Blocked Punt

Advertisement
@Mklein13 & @Manfred_Cane

I had the game taped, b/c I like to rewatch our games w/o emotions to give a bird’s eye view of things.

I left right when we took a 17-14 lead w/ the assumption the superior team finally took control & we would cruise to a W, so to my surprise that I see my PM blow up w/ how horrible a game day coach Mario is & that we lost. I didn’t watch the blocked punt in real time, but on the replay I thought we didn’t have the prerequisite number of players on the field just b/c the line of scrimmage.

I was perplexed and confused that we had a 4 man front & two protectors w/ a 7 man front w their ears pinned. I literally said, “Rutgers is about to block this punt b/c we’re in a jail break formation vs. max protect.” Voila.

So whether it was 11, 10, 9, or 8 on the field, the fact is the protection was absolutely putrid & a complete mismatch. As @Cribby highlighted, we’ve shown vulnerability on punt protection all year. We’ve had many close calls due to poor protection alignment.

That’s coaching
What's sad is that none of the following scenarios are unbelievable.

"We had 9 men out there" welp Mario did it again

"our punt was blocked" welp Mario did it again

Lmao at our fanbase arguing over a pic that doesnt show the whole field and really think we had 9 ppl . Miami is doomed for good
I get it. I was also fooled. Two of those gunners were so far out of that frame in that one pic, they are rendered useless.

You are correct, we shouldn’t be arguing over a pic. We should be arguing about how incompetent our coaching staff is.

The guy who blocked the punt pretty much ran unimpeded towards Lichtenstein (who kinda short-armed his poor attempt to block him & whiffed). The Rutgers player essentially ran straight up the field. All Jake had to do was put his hands on him & re-direct him (even a little) and that block never would have happened.

Not a fan of the ST by committee approach. I’d like to see JJ or Frank Beamer levels of attention on special teams.

Also need the players to take ownership of this really important area the way guys like T. Mack did in the past. We used to absolutely suffocate opponents in every phase of the game.

The standard shouldn’t be adequate, it should be great.

Lmao at our fanbase arguing over a pic that doesnt show the whole field and really think we had 9 ppl . Miami is doomed for good
My issue isn’t the numbers , I knew we had 11 but I also knew we were going to get a punt blocker after the first attempt and we never adjusted until it was blocked. Lets not change the focus off another blocked punt and bad coaching.

Advertisement
NFL?.

It happens in pop warner you count the personnel lol

The coaching staff is 100 percent to blame.
How people keep seeing this every week yet don’t want to put The blame where it deserves to be. If it were Manny doing this every week could you imagine the outcry? Announcers have been clowning Miami all year. We’re not a well coached team.

My issue isn’t the numbers , I knew we had 11 but I also knew we were going to get a punt blocker after the first attempt and we never adjusted until it was blocked. Lets not change the focus off another blocked punt and bad coaching.
Thats fair .. i still support mario but he is making it really hard .. gotta win 9 games min next year and I honestly dont see us doing that . We will see alot has to be fixed

Thats fair .. i still support mario but he is making it really hard .. gotta win 9 games min next year and I honestly dont see us doing that . We will see alot has to be fixed
You don’t see Mario able to win 9 games but you support him

💀💀💀

You don’t see Mario able to win 9 games but you support him

💀💀💀
Guess u didnt see when i said he is making it hard . Trying my best to not give up on him after year 2 so if he cant win least 9 games next year and show no improvement with his gameday decisions then he can gtfo . If he cant win with all this money backing him up then i dont think we ever will win again

Advertisement
@Mklein13 & @Manfred_Cane

I had the game taped, b/c I like to rewatch our games w/o emotions to give a bird’s eye view of things.

I left right when we took a 17-14 lead w/ the assumption the superior team finally took control & we would cruise to a W, so to my surprise that I see my PM blow up w/ how horrible a game day coach Mario is & that we lost. I didn’t watch the blocked punt in real time, but on the replay I thought we didn’t have the prerequisite number of players on the field just b/c the line of scrimmage.

I was perplexed and confused that we had a 4 man front & two protectors against a 7 man front w their ears pinned. I literally said, “Rutgers is about to block this punt b/c we’re in a jail break formation vs. max protect.” Voila.

So whether it was 11, 10, 9, or 8 on the field, the fact is the protection was absolutely putrid & a complete mismatch. As @Cribby highlighted, we’ve shown vulnerability on punt protection all year. We’ve had many close calls due to poor protection alignment.

That’s coaching

And where is the in depth self scouting..... We have had multiple punts almost get blocked all through the year. I would bet there was at least one in each game! I would go back and watch each game to point them out, but I'm miserable enough already today.

LineUp and punt the **** ball Stop with this rugby kick

How people keep seeing this every week yet don’t want to put The blame where it deserves to be. If it were Manny doing this every week could you imagine the outcry? Announcers have been clowning Miami all year. We’re not a well coached team.
Manny is by no means an outstanding head coach, but he is infinitely better than the idiot we are stuck with for the next decade.

With our rugby style kicked the formation they tried to use should have never been approved by the hc. I mean my 10 year old son was freaking out before the play asking where everyone was. He’s 10!!! Not making 8 million a year and never played tackle ball.

Our special teams coaching is crap. Especially punt team.

The coaching on this team has been hot garbage for 20 years. It’s failed the kids repeatedly.

Advertisement
IMO this is on the coaches and players. I disagree with "4 to block 7". We actually had 6 to block 7. Doesnt matter if all our guys were on the LOS or at depth. The last man is often left unblocked especially if you spread the line out. But when you do that rugby style punt, the last man probably needs to be block, especially with the punter shaded towards the overload side.
miami vs rutgers full game - Google Search - Google Chrome 12_29_2023 1_35_56 PM.png

Every special teams I've been around, the PP is in charge of making calls at the LOS kin to how the QB or C is in charge of making line adjustments on the offense. When I was a PP, if the return team has split numbers on both sides of the ball, I would call "Even, Even" and we go with the normal formation. If they overloaded one side, I would call "LS name left, Im right" or vice versa depending on which side was overloaded and I would move to the edge of the overload side to pick up the most inside defender that wasnt accounted for. If their was more unaccounted defenders outside of that guy, we would leave him unblocked. A time or two, the return team would line up in a funky formation, or keep shifting around and it would confuse me. Id call a TO cause Id be damned if a punt was blocked cause I made the wrong call. Rather or not our PP have the authority to slide the protection is out of my knowledge, but we probably should have called a TO to discuss and change something up.

Now I dont know how we coach this up but the rule of thumb when it comes to the kicking game is to block down. If #4 takes the the guy inside of him instead trying to get downfield or focusing on the guy to his immediate left who doesnt even rush, that leaves #55 and #58 to block the two on the outside and we have even numbers
miami vs rutgers full game - Google Search - Google Chrome 12_29_2023 1_36_28 PM.png

With all that being said, we would have got this punt off if #55 just simply moves his feet and doesnt completely whiff. #58 also whiffs on his block also. An overload call should mean forget the rugby style kick and just get the kick off as fast as you can.
miami vs rutgers full game - Google Search - Google Chrome 12_29_2023 1_36_54 PM.png

IMO this is on the coaches and players. I disagree with "4 to block 7". We actually had 6 to block 7. Doesnt matter if all our guys were on the LOS or at depth. The last man is often left unblocked especially if you spread the line out. But when you do that rugby style punt, the last man probably needs to be block, especially with the punter shaded towards the overload side.
View attachment 275887

Every special teams I've been around, the PP is in charge of making calls at the LOS kin to how the QB or C is in charge of making line adjustments on the offense. When I was a PP, if the return team has split numbers on both sides of the ball, I would call "Even, Even" and we go with the normal formation. If they overloaded one side, I would call "LS name left, Im right" or vice versa depending on which side was overloaded and I would move to the edge of the overload side to pick up the most inside defender that wasnt accounted for. If their was more unaccounted defenders outside of that guy, we would leave him unblocked. A time or two, the return team would line up in a funky formation, or keep shifting around and it would confuse me. Id call a TO cause Id be damned if a punt was blocked cause I made the wrong call. Rather or not our PP have the authority to slide the protection is out of my knowledge, but we probably should have called a TO to discuss and change something up.

Now I dont know how we coach this up but the rule of thumb when it comes to the kicking game is to block down. If #4 takes the the guy inside of him instead trying to get downfield or focusing on the guy to his immediate left who doesnt even rush, that leaves #55 and #58 to block the two on the outside and we have even numbers
View attachment 275888

With all that being said, we would have got this punt off if #55 just simply moves his feet and doesnt completely whiff. #58 also whiffs on his block also. An overload call should mean forget the rugby style kick and just get the kick off as fast as you can.
View attachment 275889
That's 4 on 3 on the side of the line the punter rolls to. Someone was getting through.

Advertisement
That's 4 on 3 on the side of the line the punter rolls to. Someone was getting through.
The guy to #4 immediate left didnt rush. Even if that guy did rush and #4 blocks down, and the PPs takes the 2 most inside of the remaining 3 and DOESNT WHIFF, the guy on the edge wouldnt have blocked it due to the fact that he had the longest route to take to get to the spot

If the on field coaching was average we win 9-10 games in the regular season. That's a big f***ing problem that coaching is costing us games. Kids will give up and that'll be the end of it.

You're right; I didn't see that. However, 4 was headed downfield on return coverage, leaving 3 on 2.
Exactly. IDK if he isnt coached to block down, coached to take off to cover the punt, or just being selfish and trying to get downfield to be the one to make the tackle. I really want to believe he was being selfish because he hasnt played alot and is pressing to make a play

If you look at the screenshots, #33 blocks the guy head up over him. For some odd reason, #4 doesnt touch the guy head up over him

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back