Body types and ballers

The expanded recruiting budget is the real MVP. The reason we’ve had to focus so much on local kids is because it didn’t cost a ton of money to recruit them. We didn’t have to fly a bunch of people back and forth across the country over and over when our targets were in driving distance. We also didn’t have NIL to entice players who normally would have ignored us. As much as coaches love to talk about building relationships in recruiting, it’s all meaningless if you aren’t spending the cash.

Advertisement
Bar Milo was a body type but wasn't a baller.

Past classes were filled with these types. Mario knows what body type AND baller in the same player should look like.

The expanded recruiting budget is the real MVP. The reason we’ve had to focus so much on local kids is because it didn’t cost a ton of money to recruit them. We didn’t have to fly a bunch of people back and forth across the country over and over when our targets were in driving distance. We also didn’t have NIL to entice players who normally would have ignored us. As much as coaches love to talk about building relationships in recruiting, it’s all meaningless if you aren’t spending the cash.
Spot on

I would guess these were contingencies when Mario decided to come here in the first place. You can’t go from Oregon to Dollar General budgets and expect to be successful recruiting

The 2023 class we were offering kids after seeing them in person repeatedly. Makes those MariZo evals a lot easier when you have the money to get these guys on campus constantly or travel to see them

Spot on

I would guess these were contingencies when Mario decided to come here in the first place. You can’t go from Oregon to Dollar General budgets and expect to be successful recruiting

The 2023 class we were offering kids after seeing them in person repeatedly. Makes those MariZo evals a lot easier when you have the money to get these guys on campus constantly or travel to see them
Exactly. I was never a Mario Cristobal fan but I understood what his hiring meant for the program. It pretty much meant that we were willing to spend real money because there’s no way he was leaving Oregon to work with Manny Diaz’s budget.

Advertisement
Exactly. I was never a Mario Cristobal fan but I understood what his hiring meant for the program. It pretty much meant that we were willing to spend real money because there’s no way he was leaving Oregon to work with Manny Diaz’s budget.
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

NO!!!

It is ALL recruiting. Money has nothing to do with it.... at Alabama, Oregon and.....now Miami :cool:

*Definitely glad we are playing the portal and NIL game with the funding...it allows Mario to continue to adapt and leverage his recruiting strength..

Last edited:
Advertisement
Live action of Mario running to the portal after he couldn't find Manny's portal pass for 2 years....."I'm comin' Cam!!! Wait!!!!"
I was going to give Manny credit for having the #3 defense in the country last year but then I remembered that every play call has to be approved by James Franklin first

I think I love most about this staff, though they do look for 'measurables', it clearly isn't everything.

I thought players like Booker Pickett would be passed over, due to his size. Previous staffs would usually make a player like Booker a priority, and then make him play in a system that doesn't fit the skills that made you recruit him in the first place.

I love what this staff is doing and how fearless they are. Our latest recruit, from the '25 class, is from a school previous staffs wouldn't have wasted time even recruiting

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back