Blocked Punt

JJ

you sold it like it’s some Schiano voodoo instead of a coaching breakdown that should’ve been picked up live. Our punt team has been an issue all year. We literally almost had one blocked the previous play.
Nah nah, I was just hoping that Mario would be like, "maybe we should be even extra secure with punt blocking since it's been **** all year and Schiano probably knows that."
But that's too much to ask I guess

Advertisement
CIS has turned in to Yahoo/Facebook. 50+ posts *****ing and complaining cause one person posted something without proof. And then everyone crying about how the team is horrible when the actual post was false and inaccurate. Then OP doubles down and looks even more idiotic

Why are people complaining about play in any bowl game besides the playoffs. Most teams are missing numerous starters and in Miami situation playing with a third string QB.

Even tho there was in fact 11 guys technically "on the field" there is no excuse for the amount of blockers miami had right there in the middle of the action to block. No idea why 3 would be out wide. Can we ever get a competent staff. My god

Advertisement
Nah man my fault I came at you with my hair on fire per usual. I’m absolutely baffled why there were 3 guys at the top of the screen.
Don’t think I’ve ever seen 3 gunners on the same side on the punt team. We had one on the other side, so that’s a total of 4 gunners? Is that normal? I don’t think it is, but I guess I need to start paying better attention to our punt team, or whatever we want to call that train wreck of a special teams unit.

CIS has turned in to Yahoo/Facebook. 50+ posts *****ing and complaining cause one person posted something without proof. And then everyone crying about how the team is horrible when the actual post was false and inaccurate. Then OP doubles down and looks even more idiotic

Why are people complaining about play in any bowl game besides the playoffs. Most teams are missing numerous starters and in Miami situation playing with a third string QB.
At least I was man enough to admit I looked like a ******* idiot. Not a lot of people here would do that.

No **** I was proven wrong and got owned. For the 800th time in response to people asking why we are complaining about the bowl game, this just isn't about the bowl game. It's built up frustration over 2 years of 12 total wins and the same **** still happening that took place with previous coaches. All this for 80 million?

All the evidence is there. We almost had a punt blocked on the previous punt. They obviously saw something in film review with the rugby punt and they overloaded that side. It took an almost block then a block to change things up. We were outnumbered and we rolled the rugby punt right into the pressure.
They’ve been doing that rugby punt deep in their own zone all year long. We’ve almost had several punts blocked because of it. Like you said, they 100% saw that on film

Don’t think I’ve ever seen 3 gunners on the same side on the punt team. We had one on the other side, so that’s a total of 4 gunners? Is that normal? I don’t think it is, but I guess I need to start paying better attention to our punt team, or whatever we want to call that train wreck of a special teams unit.
I just assumed 1 guy on each side. Never have I seen 3 guys on one side. And why are there only 4 guys blocking and 2 personal protectors?

Advertisement
Un ******* believable. Imagine you're a big donor and you see **** like this. Of Mario doesn't win next year i think the NIL is going to cery rapidly dry up.

All the evidence is there. We almost had a punt blocked on the previous punt. They obviously saw something in film review with the rugby punt and they overloaded that side. It took an almost block then a block to change things up. We were outnumbered and we rolled the rugby punt right into the pressure.
Special teams coaches have tried to get way too cute the last few years with these “creative” punt schemes that implement wide splits. You are asking for trouble. Just line up in a traditional formation. This shouldn’t be that hard.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I just assumed 1 guy on each side. Never have I seen 3 guys on one side. And why are there only 4 guys blocking and 2 personal protectors?
This is on Mario. He may not be a special teams guy, but he has been around football long enough to realize that formation does not make sense and is set up for failure. Our punt team has struggled all year with protection. As head coach, it’s his responsibility to have our special teams coach fix it or fix it himself.

@Mklein13 & @Manfred_Cane

I had the game taped, b/c I like to rewatch our games w/o emotions to give a bird’s eye view of things.

I left right when we took a 17-14 lead w/ the assumption the superior team finally took control & we would cruise to a W, so to my surprise that I see my PM blow up w/ how horrible a game day coach Mario is & that we lost. I didn’t watch the blocked punt in real time, but on the replay I thought we didn’t have the prerequisite number of players on the field just b/c the line of scrimmage.

I was perplexed and confused that we had a 4 man front & two protectors against a 7 man front w their ears pinned. I literally said, “Rutgers is about to block this punt b/c we’re in a jail break formation vs. max protect.” Voila.

So whether it was 11, 10, 9, or 8 on the field, the fact is the protection was absolutely putrid & a complete mismatch. As @Cribby highlighted, we’ve shown vulnerability on punt protection all year. We’ve had many close calls due to poor protection alignment.

That’s coaching

Advertisement
Back