Breakout player on Defense

Very true.... When was the last time we were this deep with players? Yes, we have lost out on some recruits but we haven't had this much talent in quite some time....
Now if only Golden & No D can put it all together and get some real Wins against the better teams....

Advertisement
a few things, I love that we have 6-10 names we can discuss!!! I'm hoping OP can get back to the play he had the last 5 games two years ago. I thought we would have been in ACC talk last year. very disappointed.

Also, think Carter, Kirby and Kamalu will be in the conversation by year end.

Ladarius Gunter. He puts it together and has an All-American year.....hopefully.

I don't think he's starting over Burns or Howard. Gunter's still a very good CB, I think the other 2 guys are better though.
I disagree. Gunter is our 2nd best corner on the roster right now behind Howard, and he plays steadier than Howard too (though doesn't make as many big plays). Seems folks are sleeping on him just because he sat out Spring w/an injury.

I know everyone wants Burns to blossom and become the tall/physical shutdown CB he's supposed to be, but Gunter's going to play a lot for a few reasons:

1) He's a Senior.
2)He knows the scheme.
3) He's a steady performer.
4) He's a solid tackler.

If Burns weren't moonlighting on the track team, and took all the Spring reps, then I'd be more inclined to believe he'll jump Gunter and be 1-2 with Howard, but since he didn't, I can't get on board w/that.

Gunter didn't play all spring either.
Who needs the reps worse:

1) A guy who's played CB since HS, went to Juco as a CB, and has started at CB for us for 2 years running...and is a returning Senior,

OR

2) A guy who's trying to make the transition from HS athlete/track star to collegiate CB, splitting time as a rising Sophomore between football and track?

You do the math on who missed the most this Spring. Burns may be more talented, but he's less experienced and less polished. He'll get his burn, but he's got work to do in the Fall if he wants to unseat Gunter from a starting CB spot when they're both full-go.

Advertisement
My man Crawford!! Really wish we could have had him at safety his whole career. Kid is a speeding bullet! Gonna be fun to watch our safeties this year!

241.jpg

[video=youtube;TTrn1NdGV_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTrn1NdGV_M[/video]

Advertisement
Corn Elder - I think he'll be our best corner by the end of the year. People don't appreciate just how good of an athlete he is

If that's the case we will have the best secondary in the ACC and possibly the country.

Ladarius Gunter. He puts it together and has an All-American year.....hopefully.

I don't think he's starting over Burns or Howard. Gunter's still a very good CB, I think the other 2 guys are better though.
I disagree. Gunter is our 2nd best corner on the roster right now behind Howard, and he plays steadier than Howard too (though doesn't make as many big plays). Seems folks are sleeping on him just because he sat out Spring w/an injury.

I know everyone wants Burns to blossom and become the tall/physical shutdown CB he's supposed to be, but Gunter's going to play a lot for a few reasons:

1) He's a Senior.
2)He knows the scheme.
3) He's a steady performer.
4) He's a solid tackler.

If Burns weren't moonlighting on the track team, and took all the Spring reps, then I'd be more inclined to believe he'll jump Gunter and be 1-2 with Howard, but since he didn't, I can't get on board w/that.

Gunter didn't play all spring either.
Who needs the reps worse:

1) A guy who's played CB since HS, went to Juco as a CB, and has started at CB for us for 2 years running...and is a returning Senior,

OR

2) A guy who's trying to make the transition from HS athlete/track star to collegiate CB, splitting time as a rising Sophomore between football and track?

You do the math on who missed the most this Spring. Burns may be more talented, but he's less experienced and less polished. He'll get his burn, but he's got work to do in the Fall if he wants to unseat Gunter from a starting CB spot when they're both full-go.

Have you seen our defense, every rep is critical IMO. Burns has the potential to make himself a high first round pick at CB, I don't think the same can be said for Gunter, who I also think is a good player.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ladarius Gunter. He has been the most steady guy we got outside of Perryman. Crazy that between all of us we pointed out almost every person in the secondary, there gunna take a huge step forward as a unit.

Ladarius Gunter. He has been the most steady guy we got outside of Perryman. Crazy that between all of us we pointed out almost every person in the secondary, there gunna take a huge step forward as a unit.

I get he's steady, and has played well. Burns has more upside and if he puts it together this year can be a big time player.

Advertisement
Back