Blake James responds

CanesNation55

Thunderdome
University of Miami Athletic Director Blake James reiterated Sunday afternoon that coach Al Golden's job is secure entering next season despite four consecutive season-ending losses.

But, at the same time, James didn't rule out a shakeup with the assistant coaches.

"Al and I talked after the game last night, we'll meet this week and I'll get a better understanding of where he sees everything at," James said. "We'll have an open conversation about where we're going and how we best get there."

Would James be okay if Golden said there are no coaching changes needed?

"Those are things I'll talk with Al about," James said. "He needs to decide what's best for us. It's something I'm not going to get into `we need to recruit a different kid, make coaching changes.' Al is the coach of the program, it's his responsibility to assess the program understanding the expectations. I don't think anyone looks at our program and says 6-7 is going to be acceptable for our program. And that's not Al. He came here wanting to win the ACC and that's where we need to go. I'm confident he'll continue to make the changes that are needed to get us to that point."

James says he reads all the emails and messages from fans upset with the current state of the program.

"I understand the frustration of the fan base," he said. "The thing I would say to everyone is no one is more frustrated than everyone here. It's frustrating when you don't have the type of success you want as a program. With that said everyone has different perspectives on what needs to be done. My job is to work with Al and figure out what is the best plan for us to get to where we meet all those expectations. The bar is set very high here."

James acknowledged "we're not achieving at the point" the football program needs. So how long before the program can be "back"?

"It's coming," James said. "You see it this year with the great impact we had with some of the freshmen, and having a great quarterback is huge. Having someone of Brad (Kaaya's) skill and to see him to continue to progress - I spoke with Brock Berlin (at the bowl game), got his thoughts which was very valuable to me.

"I don't want to put a time on it, `this date', but we have to continue to move forward. I think there was a lot of progress made this year, unfortunately it wasn't in the win and loss column. At the end of the day it's about wins and losses, and I understand that, and I understand why fans are frustrated."

Per tos

Last edited:
Advertisement
Our only hope is everyone associated with Miami athletics just simultaneously drops dead.

Advertisement
You can see James is not a real ad. If so he wouldn't let golden dictate where the program need changes. 6-7 with all the NFL talent means new coaches from top down not to let the one who doesn't make changes because of his ego make the decisions. Blake that is the job of the athletic director

Advertisement
Well, he talked to Brock. That's "valuable"?....wtf, this guy runs our sports programs? Loser puppet. He needs to go too.

Failure. As an AD who sees the sinking ship and a program in decline, you have at this very moment just cause to fire a coach (6-7 record in year four, 4 straight losses to ****bag teams), support from fans and former players, and a coach who WANTS to be here (Butch). If you choose to look the other way, you are failing at your job.

I hate that spineless piece of shlt more than Alf. "We've made a lot of progress this year" mother fucca

Advertisement
I fully understand his hands might be tied and he has no power.

If that's the case...simply say "no comment" or just refuse to talk about the subject.

To pass off that recycled used car salesman pitch is insulting to Cane fans that actually care. Some might say "he has to say something"....well I disagree or at least a very solid "no comment" would speak volumes to the portion of the fan base with some semblance of intelligence.

Advertisement
I fully understand his hands might be tied and he has no power.

If that's the case...simply say "no comment" or just refuse to talk about the subject.

To pass off that recycled used car salesman pitch is insulting to Cane fans that actually care. Some might say "he has to say something"....well I disagree or at least a very solid "no comment" would speak volumes to the portion of the fan base with some semblance of intelligence.

Or fight back. He sounds like an anusburger who doesn't care about his future employment.

Progress? what ******* progress? I see everyone at Miami is operating under opposite day rules. Lets go 0-11 next year and really break some records

The worst part about all this is with us going 6-7 this year all they'll be saying next year if we end up going 9-4 or better is how much they improved. And if Blake James isnt willing to fire anyone after this I can only imagine how he'll respong with 3 more wins. We should have been a 10 win team this year, 9 wins in a words case scenario ( I didnt think Golden could possibly get under 8 wins with this roster).

Sorry, but I don't believe he truly feels this way about Golden.

I'd be willing to bet (if it could be proven) that the BOT and/or Shalala told James that Golden being let go was not on the table this year. I don't think James believes a **** word that he's having to say to the media. He's making several hundred thousand dollars a year. I can't sit here and blame the guy for not providing enough resistance to put his own job in danger.

Advertisement
Back