Blake Baker hired

Lost in this decision is Manny willing to tell two close confidants, that he kept on staff, that it isn't your turn yet and to believe in the mission.

I'm not sure how many people on this board, or in this world, given the same situation could or would have done the same.

The absolute easiest route forward was leaving Banda and Patke as Co-DC and just having a heavier hand in the playcalling as HC.

Manny Diaz couldn't have started his tenure here any better.
I'd love to see what his planned staff was for Temple.

Is it the same guys or has he picked from a higher tier of candidates now he's the HC of the U?

Advertisement
Its a decent hire nothing more, nothing else. Guy is young and has potential, ultimately it doesn't matter as this is Manny's defense, he is just running it. Happy that he at least chose to go get a DC rather than doing it all himself.

Huge plus having a guy thats called plays before. Manny has enough responsibilty then to be teaching Banda, Patke. Our defense isnt going to change. Another young, hungry coach. And the best part, im sure he was cheap. I trust Manny 1000%

Advertisement
Can you believe rictch was seriously about to roll into the season with just banda and patke calling the plays, imagine where we would be if they were alone 100% with the defense WOW even many knows they are position coaches at best right now

I don't.
Some guys posted that Richt knew he was on his way out.
I have to agree with them.

I'll tell you why you're being down voted. Blake had LA Tech, not LSU, but LA Tech in the top 35 in total def, top 30 in interception (2 behind us), top 25 in fewest penalties (which smashed us), top 30 in passing yards allowed, top 40 in ppg allowed (5 ppg behind us), top 11 for sacks (.08 behind us), top 12 for TFLs....all with a bunch of scrubs, literally.

He has mucho potential. I didn't like his red zone def, however. That was bottom of the NCAA, but opponents getting the RZ was far in between.

He'll be able to do wonders with our talent on def and I'm not one of those homer fans. I truly dig this hire. He's an up and comer.
What were his numbers for the previous years. Anyone can use numbers for a particular year and make someone look great. I'm looking for the yearly body of work. I get he has potential, but even Lucane said it's better to have a defensive coordinator who has seen other things etc. That is my concern as well.

Manny can’t go out and get Aranda or someone for 2 million. Miami doesn’t have that kind of money. Also with Manny wanting his defense ran, you cant bring in someone who is going to switch it all up. That would cause conflict. This allows him to hand over the keys to someone who has called plays before and has the same exact philosophy. It’s a good fit.
Yes they have money

LOL Applewhite is one of the best offensive minds in football but I do prefer Fedora but Applewhite would be amazing as well.

Totally down with Major. He learned Herman's offense at Houston so well and so quickly that Tom never called a play the 3 years he was there. Also, if you look at the people that have hired Applewhite when they could pick anyone in the country, like Saban and Tom Herman did, then you should know the guy is no slouch.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'd love to see what his planned staff was for Temple.

Is it the same guys or has he picked from a higher tier of candidates now he's the HC of the U?

Lol I’m pretty sure fedora wasn’t going to be his OC candidate at temple.

Like the hire. Keeping continuity on D is probably a good thing. It wasn't the glaring issue - the O was and needed a complete overhaul that Manny seems to be doing. You can't eat an elephant in one bite.

first Patke has only been an on field coach for less than a year. That is green. Banda has only been a position coach for 3 years that is green. Rumph has only been a position coach for 3 years that is green.
There have been many post about banda not actually being a good coach but more of a rah-rah guy. The jury is still out on Patke. Finley looked good in his new role, but was that because of Patke or because Manny actually put him in a position to succeed. Smith looked lost and he is coached by Patke too.

People on here want Rumph's head because he is lacking in recruiting.

The staff is green.

53A931D8-E485-40EF-9EB5-6205076EEAB9.gif

Advertisement
Jeezus was returning Christmas gifts come home and bam... DC hired... looking good so far. We got to be ready for the Gaytors. Can he do it?

IMO, we could have done better than Baker, but I am cool with him as long as the standard is high or see ya later.

In fact, I HOPE BAKER IS BETTER THAN MANNY.

Advertisement
What were his numbers for the previous years. Anyone can use numbers for a particular year and make someone look great. I'm looking for the yearly body of work. I get he has potential, but even Lucane said it's better to have a defensive coordinator who has seen other things etc. That is my concern as well.

Improvements every year. Going from 70th to 56th to 35th.

Is that OK?

I’ll admit I truly thought Banda/Patke would stay DC but I’m glad Diaz got someone else. This move made sense, gotta believe it’s a low cost move but someone who knows Diaz system and actually has DC experience.

The only about the defensive staff us recruiting in my opinion

I dont know why people are questioning the experience level. Clearly they have coached the defense here very well. They have proven themselves in that aspect

Advertisement
Back