Blake Baker Interviewed With LSU

From LSU 247 in the past hour:

*** Another note to pass along on Miami defensive coordinator and linebackers coach Blake Baker. He's a candidate and he's very much a natural fit for the job, but he also makes around $700,000 and despite having his play calling duties stripped, it's tough to give up that type of salary as well. LSU pays very well of course, but for a linebackers coach, that might be tough when there
May just be a negotiation tactic. $500k in Baton Rouge goes a lot further than $700k in Miami, I’m sure. If you know your contract won’t be renewed the following year and you can find a solid landing spot, then seems worth it to take. I’m sure he’s considering all those factors as well.

Advertisement
LOL. Banda to USU. I'm talking about raiding our staff from top to bottom, ala Alabama raiding.

Can we stop with the Bama comparisons?

He just filled his OC and OL coach openings with prior NFL coaches. We, nor will anyone else ever be that program.

Travis Williams is also being brought in to interview with Orgeron. Seems like he may be a more affordable option with very good recommendations...
He was a CO-DC and LB coach at Auburn. I wonder what that gets you at a school like Auburn. Of course he's out of a job so it wouldn't be any type of paycut.

Advertisement
If he feels this way about Baker, and seeing our LB’s last season, why does he keep him this year?
Well Blake didn’t recruit majority of the **** show lb room, manny did. The greatest lb coach on earth wasn’t making that lb crew faster . That’s why the youngsters are huge next year.

But like I said this is the final year of his contact. So don’t get stressing over who’s the lb coach. The focus is much bigger than that position coach going into next year. It’s all on manny.

Advertisement
There it is. But the fry guys just want to scream and rant on message boards and call out their checker moves.

Here is how I see it... and this is just my 2 cents...

We just opened the bank to get T-Rob and Simpson, a year after landing Lashlee, Likens and Field. Yes, T-Rob, the type of SEC goon we've been BEGGING for over the last couple of decades... and Simpson, a f'ing NFL DL coach that we know and love already. Amazing how little pub those power moves are getting here.

We still owe Baker another year's salary. That said, we actually went after a couple of guys for DC who were on Manny's wish list. We didn't land them. So instead of making a hysterical fry guy decision like firing the DC, eating his $ in a Covid-19 redline year, and getting STUCK for the next few years with another guy we don't think is the answer, Manny kept it CEO and demoted Baker, (and has encouraged him to seek a job elsewhere) and is going to call the plays himself (I know the fry guys are too busy being miserable but Manny is a top DC who most programs would open the bank for if he ever lost his HC job).

Then, next year, with another great recruiting class in the bank, another year of progress, the 2021 season's worth of revenue instead of this financial black hole season known as Covid-19, we go big game hunting for our DC.
This actually makes a lot of sense and gives me hope for next season. Therefore, I'm choosing to go with your line of thinking.

Well Blake didn’t recruit majority of the **** show lb room, manny did. The greatest lb coach on earth wasn’t making that lb crew faster . That’s why the youngsters are huge next year.

But like I said this is the final year of his contact. So don’t get stressing over who’s the lb coach. The focus is much bigger than that position coach going into next year. It’s all on manny.

this.

also, I agree with you on the LB performance. Blake has faults esp as a DC, but I don't blame the LB issues on him. like you said, he didn't recruit the core that played the most esp once covid took out the young dudes. I think it was a cheap move by the school to not just get rid of Blake completely if thats what the hold up was esp with a year left on his deal as you said, but w.e. hope LSU takes him.

Advertisement
I generally trust LSU when it comes to knowing there **** on defense..so maybe they know something we dont know about ole Baker. They seem to have been interested in him every offseason. If LSU wants you on their D as a position coach..thats saying something. Maybe Baker just wasnt a good fit here and will find success in a new environment.

Yeah Bo Peleni was a home run

5 of the coaches on LSU’s staff are Louisiana natives & while Baker is from Houston, he apparently is a well liked coach in Louisiana from his time as a player at Tulane & as a coach at LA Tech.

He doesn’t belong in Miami, he’s not a good fit here, doesn’t have enough fire & doesn’t command the respect of the Defense, he’s pretty much seen as just Manny’s high paid sidekick, so the writing is on the wall...

Hopefully Eddy O does us this solid & takes him off our hands, but if LSU doesn’t want to cut the check for him, the LB’s coach job just opened up at North Texas & he’d fit perfect on that staff under DC Phil Bennett, SMU just lost their DC/LB’s coach Kevin Kane to Illinois, University of Houston is also in need of a LB’s coach right now & Tennessee will also be looking for a LB’s coach pretty soon too whenever the new HC gets named.

Bake leaving would give Miami an opportunity to add another good coach on staff who could be a dynamic recruiter which we will need for the 22 class at LB, but we could also bring in a legit DC if Manny is open to it as opposed to deciding to call plays himself this year.

T-Will is the obvious choice with the connection to T-Rob, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be TWill, there’s still several good choices that wouldn’t cost Miami more than 450-500K per to bring them in, both Tyrone Nix & Joseph Gillespie are terrific DC/LB’s coaches who did a great job this year at UTSA & Tulsa & neither one is making more than 300K a year.

But if Bake did leave of course T-Will would be the most likely choice, but the point is, there’s lots of really good options to replace Baker, it would be a real shame if Diaz lets this opportunity to upgrade the LB & potentially the DC spot pass us by in these coming days by trying to save face & protect Baker. Let his *** go & he’s free to go whenever he wants, people are acting like 1 year left on a contract is gonna put Miami in the hole lol, despite the constant effort of always trying to make Miami seem like we’re the little sisters of the poor, we can afford to move on from Baker with a year left on his deal, we moved on from Enox, Stubblefck & Botch Berry when they had multiple years left on their deals & yes I’m aware of Covid, but again, we’re not flat broke or in debt as a program, we played a full 11 game season & had fans at every home game, plus still have multiple Billionaires on the BOT, we’re okay enough financially to replace a LB coach lol.

Advertisement
5 of the coaches on LSU’s staff are Louisiana natives & while Baker is from Houston, he apparently is a well liked coach in Louisiana from his time as a player at Tulane & as a coach at LA Tech.

He doesn’t belong in Miami, he’s not a good fit here, doesn’t have enough fire & doesn’t command the respect of the Defense, he’s pretty much seen as just Manny’s high paid sidekick, so the writing is on the wall...

Hopefully Eddy O does us this solid & takes him off our hands, but if LSU doesn’t want to cut the check for him, the LB’s coach job just opened up at North Texas & he’d fit perfect on that staff under DC Phil Bennett, SMU just lost their DC/LB’s coach Kevin Kane to Illinois, University of Houston is also in need of a LB’s coach right now & Tennessee will also be looking for a LB’s coach pretty soon too whenever the new HC gets named.

Bake leaving would give Miami an opportunity to add another good coach on staff who could be a dynamic recruiter which we will need for the 22 class at LB, but we could also bring in a legit DC if Manny is open to it as opposed to deciding to call plays himself this year.

T-Will is the obvious choice with the connection to T-Rob, but it doesn’t necessarily have to be TWill, there’s still several good choices that wouldn’t cost Miami more than 450-500K per to bring them in, both Tyrone Nix & Joseph Gillespie are terrific DC/LB’s coaches who did a great job this year at UTSA & Tulsa & neither one is making more than 300K a year.

But if Bake did leave of course T-Will would be the most likely choice, but the point is, there’s lots of really good options to replace Baker, it would be a real shame if Diaz lets this opportunity to upgrade the LB & potentially the DC spot pass us by in these coming days by trying to save face & protect Baker. Let his *** go & he’s free to go whenever he wants, people are acting like 1 year left on a contract is gonna put Miami in the hole lol, despite the constant effort of always trying to make Miami seem like we’re the little sisters of the poor, we can afford to move on from Baker with a year left on his deal, we moved on from Enox, Stubblefck & Botch Berry when they had multiple years left on their deals & yes I’m aware of Covid, but again, we’re not flat broke or in debt as a program, we played a full 11 game season & had fans at every home game, plus still have multiple Billionaires on the BOT, we’re okay enough financially to replace a LB coach lol.
Seems like Manny is letting "his boys" make their own decisions about leaving (maybe with some behind the scenes prodding:cigar:) so he doesn't have to fire them.

Hopefully LSU hires a lb coach soon so we don't have weeks of speculation of him leaving only to hear he has been given his play calling duties back and extension

Seems like Manny is letting "his boys" make their own decisions about leaving (maybe with some behind the scenes prodding) so he doesn't have to fire them.
That’s my whole point, the whole not firing them thing is unnecessary, if LSU doesn’t pick him up just cut the cord, we shouldn’t have to wait until another team signs him before we can move on, especially when there are way better options on the market right now.

T-Will would blaze the trail up at Miami on this staff, just stop waiting around protecting Bake’s feelings & go get him, literally every other program is making new coaching moves daily, Miami shouldn’t be any different.

The goal should always be to improve the team at all costs, not break your back protecting a grown man’s feelings who’s a professional. The coaching business is just that, a business, Bake doesn’t need a special set of stipulations before he can be hired or fired, not to mention time’s of the essence, it’s smart to make the move ASAP so we don’t fck around & miss out on a dude like T-Will, because trust me, he has plenty of options as well, he won’t be on the market for too long.

Who has elite resume writing skills on this board? Let's fax a world-class resume to the schools LCE just mentioned on Baker's behalf. It's the least we can do for a member of the 🙌 family, let's show him our support! A highlight reel with only clips from the FSU and Duke games would be a nice touch as well.

Advertisement
Back