BREAKING: Rosier named starter

View as article
for as much as everyone (included me) wanted n'kosi to win the job, a true freshman QB starting game 1 is just incredibly rare. jacob eason -- a much higher rated QB than n'kosi -- was in a similar situation last year (greyson lambert is way worse than rosier actually) and didn't start. we all know about jameis, deshaun, etc. shea patterson, sam darnold were all eased in. you can go down the list.

and those teams that are led by freshman QBs (ucla/josh rosen, texas/shane buechele, miami/brad kaaya...) experience the sort of growing pains we want to avoid with the kind of defense and skill position talent we have.

do wonder tho if people inside the program will regret not having made recruiting brad to come back more of a priority tho...
I doubt it. I think there was a ceiling with Kaaya. He is way to static and sacks etc kills offense. Rosier can run as well so that's a added benefit. Rosier also has a big arm and can slang it. I think we will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Nobody can deny Rosier did not earn this. He was counted out by most, including the coaching staff if you believe some of the insiders.

Kid's a gamer. Just win baby.

He stepped up to the plate and proved himself capable of leading our team. Put into perspective the player he is now vs. the player he was a year or two ago, and you cannot overstate the amazing job by Richt & Co. to elevate the QB position and get the most out of the players we have.

He'll be able to move the chains with his feet too. No more statues back there. We back.

I just hope he's more like Russell Wilson than RG III. Needs to know when to slide or go out of bounds and not take on much bigger dudes unless of course the game is on the line...

On a side note: I have Perry starting in my Dynasty.

Last edited:
Do we expect him to run at all? All we said last season was that Richt was only showing pieces of playbook in the first few games, when in reality it turned out, we had very offensive playcalling. Will Malik mix it up?

Rick ran read option with Kaaya. So you can rest assured he'll run it with Malik. It'll be up to Malik to make the right read.

I'm happy to see this was a truly open competition.

Congrats to Malik for working hard and winning the job!

Advertisement
Once Allison left, the smart money was on Rosier simply because of experience. But it also sounds like he went out and won the job, and didn't just have it handed to him by default. That's a real good thing. It's sounds like both him and Evan were a lot better in fall camp than they were in the spring. Now let's go out and win some games.

Exactly. At least the narrative coming from everywhere is that Rosier EARNED the job and that this wasn't just a "safe" pick. If you're not down with that process then just say we should annoint kids as starters based on high school tape alone. Here's to the o-line stepping up and allowing Rosier to not make mistakes- which is all we need him to do.

Last edited:
This was earned, not given.

Considering all the reports were that Richt "wanted Perry to win it", the vets really had to go earn this. There was no incumbent, no one was owed anything. If this is the man that rose out from the competition then I'm all for it. He's proven 2 things so far: he wasn't afraid to compete, and that competition made him push himself to be better. Those are things I want in my quarterback. Malik will win us our first ACC ship, and when hes ready will hand the key to Perry.

Advertisement
Gotta love that the competition brought out the best in all three guys. At this time last season, I would have **** a brick if you told me Rosier and Shirreffs were going to be #1 and 2. Now, I'm a lot more comfortable with it knowing that both those guys upped their game when they were pushed. I'm 100% in Malik's corner right now. Let's do this!

Serious question. What would our records be if Perry or Shirreffs were named the starter?

If richt gave perry all the attention to get him better , we go undefeated

No way around it you're an idiot.

He's band. That's 3 accounts now. I'm gonna miss his PM's.

This is a good day. This is a day to parade the dead of our enemies in the streets.

Advertisement
Do we think he's got some Nstate Russle Wilson in him??? like that type of style and gamer..

Once Allison left, the smart money was on Rosier simply because of experience. But it also sounds like he went out and won the job, and didn't just have it handed to him by default. That's a real good thing. It's sounds like both him and Evan were a lot better in fall camp than they were in the spring. Now let's go out and win some games.

Exactly. At least the narrative coming from everywhere is that Rosier EARNED the job and that this wasn't just a "safe" pick. If you're not down with that process then just say we should annoint kids as starters based on high school tape alone. Here's to the o-line stepping up and allowing Rosier to not make mistakes- which is all we need him to do.

Couldn't agree more with the bold. I re-watched the Catholics vs Convicts 30 for 30 over the weekend, and it reminded me that even Steve Walsh looked like a bad college QB with 300 lb goons bearing down on him. O-line play this year can really help Rosier out. But if he makes good decisions on when to run, and then does so effectively, he's gonna make their job a lot easier too. New territory for a Canes QB.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Advertisement
Do we expect him to run at all? All we said last season was that Richt was only showing pieces of playbook in the first few games, when in reality it turned out, we had very offensive playcalling. Will Malik mix it up?

If Rosier ain't picking up at least 2-3 First Downs per game with his legs, Richt's doing something wrong.

I expect 50+ yards a game on the ground for Malik. Some direct runs for him plus a few where the play breaks down.

Advertisement
Back