Body types and ballers

grover

Senior
Premium
I'm 100% for evaluating a recruit's athleticism and targeting guys that have the prototypical traits. But I love the fact that even while doing that, Mario's staff also embraces guys that just make plays like Restrepo, Bain, and now Lofton.

I still remember that Randy wasn't recruiting Perryman and Golden backed into getting him. Then were the guys that got away like Kancey because we didn't think he could hold up in college lol. And, of course, we recruited Lamar Jackson as a WR.

My point the best evaluators look at both measurables and intangibles. I'm happy to see Mario building a team of Okunlolas and Pattersons, but also recruiting talent in whatever form it comes in.

Advertisement
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Advertisement
It’s been said, think a week ago, Restrepo likely wouldn’t have been a take for this staff. Love X but his lack of speed isn’t what this staff seems to put a premium on.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I can vouch that Mario's staff is being very detailed with who they recruit, particularly going forward. Measureables are very important to them but they're also trying to get the best FOOTBALL PLAYERS. They're definitely not stuck on South Florida and they are casting a huge net.

Advertisement
They are all great… elite players and human beings…

Then they get here and they take all the heat and are trash and cancers when they leave…

Start putting these elite people and body types in positions to win at a high level…

Advertisement
I'm 100% for evaluating a recruit's athleticism and targeting guys that have the prototypical traits. But I love the fact that even while doing that, Mario's staff also embraces guys that just make plays like Restrepo, Bain, and now Lofton.

I still remember that Randy wasn't recruiting Perryman and Golden backed into getting him. Then were the guys that got away like Kancey because we didn't think he could hold up in college lol. And, of course, we recruited Lamar Jackson as a WR.

My point the best evaluators look at both measurables and intangibles. I'm happy to see Mario building a team of Okunlolas and Pattersons, but also recruiting talent in whatever form it comes in.
I think the difference is that by mainly going for the body type or height / weight / speed guys you allow yourself the leeway to pick up the odd productive high school player who doesn't quite fit the physical mould if they're clearly just unbelievable football players (granted I'm not getting high on Lofton until I actually see him play) and not have to worry about busting your recruiting class if they don't translate.

I refuse to discuss previous HCs and their approach to recruiting - I don't currently have enough alcohol in the house.

I think the difference is that by mainly going for the body type or height / weight / speed guys you allow yourself the leeway to pick up the odd productive high school player who doesn't quite fit the physical mould if they're clearly just unbelievable football players (granted I'm not getting high on Lofton until I actually see him play) and not have to worry about busting your recruiting class if they don't translate.

I refuse to discuss previous HCs and their approach to recruiting - I don't currently have enough alcohol in the house.

I'd say you need more alcohol, but considering most of those HCs you may need a bigger house.

Advertisement
Back