Breakout player on Defense

To me Mccord is and tracy dont count as breakouts. I think Grace, Carter, Kirby (last year was really his fresh year), AQM, Burns, and Figs all the potential. Deon to me would be a comeback because he was good as a fresh.

Advertisement
Michael Wyche: maybe this is a prayer, but this defense could look a whole lot better with a mountain of a man at NT. Can Wyche be that guy, I hope so, he's got the size and strength, but needs to adjust to the speed of the game quicker than Sandland did last year at TE.

I know we could talk all day about the scheme and how awful it is and why no players will succeed but hopefully we can keep that in the other threads.

Other guys to watch: Figatron: Hopefully the kid will hold up health wise because he's a physical specimen that could bring a lot more physicality to the LB position, especially with the way Armbrister struggled after the Florida game.

A. Burns: if he takes the same jump T. Howard did after the first year Burns could be pushing for post season honors. I realize he got burnt a little at the end of the season but most true Freshman do, and he has the athleticism and size to be an elite talent at CB.

Thoughts?

This whole thread is a fail since the first player you named is never going to set foot on campus.

Michael Wyche: maybe this is a prayer, but this defense could look a whole lot better with a mountain of a man at NT. Can Wyche be that guy, I hope so, he's got the size and strength, but needs to adjust to the speed of the game quicker than Sandland did last year at TE.

I know we could talk all day about the scheme and how awful it is and why no players will succeed but hopefully we can keep that in the other threads.

Other guys to watch: Figatron: Hopefully the kid will hold up health wise because he's a physical specimen that could bring a lot more physicality to the LB position, especially with the way Armbrister struggled after the Florida game.

A. Burns: if he takes the same jump T. Howard did after the first year Burns could be pushing for post season honors. I realize he got burnt a little at the end of the season but most true Freshman do, and he has the athleticism and size to be an elite talent at CB.

Thoughts?

This whole thread is a fail since the first player you named is never going to set foot on campus.

Well we're truly ****ed if he doesn't so that's like you're opinion man.

Easy money

Advertisement
I won't argue with that, and I wouldn't be mad if burns got the spot either. Between burns and Howard we got some play makers on the outside.

Just reading this thread makes you realize how much talent we actually have on defense now. Don't even remember the last time we had talent like this.
Ding ding ding. We have ourselves a winner Johnny! I couldn't agree more. The real point this thread has served to illustrate is that we have quietly managed to assemble some very good to excellent talent all over this defense. The elephant in the middle of the room is obviously at DT/NT but even with the question marks there there is finally some hope and some decent to solid prospects there in Wyche, Moten, Hertelou, and Jenkins. Now if guys like Hamilton, Moore and even King can be at least serviceable, then we might be on to something.

One thing is certain. This year will tell us all we need to know about Golden/Dorito. If those two can't produce a decent to good defense with this talent then they never will.

And just for the record I am having
a hard time deciding on my breakout player on defense. When you have so many viable candidates to choose from it only serves to further underscore the assertion that the talent level on defense has reached critical mass.

Just look at all the different names that have been tossed out in this thread and how completely believable it is for each one to be a "breakout player". Kamalu, Wyche, AQM, McCord, Grace, Figs, Kirby, Carter, Burns, Elder, and Bush. Add to this the production we expect from Howard, Jenkins, Gunter, Dallas, Antonio Crawford, Perryman, and Chickillo. Toss in possible co.contributions from C. Thomas, Owens, Young, Harris, and Moten and we have all the necessary ingredients for a significant improvement to a major resurgence on that side of the ball.

Advertisement
moore and king should have never played as freshman. things are changing now to where a courtel jenkins can now redshirt.
Michael Wyche was personally targeted and a fav of Ed Oregeron so i hope that's a sign of what he can and will do.

After reading through this thread ... We got a lot of fn talent on defense. Better be a good year on that side of the ball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If I had to choose someone right now to defend a pass it would be Gunter. EASILY our most consistent db when healthy. Let make that clear...he's not the flashy rabbit but the consistent turtle.

In terms of breakout player, I'm surprised nobody has gone with figatron. I think a year with the playbook and a more consistent unit in front of him will make a difference.

Have you seen our defense, every rep is critical IMO. Burns has the potential to make himself a high first round pick at CB, I don't think the same can be said for Gunter, who I also think is a good player.
...and every rep is even MORE crucial for a guy who is talented, but still trying to learn the position and the defense both.

If Gunter is playing well and healthy come the Fall, he'll be the #2 corner. I'm not putting it out of the realm of possibility that Burns passes him sometime during the season because he is extremely talented...but I'd lay really good odds that barring injury or a complete breakdown on Gunter's part, that he'll be starting at CB opposite Howard on Labor Day night. Not Burns.

Have you seen our defense, every rep is critical IMO. Burns has the potential to make himself a high first round pick at CB, I don't think the same can be said for Gunter, who I also think is a good player.
...and every rep is even MORE crucial for a guy who is talented, but still trying to learn the position and the defense both.

If Gunter is playing well and healthy come the Fall, he'll be the #2 corner. I'm not putting it out of the realm of possibility that Burns passes him sometime during the season because he is extremely talented...but I'd lay really good odds that barring injury or a complete breakdown on Gunter's part, that he'll be starting at CB opposite Howard on Labor Day night. Not Burns.

My money's on Artie but we are in good shape either way IMO.

OPs original post was correct. We "need". Michael Wyhce to be an impact player! For the scheme that we run he is the most important player. If we get dominant play out of him the whole dynamic of our defense will change! We just need one of our DTs to be dominant.

Advertisement
Back