Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Japanese pay heavily for much of the product and Sazerac which is Buffalo Trace and has labels like Blantons, Rock Hill Farms, Stagg, Wellers, Pappy, Col. Taylor, etc. has created an allocation type market in the states where they are distributing less at retail making the demand higher and aftermarket prices pretty much insane, since they are getting higher whole sale from the Japanese.

For example, Blantons 5 years ago was $57-$65 retail Rock Hill $49. Now Blantons is still $65 but may find it once every 2-3 months if that, based on where you live.

Rock Hill is next to impossible and $400 aftermarket. Absolute insanity.

One more I will add, they have 1792 which is readily available but 1792 has a sweet wheat which is awesome and nearly impossible to find. So **** frustrating, all of this.
That 1792 Sweet Wheat is right up at the top of my list for things I want to try

Haven’t been drinking bourbon long but has a good mentor and have had the pleasure of trying many good ones but not that one

Got a couple of Blantons for Christmas. That was a nice surprise. Hibiki as well, which at first threw me off, but I grew to really enjoy it.

Advertisement
Finishing this tonight and I better wake up to news that Trob is secondary coach tomorrow

Attachments

• 7660DB2D-FF10-465C-A331-147075632FEF.jpeg
    7660DB2D-FF10-465C-A331-147075632FEF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'm more of a whiskey/scotch connoisseur but I do enjoy a good Bourbon.
I never dare to put any ice on any of my drinks (That's a mistake IMHO) but I will sometimes just add a drop or two of water to get the more on the nose and notes. Anyways, as I sit here sipping my Dalmore 12yr in this beautiful Miami weather let me tell you what bourbon's I have in my mini bar.

Blantons *Original* Single Barrel - Yes, I overpaid for this but was 100% worth it.

Nose: Caramel, Vanilla & with a hint of lemon
Swish: Strong caramel, Vanilla, and light Oakyness.
Going down: Very very smooth...

Stagg Jr. (Batch 12) - Another hard to find Bourbon, and you guys are probably going to say I'm a buffalo trace guy. (Not really, I just enjoy unique Bourbon)

Nose: Oaky, sutble cherry, and very light cinnamon.
Swish: Oaky, light vanilla, spices really warm but enjoyablecreamy.
Going Down: Smooth with a very slight burn but overall it's delicious.

Old Forester 1920 - My gosh I love this one!

Nose: Vanilla, light oak, cherry.
Swish: Butterscotch, caramel, subtle vanilla.
Going Down: Smooth no burn at all! It's Phenomenal

Woodford Reserve Double Oaked - **** goooood!

Nose: Berry, Caramel, Intense strong Oak.
Swish: Slighty bitter oak, creamy, hazelnut (this was a surprise).
Going down: Oaky, Spicy, Slight burn but still smooth.

Hope you guys share some of you're collections maybe I will add a few from the favorites mentioned here.

Good night.

Thoughts on WidowJane?

The 12 year single barrel is pretty good bourbon. I almost missed out on it because the 10 year I had a few years ago was not impressive, but a friend convinced me to buy the 12 year single barrel last year and I very much enjoy it. And it's easy to find (it's sourced by MGP), amd usually at Total Wine for like $90. At that price point there are a bunch of options, though.

Advertisement
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I never dare to put any ice on any of my drinks (That's a mistake IMHO) but I will sometimes just add a drop or two of water to get the more on the nose and notes. Anyways, as I sit here sipping my Dalmore 12yr in this beautiful Miami weather let me tell you what bourbon's I have in my mini bar.

Blantons *Original* Single Barrel - Yes, I overpaid for this but was 100% worth it.

Stagg Jr. (Batch 12) - Another hard to find Bourbon, and you guys are probably going to say I'm a buffalo trace guy. (Not really, I just enjoy unique Bourbon)

Hope you guys share some of you're collections maybe I will add a few from the favorites mentioned here.

Good night.

Glad to see Woodford mentioned. I’m pretty boring. I’ve had a glass of woodford three to four nights per week for the last fifteen years or so. I’ve tried some others. Some I like and some I don’t. But, I just like to settle in with my old, comfortable friend most evenings.

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Good night.
I’m generally not much of a scotch guy but recently had some Tobermory 15. Good ****.

May need a toast to TRob later.... a high proof fire seems right. I’m leaning Craig BP and will report back live from the scene this evening.

Cheers to the hire!

Advertisement
For the Northeast Canes brethren on here, Litchfield Distillery is making some pretty good bourbons these days. Litchfield Port Cask Strength Bourbon and Litchfield Cask Strength were pretty good. Was able to try them over the holidays.

poured an armagnac instead of whiskey tonight. haven’t drank any of that stuff in ages. it was terrific.

Advertisement
Back