to some Cali kids that hasn't happened. Even with kayaa I think Coley found and recruited him. He's the recruiting coordinator tho so I'm sure he helps out every where but I'd like to see us cherry pick a little better on the west coast.

I'm undecided at this point. His coaching has been better than I expected but I thought he would get us access to some Cali kids that hasn't happened. Even with kayaa I think Coley found and recruited him. He's the recruiting coordinator tho so I'm sure he helps out every where but I'd like to see us cherry pick a little better on the west coast.

Winning will bring more Cali kids.

Advertisement

I knew this was coming. So if winning will bring Cali kids what does Carroll and his west coast connections bring? If he can only bring Cali kids when we are winning championships then maybe he's not that ace recruiter he was hyped up to be

I knew this was coming. So if winning will bring Cali kids what does Carroll and his west coast connections bring? If he can only bring Cali kids when we are winning championships then maybe he's not that ace recruiter he was hyped up to be

How can we expect to convince Cali kids to leave the west coast with UCLA surging, SC being SC, Stanford, Oregon and Washington all options out there? Same way that Florida kids aren't leaving here for an unstable USC situation. Just being realistic.

I would always be a little skeptical of the son of a famous coach. There is a lot of nepotism at play with getting jobs and opportunities. The one thing Carrol does have is the ability to access his father's network for recruiting/advice/help which will be good for us at the moment, but also means that he will be accessing that network for his next job opportunity outside of the U.

Advertisement

Back when we were suffering through the Coker/Shannon years I referred to this point. I used the word stature. All of our dynasty coaches had it. Butch went to the NFL. Two of his assistants are now NFL head coaches. Coker was lucky. He inherited a lot of Butch's staff. The good ones moved on. Then it was with a few exceptions journeyman mediocre coaches. I am a Golden fan and I think he has the stature to attract the best of breed but my concern is that when it comes to objectively tweaking his staff in considering loyalty on the one hand and making strategic changes on the other loyalty trumps. We clearly have coaches on this staff that need to be replaced but I question whether they will be.

How on Earth could anybody be unhappy with Brennan? Good grief.

Wasn't he largely responsible for landing Sandland? Besides, I can't think of anything he has done that has hurt the team in any way.

How on Earth could anybody be unhappy with Brennan? Good grief.

Agreed.

He also seems to be on a trajectory to being a major college coach. Say what you want about Golden but he obviously sees a lot in Brennan. He is very involved during gamedays, and much more than just a recruiter. Seems destined for a big career IMO.

Advertisement
Back