Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
What bourbon are you sippin tonight? After the letdown today I'm sure we're all pouring heavy tonight. I felt like drinking some Angels Envy. Not one of my go to bourbons, but I'm crushing it tonight.

What bourbon are you sippin tonight? After the letdown today I'm sure we're all pouring heavy tonight. I felt like drinking some Angels Envy. Not one of my go to bourbons, but I'm crushing it tonight.
I’m angry beyond the point of drinking.

Advertisement
1610853415272.jpeg

i did some serious dusty hunting around miami and broward from 2013-2016. was able to get the entire van winkle line (other than the rye) and a bottle of hirsch 16 all at list out in west miami for a total of just under $600. i remember shaking as i made the purchases.

Hirsch 16 = best whiskey i've ever had. (2014 BTAC Stagg is the second best i've had). IMO, the best Van Winkles are the 12 and the 15.

had a bunch of old forester birthday bourbons from various years, a bottle of blanton's from 1993, a bunch of the dimpled bottled-in-bond old forester 101s, lots of parker's heritage, a bottle of evan williams single barrel from 1986 ... the list goes on. and i drank every drop with friends.View attachment 140275

it's a shame to see the cost on some bourbons these days. $600 for a bottle of michter's 10, $500 for van winkle 10-year. it's gross and not worth it. likewise, the demand for aged bourbon means that lots of standard drinkers have had their age age statements removed as the bourbon inside has become younger and younger.

i did get a bottle of schenks and a bottle of bombergers last year. they are both OUTSTANDING. came across a couple bottles of Four Roses Small Batch Select a few weeks ago and yanked those, too.
View attachment 140279

best aged bourbon for the money right now (IMO) is Barrell Bourbon. It's sensibly priced (about $85 for the 10-year) and VERY good. henry mckenna 10-year is also great for a $45 bottle.

and on the other end ... if you ever are in china, and someone offers you Kweichow Moutai, JUST SAY NO. This **** is ******* gasoline and will give you the worst hangover of your life.
View attachment 140280

******* kweichow moutai

What are some of your favorite liquor stores (other than Total Wine)?

I'm not looking for some mythical honey-hole with BTAC and other rare allocated stuff at MSRP.......just want to find some stores that offer a good selection for fair prices. I'm tired of finding nice bottles only to see a price tag that is essentially secondary (3-4x MSRP).

Located in South Miami, but willing to venture up to Broward to find good deals.

Advertisement
Forgot to mention, it would be nice to find a place with store picks. Only store picks I've had so far are from Jensen's, and I find my palate doesn't match whoever is picking their selections.

What are some of your favorite liquor stores (other than Total Wine)?

I'm not looking for some mythical honey-hole with BTAC and other rare allocated stuff at MSRP.......just want to find some stores that offer a good selection for fair prices. I'm tired of finding nice bottles only to see a price tag that is essentially secondary (3-4x MSRP).

Located in South Miami, but willing to venture up to Broward to find good deals.
If you are ever in Tampa, check out Deweys off of Busch Ave. Cheapest prices in all of Tampa...

Fine, if no good local stores, how about online stores that deliver to Florida?

I had good luck with Uptown Spirits, but delivery took like 6 weeks. Anyone try any other site (other than the ripoff sites advertised all over Instagram)?

Advertisement
Got some of the new Wild Turkey Longbranch that is filtered w charcoal from Texas mesquite. Loved it. Thinking of trying a bottle of the Bowman Brothers, any feedback on that one? Cheers🥃

Advertisement
Thinking of trying a bottle of the Bowman Brothers, any feedback on that one? Cheers🥃

The rumor is that the Bowman Bro's single barrel is actually Blanton's juice that is shipped to Virginia, finished in some other barrels by Bowman, and then bottled and sold. Many insiders love it. Unfortunately, ABC has moved the single barrel into the Vault. They are only carrying the small batch on the shelves around here.

The rumor is that the Bowman Bro's single barrel is actually Blanton's juice that is shipped to Virginia, finished in some other barrels by Bowman, and then bottled and sold. Many insiders love it. Unfortunately, ABC has moved the single barrel into the Vault. They are only carrying the small batch on the shelves around here.
that’s really interesting, thanks

It’s shameful that @Dr.L.ThugU , a man of exquisite bourbon palate, is pestered by a bourbon newbie like me for recommendations, and each time he checks in to see how I liked the last bottle, he finds himself lowering the proof level on each subsequent recommendation because I’m a liquor puss. I’m almost back to wine at this point.
LMAO
You handled 4 roses single barrel like a champ and that's 100 proof .

So , what rum should I buy to sip?

Advertisement
Back