Brandon Powell: Broward Class 8A-7A-6A POY

CaneCounty

Senior
MIKE STOCKER / SUN SENTINEL

Broward football Class 8A-7A-6A Player of Year: Brandon Powell.
By Steve Gorten, Sun Sentinel
5:33 pm, December 23, 2013
On a muddy field, Brandon Powell rushed for 133 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries to lead Deerfield Beach to its first win against St. Thomas Aquinas in six years and an undefeated regular season.

Whether it was that performance, or racing for the winning touchdown in overtime against Monarch, or playing the second half of a win against South Plantation with "one arm" due to a stinger, Deerfield coach Allen Jackson noted, the senior kept coming up big for the Bucks.

The 5-foot-9, 170-pound running back/defensive back/returner is Broward County's Class 8A-7A-6A Player of the Year for 2013.

"I feel like I helped my team out in a lot of ways this year, playing offense and defense and never coming off the field," Powell said.

Powell racked up 1,339 yards and 20 touchdowns on 141 carries, as well as 21 catches for 289 yards and two touchdowns, 452 yards and one touchdown in punt and kick returns, and three interceptions on defense.

"It was one unbelievable season," said Jackson, whose team lost to Miramar in the Class 8A regional semifinals. "He was like the glue on the team. He was the backbone, the one everyone looked to when something went wrong. They always looked to Brandon to try to bail them out and he did."

Said Flanagan coach Devin Bush: "Brandon was the face of Deerfield. He's a really gifted guy with a high determination and a good skill set. …When they got in close games, they depended on him so much and Brandon Powell willed those guys to win."

Powell, who ended the season verbally committed to University of Miami but was still considering his options before early graduation, said opponents targeted him this year, "but in my mind I wasn't going to let anybody stop me."

While he expects to play running back in college, Powell had his most fun on defense this season.

"I love making a big hit on somebody," he said. "I don't celebrate on offense, but on defense everybody doubts me so every time I make a big hit or play on ball, I always celebrate."

http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#story/fl-big-poy-brow-football-1227-20131223/

Advertisement
Don't care what position he plays here....he's going to be ******* good at it.

Congrats to him. Him and Yearby are going to be a **** of a duo.

774.gif

Idgaf about what anyone says about his size. This kid is the true definition of a player. I guarantee he'll be productive here at cb or rb

Advertisement
He's the definition of the word ATHLETE. Idgaf if he's a wr, cb, rb,kr,pr or whatever I want this kid on my team everyday!

Advertisement
The article and accomplishments sums up why he is an important recruit to keep while everyone is worried about others, powell will make noise in years. proud he is a cane

Easily one of my favorites in the class. Kid could be All-ACC on either side of the ball (RB/Slot and Cornerback), and that is really saying something. Can't wait for him to get on campus and ball out for us.

Advertisement
Dudes on this site and the WEZ have told me that Powell is a jag and won't amount to anything. I swear....

Advertisement
Stud. Kid deserves all of the accolades and more. A playmaker to the core. This kid is a winner and a team player. Leads by example. Can't wait to see him in the orange and green. It's all about the U!!!

Advertisement
Back