Both our rivals had statement wins this weekend

Statement wins? Let's revisit this after Thanksgiving.

If this putrid L$U team ends up with 6 wins again (or less), last night was not much of a statement. That was an ugly football game full of corching and general stupidity. L$U's tackling looked as bad as ours last year. When Daniels wasn't getting in his own way with happy feet and playing with tempo, forfeit state did little to stop them. And forfeit state's offense is basically backyard Jordy extending plays against an undisciplined front 7 and a secondary that looked lost.

Then the big, bad $EC $EC $EC Florida flagship school beats a plucky Utah team at home in a nail biter and college football is supposed to be on notice? FU looked better than expected, but more than anything they just had more speed/athleticism on the field and ran their limited offense efficiently. AR threw for under 200 yards and I don't recall many (if any) completions traveling over 20 yards. They ultimately did what they had to do to get the win against a top 10 team, but the greatest statement made in this game was that pre-season rankings are often BS.

I agree, neither team concerns me right now.

Advertisement
Way to take two games that have nothing to do with us and attempt to make it our problem.

Watch UF lose to Kentucky and FSU to Louisville prior to our game and guys like you disappear into oblivion with zero accountability.

Our fanbase is just *** sometimes.
I feel ya. But Louisville sucks too. So that may not be a loss for FSU.

Utah had two turnovers inside the 5 yard line.

How often does that happen?
I assume turnovers as more basic than two muffed punts and 2 blocked kicks, but I see where youre coming from

I agree, neither team concerns me right now.

Richardson is a tremendous athlete for UF, but he isn't a QB. That offense will be entirely predicated on whether he can take advantage of defensive breakdowns and open lanes to generate big yardage. His passing abilities aren't impressive or eye-popping. Game prep-wise, they looked far more prepared and didn't panic at any point. Props to Napier on that. Defensively, they also didn't look bad. However, Utah really made some boneheaded decisions, and Whittingham probably had his worst night coaching in a very long time. Utah blew multiple opportunities to win this game, but that's the way it goes sometimes. If they beat UK this week, I think they end up 9-3 (losses to Tenn., Georgia, and A&M). If not, it'll be 8-4.

As for FSU, they also looked improved. Travis isn't as bad as I thought he'd be, and his improvement is akin to the jump Malik Rosier made from 2015 --> 2017. Verse is a **** of a player on the DL, and they've got some other solid players there too. However, their offense will live or die with Travis. Last night, he accounted for 74% of the offensive production. Their RBs and WRs are extremely underwhelming, and the OL caught a huge break with LSU's top DL going out with an injury early. Their secondary also couldn't stop a thing once LSU got going. Giving up 2 TDs on back-to-back drives to finish the game is not a good look. Overall, their offense also needed to be extremely gimmicky to get things going. Looking at their schedule, they should be a 6-7 win team. I think they'll beat Louisville but will take an L against Wake Forest. Overall, they'll probably come into our game 4-3, with losses to Wake, NC State, and Clemson. Also, while Louisville looked terrible this weekend, don't sleep on them upsetting FSU. The line is -4.5 FSU right now, and UL will make that their Superbowl.

Yep. And you beat me by 17 minutes saying the same thing.

The game plan to beat either of them is to contain Travis and Richardson. Force them to beat you through the air. With the type of offenses they both run, both of those QBs will get hit a lot. Also, if either of them goes down, they're screwed.

Advertisement
It’s about time Miami fsu and fla. all become relevant again. Mario is on point and will tirelessly and relentlessly out recruit both schools. It will keep the canes on their toes sort of speak. Remember anytime anywhere anyone? Want those days back.

Advertisement
not to stick up for Texas A&M but that weather delay severely changed the outlook of that game, so you're kidding yourself if you think them only scoring 31 is indicative of how good they are

UF vs Utah looked like 2 better than average teams with high emotions playing their first game of the season evenly. Neither line looked dominant, which will show as the season evolves.
LSU lost that game on special team blunders. The player that caught my eye was Verse - he's the real deal, but so is our offensive line. FSU is improved & I'm looking forward to "FU Semenholes" chants at Hard Rock.
No worries here.

Advertisement
The totality of the season will have more of a bearing than one game this early

Yes.

ATM is a game you win if you want the recruit’s necks to snap back to you and your squad. Winning it is a much better signature than either of the games this weekend, but not winning it and it *looks* like we’re behind even if LSU and Utah are pretty average this year.

Big time players step up in big games.

There u go, brother. Perception is a mutha

I remember about a year ago when UM was facing Bama, most realistic fans knew that UMs slim hope of an upset was based on it being the season opener and Bama still needing to figure stuff out. We hoped they might make some uncharacteristic mistakes like muffed punts, miscommunication on the OL, busted coverage etc. In no reality in the multiverse was UM better than Bama, a W would just be getting lucky that they took the game lightly, made more mistakes, and UM capitalized. FSU and LSU are both bad teams. If this game happened week 4, I think LSU wins by at least couple TDs because they will have figured out which players are practice All-Americans but freeze under the bright lights (we have a couple of those on our roster). FSU had a tune up game prior to LSU and still needed a miracle to win.

As for Utah- I'll say it again- Utah, despite being the less athletic team on the road, wins that game handily if not for atrocious coaching decisions and some referee home cooking.

In terms of recruiting, I disagree that those Ws really matter. If Andy Jean watches that UF game, he sees a bad offense that is based entirely on ARs feet. UF's QB didn't even crack 170 yards passing against an unathletic defense. And the WRs had zero TDs combined. So by what logic would a WR look at that game and say, "Thats an offense that makes me a 1st round draft pick." If anything, a top WR would be holding his nose after seeing that UF offense. Whether UF has W or L in the W/L column after game 1 is utterly irrelevant.

Look, credit where it's due- even though the respective opponents of UF and FSU shot themselves in the foot repeatedly, UF and FSU had to be slightly less awful to take advantage of the mistakes and steal a W. Maybe in past years both schools would have missed those opportunities. So that's an improvement. But that's all there is to it at this point in the season. Of course, I'd be laughing if both teams had lost this weekend but it still wouldn't have much bearing on how the games will go midway through the season. They both had opponents that handed them the game, but some people are really trying hard to pump up FSU and UF for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rename this thread the Scared Girls & Bandwagon Tards Thread.

Rivals win games they weren’t supposed to and immediately the weak-minded half-*** fans start with their chicken little lamentations.

Or worse yet, some here are sucking off our rivals. The same sorry cast of characters that seem to thrive on propping up our two neighbors to the north, or anything that is perceived as negative to our program.

In a few weeks, as the season plays out and we actually see who’s who and what’s what, recruits will have placed these games, and ours, in their proper perspective.

But, please, feel free to get weak-kneed and scared.

In reality, these teams are not world beaters, and we have some weak *** recruiting if we can’t help recruits understand the proper perspective and how Miami fits into their plans, long-term.

Carry on, ladies.

Both those other programs did what they needed to do. It's lame to sit here and try to explain why they did, how they did etc. Net net- they did. That's really the only relevant metric to most people. We have every opportunity to win this game against A&M on the road. Boys need to do their jobs and win. That's it.

Statement wins? Let's revisit this after Thanksgiving.

If this putrid L$U team ends up with 6 wins again (or less), last night was not much of a statement. That was an ugly football game full of corching and general stupidity. L$U's tackling looked as bad as ours last year. When Daniels wasn't getting in his own way with happy feet and playing with tempo, forfeit state did little to stop them. And forfeit state's offense is basically backyard Jordy extending plays against an undisciplined front 7 and a secondary that looked lost.

Then the big, bad $EC $EC $EC Florida flagship school beats a plucky Utah team at home in a nail biter and college football is supposed to be on notice? FU looked better than expected, but more than anything they just had more speed/athleticism on the field and ran their limited offense efficiently. AR threw for under 200 yards and I don't recall many (if any) completions traveling over 20 yards. They ultimately did what they had to do to get the win against a top 10 team, but the greatest statement made in this game was that pre-season rankings are often BS.

Anybody that says these are “statement” wins are dead wrong.

Let’s see how both teams and the teams they played end up the season. I’ll happily eat those words.

Beating teams that are not even going to win their conference, and each end up with at least 3-4 losses, probably more, are not statement wins.

Here’s a statement win: ATM beating Alabama last year. UGA demolishing Oregon this past weekend.

L O L @ “statement wins”

Advertisement
Back