Blake Baker

Learn football!! We wouldn’t need bracket coverage if you just rush 3 & drop 8 on FREAKING FOURTH AND SEVENTEEN!

You don’t have a clue.

What we know:
1) Howell is a young, confident, and accurate quarterback who hasn’t mastered making his intermediate progressions.
2) Baker called a play to bracket the primary receiver on that play.
3) Safety blew the coverage by getting in bad position.
4) Pass was completed for 20 yards against the blown bracket coverage.

I’m not saying it was the perfect - or even optimal - defensive call... but it sure doesn’t seem like a totally dumb call on those facts.

Advertisement
What we know:
1) Howell is a young, confident, and accurate quarterback who hasn’t mastered making his intermediate progressions.
2) Baker called a play to bracket the primary receiver on that play.
3) Safety blew the coverage by getting in bad position.
4) Pass was completed for 20 yards against the blown bracket coverage.

I’m not saying it was the perfect - or even optimal - defensive call... but it sure doesn’t seem like a totally dumb call on those facts.

1: this exactly the reason why you drop 8 & rush 3. If you knew football then you’d understand how stupid your reasoning is.

2: He shouldn’t the have made that call..he is totally to blame here.

3: Guys like you would blame our RB for not picking up a first down on 4th & 17 when the coach called a draw! This is your logic.

4: You don’t call bracket coverage on 4th and 17 under any circumstances & this is ******* Miami. We don’t bracket coverage UNC WR’s. You keep blaming the end result and I blame the decision maker who put the kid in a bad position.

Again, again, again, again...There’s no need for bracket coverage if you don’t rush 6 like he called. Just drop ******* 8 & play cover 4.

Learn the game of football

Lol I didn't make the call nor am I saying I agree with it but that's what the call was and on that play Gurvan doesn't play it the way he should have.

I bet you blamed joe yearby bc he didn’t complete the pass in the freaking snow.

You are clueless

1: this exactly the reason why you drop 8 & rush 3. If you knew football then you’d understand how stupid your reasoning is.

2: He shouldn’t the have made that call..he is totally to blame here.

3: Guys like you would blame our RB for not picking up a first down on 4th & 17 when the coach called a draw! This is your logic.

4: You don’t call bracket coverage on 4th and 17 under any circumstances & this is ******* Miami. We don’t bracket coverage UNC WR’s. You keep blaming the end result and I blame the decision maker who put the kid in a bad position.

Again, again, again, again...There’s no need for bracket coverage if you don’t rush 6 like he called. Just drop ******* 8 & play cover 4.

Learn the game of football

Tell me how cover 4 would have better covered the receiver. You can’t because it wouldn’t have. The receiver was doubled.

There are things not to like about the blitz, but that defense accounted for UNC’s tendencies and had double coverage on the intended receiver.

The blitz, as much as I didn’t like the type of blitz used, was to prevent a deadly accurate quarterback (who throws downfield extremely well and accurately) from having all day to go through progressions and fit the ball in space.

The call actually worked as intended, the receiver was bracketed... accurate throw, good catch, poor coverage.

Bytch about the type of blitz... but cover 4 is for a fan who hasn’t studied film and tendencies.

Advertisement
Tell me how cover 4 would have better covered the receiver. You can’t because it wouldn’t have. The receiver was doubled.

There are things not to like about the blitz, but that defense accounted for UNC’s tendencies and had double coverage on the intended receiver.

The blitz, as much as I didn’t like the type of blitz used, was to prevent a deadly accurate quarterback (who throws downfield extremely well and accurately) from having all day to go through progressions and fit the ball in space.

The call actually worked as intended, the receiver was bracketed... accurate throw, good catch, poor coverage.

Bytch about the type of blitz... but cover 4 is for a fan who hasn’t studied film and tendencies.

First off..quit talking about tendencies..you think it makes you sound smart. You sound moronic. What tendencies did UNC show on 4th down in the previous game? How many times was UNC in 4th & 17 this season? How many 4th & longs did they attempt before our game? How many? They had one 4th & short MFer. Close your mouth talking about tendencies.

The WR ran a ******* double move on 4th & 17..any good DC anticipates that & simply calls a simple ******* cover 4. You keep running your mouth about him being their best WR based on tendency and you’re lying like a MFer. That kid isn’t their best WR. Their leading WR is Dyami Brown who led them in catches & TD’s in both games (rec, yards & TD’s against us). The kid (Groves) that made the catch on 4th & 17 had 2 catches all game before that play. The only tendency here is your lying a$$ mouth.

Cover 4 would’ve worked better bc it allows each DB to split the field in a quarter..it requires simple back pedaling, opening up while keeping the WR aligned inside, DB’s back is to the sideline...you can watch both QB & WR essentially at the same time & you’re not susceptible to the double move bc you have 4 other defenders in underneath zones.

Instead, he asked his safety to cover an entire half of field on 4th & 17 which is much harder!

You are football neophyte & you equate cover 4 with fans not having any knowledge bc it’s you who truly doesn’t know ****.

Go away

Totally unrelated but Gurvan Hall is not very good and I hope I have to eat those words. Make me a **** liar.
Gurvan Hall and DJ Ivey were terrible vs UNC. Add to that the fact that Bandy had his worse game as a Hurricane and we were without Amari Carter. I expect Bandy to rebound and Carter will be back. I also have to think that Hall and Ivey will improve considerably as the season goes on because there is no way that their play Saturday against UNC was a accurate representation of the type of players they can and will become. I'm not saying that they will be 1st team All ACC but good solid starters or better isn't unreasonable. At least I don't think it is.

This secondary is going to be a major work in progress all season long so be ready. We need to see Couch and Williams at CB as the season progresses as we desperately need the depth. Keontra Smith should also start getting reps here and there. WTF is going on with Bubba Bolden?????? Seriously this has gone in long enough! We need Bolden to be the glue that holds this secondary together. Going back to Gurvan Hall, he needs to tighten up because if he doesn't improve, Bolden and Smith are going to fly right by him. What really ****es me off is that there is no reason for UM to ever be this thin in the secondary especially at CB. Those misses by Rumph hurt us bad and we are beginning to feel the effects. 2020 is not an especially good year for CBs either so we better hope that the kids thst are here now start to develop and that we hit on the CBs we are bringing in for the 2020 class.

Gurvan Hall and DJ Ivey were terrible vs UNC. Add to that the fact that Bandy had his worse game as a Hurricane and we were without Amari Carter. I expect Bandy to rebound and Carter will be back. I also have to think that Hall and Ivey will improve considerably as the season goes on because there is no way that their play Saturday against UNC was a accurate representation of the type of players they can and will become. I'm not saying that they will be 1st team All ACC but good solid starters or better isn't unreasonable. At least I don't think it is.

This secondary is going to be a major work in progress all season long so be ready. We need to see Couch and Williams at CB as the season progresses as we desperately need the depth. Keontra Smith should also start getting reps here and there. WTF is going on with Bubba Bolden?????? Seriously this has gone in long enough! We need Bolden to be the glue that holds this secondary together. Going back to Gurvan Hall, he needs to tighten up because if he doesn't improve, Bolden and Smith are going to fly right by him. What really ****es me off is that there is no reason for UM to ever be this thin in the secondary especially at CB. Those misses by Rumph hurt us bad and we are beginning to feel the effects. 2020 is not an especially good year for CBs either so we better hope that the kids thst are here now start to develop and that we hit on the CBs we are bringing in for the 2020 class.
Ivey is to slow for this level, and to be our biggest CB he plays really soft

Diaz took the next step when he eliminated delayed safety blitzes and learned what sticks defense was.
We should not have to be teaching another DC the same thing.
And why are we spying everyone like they’re mike Vick? Be aggressive and oh idk STICKS DEFENSE in 4th and a whole field? Fire that *******
This×1000

Baker is purposefully holding Garvin back because he wants to be more conservative and spy the QB. The strength of this entire defense are the DEs and their ability to penetrate at the snap and wreak havoc. It's what we have been doing since Diaz arrived and this incompetent boob is literally neutralizing our biggest strength. Baker needs to be gone yesterday. By the middle to the end of the year the entire fan base is going to want him gone. Just wait.

Advertisement
Ivey is to slow for this level, and to be our biggest CB he plays really soft
He sure looked like it vs UNC didn't he? Yep I noticed that too but I was hoping that I could chalk it up to being tentative for his 1st start on the road. I agree with you that he looks too slow but we have to hope that we are wrong and he gets better because the alternative really sucks.

People calling out G. Hall must not remember how many blown plays and wide open WRs this defense had/allowed in 2017. How many plays did J. Johnson leave on the field as a 1st time starter. Mostly due to terrible coaching and play calls?

Who were the personnel on the field that allowed Clemson’s transfer QB to go 17/17(?) to start a game? Kid was mediocre as **** as a QB and we made him look like Cunningham.

The ENTIRE ******* SECONDARY LOOKED LIKE TRASH. And somehow you guys can’t figure out that coaching has everything to do with it. UNC had guys running WIDE ******* OPEN most of the night. Several bust by our most consistent player. He’s clearly talking to the sideline after plays. But, you guys still can’t figure it out.

COACHING IS EVERYTHING. Baker is a simp. His attention to detail is *****. Our tackling has gotten worse. Pre-snap alignments are poor. We’re running dumb stunts at the wrong time. How we finish has gotten worse. Our communication in the back 7 is trash - even though we have 2 SENIOR LBS WITH 3+ YEARS under their belt. And we’re not being disciplined when we collapse the pocket. All of it is leading to terrible breakdowns and big plays for our opponent.

Diaz took the next step when he eliminated delayed safety blitzes and learned what sticks defense was.
We should not have to be teaching another DC the same thing.
And why are we spying everyone like they’re mike Vick? Be aggressive and oh idk STICKS DEFENSE in 4th and a whole field? Fire that *******

Exactly. There’s no way we should be taking this type of HUGE step backwards with our DC - just to maintain concept consistency. Fugg Baker.

People calling out G. Hall must not remember how many blown plays and wide open WRs this defense had/allowed in 2017. How many plays did J. Johnson leave on the field as a 1st time starter. Mostly due to terrible coaching and play calls?

Who were the personnel on the field that allowed Clemson’s transfer QB to go 17/17(?) to start a game? Kid was mediocre as **** as a QB and we made him look like Cunningham.

The ENTIRE ******* SECONDARY LOOKED LIKE TRASH. And somehow you guys can’t figure out that coaching has everything to do with it. UNC had guys running WIDE ******* OPEN most of the night. Several bust by our most consistent player. He’s clearly talking to the sideline after plays. But, you guys still can’t figure it out.

COACHING IS EVERYTHING. Baker is a simp. His attention to detail is *****. Our tackling has gotten worse. Pre-snap alignments are poor. We’re running dumb stunts at the wrong time. How we finish has gotten worse. Our communication in the back 7 is trash - even though we have 2 SENIOR LBS WITH 3+ YEARS under their belt. And we’re not being disciplined when we collapse the pocket. All of it is leading to terrible breakdowns and big plays for our opponent.
Excellent assessment! Diaz effed up big time with the Baker hire. He is terrible. Absolutely terrible. I don't care what Diaz says publicly. He better know that if he doesn't take over this defense it may cost him his job. Diaz did a great job with the Enos hire and you can tell that this offense is heading in the right direction and could be extremely potent going forward. The irony is that the side of the ball that we were most comfortable and confident in may be the unit that derails this season. We need to hope that Diaz realizes he made a mistake with Baker and fires him at the end of the season. It's clear Baker has no business being a DC on this level.

Advertisement
Excellent assessment! Diaz effed up big time with the Baker hire. He is terrible. Absolutely terrible. I don't care what Diaz says publicly. He better know that if he doesn't take over this defense it may cost him his job. Diaz did a great job with the Enos hire and you can tell that this offense is heading in the right direction and could be extremely potent going forward. The irony is that the side of the ball that we were most comfortable and confident in may be the unit that derails this season. We need to hope that Diaz realizes he made a mistake with Baker and fires him at the end of the season. It's clear Baker has no business being a DC on this level.
Do you honestly think Manny has been hands off with this defense the entire offseason and the 2 weeks leading up to the UNC game? Baker may ultimately prove to be a dud and maybe the 4th & 17 blitz call was all on him, but let's not pretend like Manny has nothing to do with the defense.

Thank you thank you thank you.

By the way, you have a legendary screen name man. If this is “NATO” that I nicknamed a long time ago bc he had international ******* 🤣🤣🤣🤣 then what’s up fam!! I hope everything & everyone is well.

If this is not that guy..disregard but I wish you well. Lol

Advertisement
Do you honestly think Manny has been hands off with this defense the entire offseason and the 2 weeks leading up to the UNC game? Baker may ultimately prove to be a dud and maybe the 4th & 17 blitz call was all on him, but let's not pretend like Manny has nothing to do with the defense.

Do I think manny would afford another coach the same opportunity like richt afforded him...yes I do think he’s been hands off.

That’s what happens when guys who graduate are replaced by players who aren’t as good.

Your comment might seem remedial or even sarcastic to some....but that's truly the difference in schools that bag hard and schools that don't...facts suck, but when your replacing graduating talent with high end replacements versus JAGS, it simply makes a difference when playing subpar opponents. Sadly, that is what we have become now too...no different than who just beat us.

We have to get past this speed U ****. We can always be that....we need to start trending toward trench U, whatever the price. A bad *** DL this year, protects newbies in the secondary from too many glaring mistakes and makes our linebackers look faster. No need to comment on what a bad *** OL would do for us.

UM

Or maybe we just have alot of young guys at defensive back and they need more game experience. I think Gurvan Hall can be one of our better defensive players and will start making plays sooner than later

Of course not. I know he is aware of what Baker is doing. I know he is at all the defensive meetings etc..When I say take over the defense I specifically mean the playcalling on game day.

Advertisement
Back