Blake Baker

I have no problem with the blitz on 4th and 17. I would have showed the pressure early instead of bringing them from 20+ yards from the target point but after two consecutive TFLs, I agree with the pressure
Blitzing was the right thing to do, but the blitz Baker called was dumb and slow developing. I didnt even think we blitzed until I saw the replay. He got too cute when we should have just sent our linebackers right up the middle.

Advertisement
Baker just had a child. I suspect he wasn't as focused this week

edit: not saying he is giving that as an excuse. but he's human and I am sure he wasn't as focused....just sayin'

Last edited:
Blitzing wasn't the problem yesterday. It was the fact that we left our CBs out on island all day despite them continuing to get beat. We were too scared of their ******* running game and we couldn't adjust when it turned out their QB was doing all the damage.
Manny never played as much man coverage as I saw last night. Manny's premise was always to limit the big plays in the passing game.

This is tough to read. Our players sometimes just play so stupidly
I don't think we would be talking about the play call on 4th&17 if Gurvan plays his assignment the way he should have. If he did I think the blitz still gets there.

Advertisement
Blitzing was the right thing to do, but the blitz Baker called was dumb and slow developing. I didnt even think we blitzed until I saw the replay. He got too cute when we should have just sent our linebackers right up the middle.
This. Either show and go or do a Double A gap... not people 20 yards away from the target point

That UNC QB is going to be a problem going forward for any team they face.

He’d elevate any offense he walked in to.

Advertisement
This is Manny’s scheme. We’re just not doing as good of a job getting to the QB and our secondary is getting exposed.
Another dope desperate to scream corch.

When has Manny ever played that much man? When has Manny ever played that much cover 0 or cover 1?

Welcome to being a Miami fan you must be new around here. Must’ve missed the last 3 years

Another dope desperate to scream corch.

When has Manny ever played that much man? When has Manny ever played that much cover 0 or cover 1?

Welcome to being a Miami fan you must be new around here. Must’ve missed the last 3 years
Lol, you seem upset. I was actually defending Baker and putting blame on the players so I’m not sure how that = “screaming corch”. And if you really think Manny isn’t involved with the defense I’m not sure what to tell you.

I don't think we would be talking about the play call on 4th&17 if Gurvan plays his assignment the way he should have. If he did I think the blitz still gets there.

But who’s fault is that? Is Gurvan just that bad or unprepared? He was probably the most coveted recruit we signed in 2018 so I know it isn’t talent. Could it be the G5 coordinator or the bartender masking as his coach and developer?

Advertisement
But who’s fault is that? Is Gurvan just that bad or unprepared? He was probably the most coveted recruit we signed in 2018 so I know it isn’t talent. Could it be the G5 coordinator or the bartender masking as his coach and developer?
I don't think he is bad at all I think it's more game experience. I feel what you saying but it's not like Gurvan isn't in position to be effective he's just not being effective.

No offense, but this is a very Al Golden-era excuse....

We're not penetrating, attacking or setting the edge, and we don't seem well prepared; there are problems at all levels of this defense but it starts with the fundamental approach on the defensive side of the ball. I don't hear loud noises and there's no unwavering violence. In fact, we look very passive and unwilling/unable to dictate the terms of the game with our physicality.

The offense--and mainly QB play--has improved since last season and game ,1 but there remains a lot of room for improvement. The defense is just the opposite and the two have a common denominator... New coordinator.
It's not an excuse so much as its pointing out what we have to address. The gameplan against Florida was great, IMO, because we took away their strength and dared them to beat us with their weakness. As has been discussed plenty on this board already, if we make any of about 7 plays in that game, we win. Against North Carolina, I'll cede that we appeared to underestimate Howell as a QB, but we still took away their running game, so the plan worked somewhat. It could have been better. We made adjustments in the 2nd Q, didn't make them in the 4th. That's on coaching, sure.

But what isn't on coaching, yet, are the poor attempts at tackling. If we're at Week 10 and it's still a problem, I'll point to coaching then. Most of these guys who played last year were great at tackling then but aren't this year. Is that only on coaching?

It's not an excuse so much as its pointing out what we have to address. The gameplan against Florida was great, IMO, because we took away their strength and dared them to beat us with their weakness. As has been discussed plenty on this board already, if we make any of about 7 plays in that game, we win. Against North Carolina, I'll cede that we appeared to underestimate Howell as a QB, but we still took away their running game, so the plan worked somewhat. It could have been better. We made adjustments in the 2nd Q, didn't make them in the 4th. That's on coaching, sure.

But what isn't on coaching, yet, are the poor attempts at tackling. If we're at Week 10 and it's still a problem, I'll point to coaching then. Most of these guys who played last year were great at tackling then but aren't this year. Is that only on coaching?

No. 3 times I see they run the draw over that right edge for big first downs because Patchan stunts behind Ford. We were too cute and got gashed each time. We didn't stop their running game at all.

Advertisement
No. 3 times I see they run the draw over that right edge for big first downs because Patchan stunts behind Ford. We were too cute and got gashed each time. We didn't stop their running game at all.

North Carolina averaged 193 yards rushing per game in 2018, 238 against South Carolina last week, 97 against us. Maybe you don't consider that "taking away", but holding a team to 50% of their usual production in any area is a good thing to me. It's not the only thing, naturally, but perhaps this is just comes down to a matter of perspective.

North Carolina averaged 193 yards rushing per game in 2018, 238 against South Carolina last week, 97 against us. Maybe you don't consider that "taking away", but holding a team to 50% of their usual production in any area is a good thing to me. It's not the only thing, naturally, but perhaps this is just comes down to a matter of perspective.
dont use facts on CI. Most here will complain no matter what

That blitz on 4th and 17 was actually classic Manny. He would do that **** all the time.

You’ve got freaks at DE like Rousseau.

Just let them work for ***** sake.

Should have had our NASCAR members blitzing.

I've never seen such a ****-poor formation as we did. Not even D'Onofrio's * * * * show.

Advertisement
Back