Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
Decatur Package Store near Emory always had Elmer T in the back for "special customers." Not sure what they have now though.
That used to be a great honey hole. I haven't been in there in years now. Honestly, my bourbon consumption has gone way, way down as demand has gone up. I just can't be bothered to run around chasing the truck to pay some of these crazy prices for bottles that were collecting dust not too long ago. That and the closest bottle shop to me is HF Bottle and they give a healthy price bump for the honor of being their customer.

I saw one of the local distilleries just sold. I think O4W?

Got some good scores here in the Ville but this is my favorite

15F40926-F712-4761-92C8-4EBB47B785C4.jpeg

Sorry for the blur 🤦🏼‍♂️ but that’s kinda fitting

Advertisement
Advertisement
Drinking McKenna tonight.

I had a pour last night after drinking a Clyde May barrel pick and a Heaven’s Door Cask Strength pick and the McKenna had an interesting taste.

So I over poured this glass tonight to make sure I wasn’t missing something.

I really do have to stop pouring in the dark.
🥃

Last edited:
I’ve been on the bourbon train a couple years now and just realized there’s an OT thread on here for it haha I see a lot of people here like eagle rare but it’s hard to find right now. I would suggest buying early times bottled in bond as a replacement. It’s about $30 and will probably honestly beat it out if I tried them blind.

I like the suggestion of trying makers cask strength to substitute for Weller full proof. I’ve heard of that before. And I believe now I’ll have to grab a bottle at the end of the week.

I’ve been on the bourbon train a couple years now and just realized there’s an OT thread on here for it haha I see a lot of people here like eagle rare but it’s hard to find right now. I would suggest buying early times bottled in bond as a replacement. It’s about $30 and will probably honestly beat it out if I tried them blind.

I like the suggestion of trying makers cask strength to substitute for Weller full proof. I’ve heard of that before. And I believe now I’ll have to grab a bottle at the end of the week.

Also a sneaky good choice for old fashioneds (if you are of school that the bourbon should be at least 100 proof and not a high rye mashbill).

Advertisement
Good to know. The wife likes old fashioned’s and usually uses buffalo trace. But that’s even getting difficult to find now too.

I like them w/ Buffalo Trace as well, but you're right that it's not as easy to get a hold of as it used to be.
Another bourbon in the range of Early Times that's relatively easy to find and good for Old Fashioneds is Wild Turkey 101. A little spicier than the Early Times, though.

image.jpg

Anyone familiar with this one? The Matthew McCoughney bourbon.

It’s decent but I probably wouldn’t have it again. I bet it’d be good in an old fashioned. Has an orange taste to it.

Advertisement
View attachment 231725

It’s decent but I probably wouldn’t have it again. I bet it’d be good in an old fashioned. Has an orange taste to it.
I still like the WT101 - can't beat it for $20. Perfect for making an OF as well.

Oh and Old Forester 1920 > Blanton's. Yeah I said it.

Last edited:
View attachment 231725

I have half a bottle in my bar. It's ok, but like you it's probably not something I'd buy again. It's got a bit of a smoky thing going at the finish if you like that. Proof is a little low for me to try in an old fashioned, but between the taste and smoky characteristics I could see that working.

Advertisement
Back