Blake James and scueduling

The Worst,now that's a stretch.Let's start with two far worse,the two that bailed on the U and went to Texas Tech and
Nebraska.Then throw in a number fired for sexual proclivities;i.e. example Minn.AD.
Now for what James has done.!)Hired Richt,brilliant.2.)Hired Larranga.Even more brilliant.3)Nearly
completing finance indoor athletic facility.Great.4)Fired Golden in middle of season.
Biggest problem with James,his resume looks almost too good.

A few things to get the record straight:

1. Blake James was hired on February 8, 2013. Jim Larrañaga was named the 12th head coach of the University of Miami basketball program on April 22, 2011.
So the biggest and only successful hire we had recently had nothing to do with Blake James.

2. He didn't fire Al Golden. That was Frenk. Blake James was still supporting him that week. Stop with this narrative that Blake fired him. In addition, even if Blake fired him, it was way too late. There was no reason Al Golden should have been the coach in 2014, let alone 2015 when he was still employed in the position. It was way too ***ing late and way overdue.

3. It took him 5 years to graduate from Minnesota State University- Mankato. Prior to Miami, he was the senior AD at Maine. Yes, Maine. Big bad Maine. His bio featured him being a ticket salesman (Blake James Biography - University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site). The only reason he was hired as Miami's AD was because Donna decided that a puppet was needed and he was the senior position when Shawn Eichorst resigned in October, 2012.

---------------------------------

Miami has hired atrocious ADs recently, Eichorst and Hocutt are ***cing atrocious ADs. Blake being better than them is not an accomplishment.

As for Richt being a brilliant hire, I don't know how anyone can say that at this juncture. He was fired and Blake, without any plan, scooped up an unemployed coach. We just went 8-4, we just matched the regular season win total from the year before. We just watched VT and a new HC win the Coastal in year 1. Hopefully this becomes a brilliant hire but at this juncture it was purely luck that Richt is at Miami. But for UGA firing Richt, Miami has a different HC.

Schiano would probably be head coach right now if Richt hadn't been fired at UGA. Schiano was Blake's top choice.

I'm not thrilled to death with Richt, but he's far better than Schiano. With that being said I wouldn't call Richt a good hire until he at least goes to the playoffs, and I wouldn't call him a great hire unless he wins a NC.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Schiano would probably be head coach right now if Richt hadn't been fired at UGA.

I'm not thrilled to death with Richt, but he's far better than Schiano.

Blake had NO PLAN. But for UGA firing Richt, we have someone like Schiano. It was luck that he got Richt, just like it was luck that Eichorst left and he was hired.

I honestly don't know what an AD does besides hire and fire coaches. Well a good AD schedules and fundraises in advance which BTW haven't heard anything about the football facilities breaking ground yet. I know we need to raise the total funds first so how is that coming? So basically 2 out 3 fails any of us could have closed the deal on Rick he wanted to be here. Face it Maine is the Tim Cook of college football.

Why would they have already broken ground on it when they just announced the lead donation like 2.5 months ago? So you're saying he's failed because we currently are in the fundraising stage? That makes no sense.

Yet you fail to mention under him we got the Shwartz Center which we raised $18M for and He's already been making plans to upgrade the Hecht center so it looks as nice as the Shwartz center. Greentree just went under like a $3M renovation. Then theres the Million dollar training table that Golden wouldn't shut up about as well as the upgraded locker room and players lounge. He basically got an athletic dining hall. He also signed a deal with Adidas where we are making over $8M/yr when nike was paying us under $4M. Then The Basketball stadium just underwent a $2M upgrade as well as a name change. We are in the top 10% for academic APR. And now he's getting us a IPF.

Blake James has had a great last couple of years, and the biggest complaint against him really is that he schedules a few road games and that he was basically a year late on the Golden firing, but even that ended with us getting Richt, so its not a big deal anymore.

At least someone gets it. Look at the facts people. Do your research. There are renovations being done everywhere across multiple sports as well. He also has given Richt everything he has asked for. That's called delivering and closing. Let's not forget he has locked up other great coaches like WBB Katie Meier. Didn't Coach L receive an extension recently as well?

Guys I am kidding (well half kidding) but I don't understand how a guy goes from being a complete buffoon banners flying telling him they would pay for a one way ticket to Maine economy to being an excellent AD after the Rick hire. Rick wanted to be here that is the reason he is here. The Adidas deal gave them the cash to make a play for a top tier coach. Ok tell you what I will give him 75% credit for Rick if he gets 25% blame for the debacles. I guess the Adidas deal was a Maine deal too? Not Adidas wanting to advertise?

Why does an architect drawing up facilities plans only do it weeks before Soffer ponied up the cash? After all we are the only Power 5 school to practice in the rain involuntarily. Why not as the AD think ahead and get it done can't afford to make design changes later? Maybe if he had something to show donors they may at least see it and offer assistance? I guess he didn't have the time or funds to hire an Architect.

Then this scheduling thing help me here how many times have we played road Thursday night games? Pls fact check that pls. That is an indicator of poor planning. If schools don't want to schedule us ***** them get Valdosta State and Harvard can't wait forever gives us a better chance of at least running the table! Tired of people dissing Miami return the favor for once.

I don't fault him for falling backwards into the job good for him. However I don't see him as a alpha male AD who is a leader. Making matters worse he is from Maine not a Miami guy most of us are so obsessed about a Miami connection and the boss is from a place close to the Arctic Circle. I don't have all of the answers but the banners calling for his head was less than a year ago. How much has changed?

Last edited:
Guys I am kidding (well half kidding) but I don't understand how a guy goes from being a complete buffoon banners flying telling him they would pay for a one way ticket to Maine economy to being an excellent AD after the Rick hire. Rick wanted to be here that is the reason he is here. The Adidas deal gave them the cash to make a play for a top tier coach.

Two things:

1. If UGA doesn't fire Richt, Richt is not coaching at Miami right now. That is pure luck, that isn't a plan. Blake or whoever actually hired him had no plan that involved Richt. Regardless of whether the hire was good, bad or average, it doesn't happen but for an event NOT in our control.

2. We had the money to pay a coach without Adidas. Our school is notoriously cheap but the money was there.

Apparently having the second to worse strength of schedule won't keep you from the playoffs, so schedule more cupcakes to get the team primed for conference play.... idk

Advertisement
Maybe if all you people who live within 4 hours of Miami bought season tickets and went to games he wouldn't have to schedule these games. If all our games were sold out he could afford to pay "money" games. BTW go back and look at our schedules ever since the 80's. We have always played teams all over the country. At San Diego St At La Tech Well it was in Shreveport. At Houston

East Carolina numerous times
80's we played at Cincinnati and at Louisville at Purdue
90's at Rice at Tulsa At Texas Tech at Baylor and Tulsa

There are a bunch of bloody ***** on this board

Maybe if all you people who live within 4 hours of Miami bought season tickets and went to games he wouldn't have to schedule these games. If all our games were sold out he could afford to pay "money" games. BTW go back and look at our schedules ever since the 80's. We have always played teams all over the country. At San Diego St At La Tech Well it was in Shreveport. At Houston

BOOM

There are a bunch of bloody ****s on this board

I was a member of The Hurricane Club and had season tickets for 10 years. It is not all on Maine after all look at the former President. Guys if you think we weren't taken advantage by the former administration then ok whatever! Coker, Shannon and Folden the best we could do? Maybe at Rutgers yeah.

Mistake #1 letting players choose the HC. Why have an AD then just save the money? Second having Kirby Hockett as your AD when his playoff committee just picked Washington setting up the sacrificial lamb to be obliterated in the semifinal. Finebaum "It was the right decision" he reminds me of being at the bully pulpit who could never defend himself in any aspect of his life. Who is he and when did he suit up on Saturdays to be this expert?

Anyway ok Maine is great I take back everything I have said. I just decided after the Shannon hire I couldn't take it anymore. I wouldn't adhere to repeated failures and the Admin never learning from their mistakes. Make 1 mistake forgivable. But make mistakes back to back then it is a pattern.

Advertisement

They are the very same ones that never attend games, never contribute, never do anything you would expect a fan to do. What they're good at is running down the program, the players, and bītchīng about every little thing.

That's their job. To come on here and be cūnty little bītches that complain about every fūcking thing, including the stadium, which they never go to, by the way.

Good AD. Did not hire Larannaga though. Some of you should STFU because your opinions and/or your facts are ****. Theo Epstein ain't taking the job. James is good enough.

I especially love the he's not a Miami guy, he's a Maine guy. LMAO, he was on this staff before he went to Maine. The reason he was pro Butch and Schiano was that he knew them from his time here.

Good AD. Did not hire Larannaga though. Some of you should STFU because your opinions and/or your facts are ****. Theo Epstein ain't taking the job. James is good enough.

Offers no facts but makes the above statement. Side note: There are people in between Theo and the short bus rider we employ.

Advertisement
Guys I am kidding (well half kidding) but I don't understand how a guy goes from being a complete buffoon banners flying telling him they would pay for a one way ticket to Maine economy to being an excellent AD after the Rick hire. Rick wanted to be here that is the reason he is here. The Adidas deal gave them the cash to make a play for a top tier coach.

Two things:

1. If UGA doesn't fire Richt, Richt is not coaching at Miami right now. That is pure luck, that isn't a plan. Blake or whoever actually hired him had no plan that involved Richt. Regardless of whether the hire was good, bad or average, it doesn't happen but for an event NOT in our control.

2. We had the money to pay a coach without Adidas. Our school is notoriously cheap but the money was there.

You sound so stupid when you say this. I can literally say what if about anything. The fact is he did hire Richt. So talk about what he did and didn't do. I could just as easily say what if He lured Nick Saban away from Bama? Would you think I was stupid for saying that? Yeah you would. Talk about what has actually happened. Richt was available, and he got it done. What more do you want from him ****.

Advertisement
don't mind being different. he fired golden mid season so good for now

That was Frenk.

Are you joking? Frenk didn't give a rat's ***, as he has a lot more to deal with than what happens on 13 fall Saturdays. People need to get off this "The President Runs The Athletic Department" nonsense, Golden got fired because the BOT(The People With Real Power), and the Golden Canes got together and made a change. The relationship between Golden, the school and fanbase had become toxic, and it was obvious that a change was needed right then. I think that had Miami not lost 58-0, Golden would have coached until the end of the season, and then would have been canned. Remember, the school ate some significant money by firing him midseason, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that a group of Golden Canes ponied up the money, just to get Golden out the door faster.

Apparently having the second to worse strength of schedule won't keep you from the playoffs, so schedule more cupcakes to get the team primed for conference play.... idk

Washington benefited from teams like Michigan and Penn State having two losses. Plus, Michigan stomped a mudhole in PSU, so they canceled themselves out. Had a team like OU beaten Houston and made it through the season with only the loss to Ohio State, they would have been in, and U-Dub would have been left out. Remember, Ohio State is in the Playoff merely because they went out and dialed up a tough game against OU. Ohio State with a weak schedule probably doesn't get in, because not only did they not win their conference, they didn't even win their division. Michigan finished third in their division, and it didn't help them that they lost to IOWA. Finding a happy medium between what Washington scheduled this year(Which is outside their historical norm, they usually play at least one name program per year), and a suicidal OOC slate.

We can't pay UT Chattanooga to show up for punishment. What is so wrong to travel to these schools. Smash them like we did App St and call it a day. Some of you have no perspective. We can't stack our schedule with power 5 schools and we can't waste money paying teams to come in. Name another option.....

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Back