Blocked Punt

My issue isn’t the numbers , I knew we had 11 but I also knew we were going to get a punt blocker after the first attempt and we never adjusted until it was blocked. Lets not change the focus off another blocked punt and bad coaching.
If 55 makes the slightest effort punt may not have been blocked.

Advertisement
Indeed, tough predicament and not eager to place blame, but 55 effort was **** poor & chance punt isn’t blocked if he hadn’t whiffed.

we saw what rutgers was doing and what they did is something a lot of teams would do

it's routine to overload on one side to block a kick.

we didn't plan for it

i am getting sick of following this program

Our punting formations have been screwy all year, Joyce has been asked to roll into pressure a lot and he has had to speed up his kick. Should have had more blocked this year.
Someone she’s probably already mentioned it, but the whole play design needs to be rethought

Advertisement
Asking somebody to take 2 is risky business especially when they’re loading up on side. It’s a split second decision.
I think the formation was bad from the jump given field location. If you’re not actually going to potentially fake it and make a pass, why even have 3 gunners to one side? But I also disagree with your point. The protector has rules as to who he is supposed to block. It isn’t complicated either - you work inside out. Sure it’s a split second decision, but so is everything in football. And worse is picking to block neither. The outside rusher is left open plenty of times throughout college football.

Also Ido if 55 - or all the rest of the guys - has been on punt all year or not.

Regardless the blocked punt was the single biggest negative play of the game for us. And played the biggest role in this Loss. I still don’t think that means you have a full on field coach for ST. Have a full off field coach for it.

View attachment 275858

4 linemen trying to block 7 dudes on the LOS…

Inexcusable.

Itll take 3 years and 3 top 15 classes to get our staff to recognize this type of ****. According to the Mario apologist. This happened because Jacolby George.
This happened because Jacurri was at QB. This happened because Rutgers had their whole team and we were missing umpteen starters.This happened because of Dawson playcalls(this might have credence🤣)

It's the small **** mane. Its not just the moments that we as a specific fan thinks is the reason or problem for a loss. Its having a coach extend a drive because he got a penalty for being on the field. People on here trying to excuse a season full of unimaginable blunders.

There are guys trying to say that Saban or Kirby would do something so insane. Dabo had his team ready against a 7-5 Kentucky team and coached like his job depended on it.

Idgaf what your relation. Expectations or sentiments are for Mario Cristobal. Call a spade a spade. This is atrocious and embarrassing. It doesnt take 3 years or longer to get this **** right mane.

BTW, the kid who blocked the punt played lacrosse at Brown for 4 years. He decided to use his last year of eligibility to play football at Rutgers... He played lax with my neighbor's son at Brown

Advertisement
View attachment 275858

4 linemen trying to block 7 dudes on the LOS…

Inexcusable.
I’ve never understood why college punt units began using these spread formations putting more straight line pressure up the middle on your personal protectors. Then to only have 2 back there with the punter in the end zone to block the free 3 of the 7 that the 4 OL couldn’t get. Like wtf is that!!

Last edited:
I’ve never understood why college Pune unit began using these spread formations putting more straight line pressure up the middle on your personal protectors. Then to only have 2 back there with the punter in the end zone to block the free 3 of the 7 that the 4 OL couldn’t get. Like wtf is that!!
Several high profile Canes commentators warned us prior to the Cristobal hire.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is on Mario. He may not be a special teams guy, but he has been around football long enough to realize that formation does not make sense and is set up for failure. Our punt team has struggled all year with protection. As head coach, it’s his responsibility to have our special teams coach fix it or fix it himself.

Mario is clueless on the sidelines... half the time, the TV shows him looking Iike a dumb fk, mouth open, id10tic grin on his face

The blocked punt was just the cherry on top of the conservative play calls that led us to 3 and out. The previous drive we marched it down the down field with relative ease and a diverse offense.

Get a lead, play it safe. Limp **** offensive play calling.

what's wild is that one of the 3 gunners to the wide side of the field must have had no one from Rutgers checking him (unless they had no punt returner), and nobody thought it was worthwhile to reposition him where all the Rutgers players were

Advertisement
Back