Blake Baker hired

Lost in this decision is Manny willing to tell two close confidants, that he kept on staff, that it isn't your turn yet and to believe in the mission.

I'm not sure how many people on this board, or in this world, given the same situation could or would have done the same.

The absolute easiest route forward was leaving Banda and Patke as Co-DC and just having a heavier hand in the playcalling as HC.

Manny Diaz couldn't have started his tenure here any better.

Advertisement
Shoop would be the definition of paying a lot of $ for running what Manny doesnt want (MSU runs a 3-4).

Grinch is going to either stay at Ohio St or go to Oklahoma. Miami isnt winning a bidding war there.

You basically are saying if its not a "big name", its not a good hire. Its been covered pretty extensively itt why Baker is a really smart choice, especially when Manny also demoted Banda/Patke.
Not at all, those are just a couple of examples. . Names don't matter to me, but I do look at the numbers and the overall composition of the defensive staff which is very green. His numbers don't reflect a top tier defensive coordinator.

People were complaining about how green the defensive staff was last year. All they did was replace Manny with an even younger guy.

They are young!
5C2C2679-47D7-49CF-A15A-B90FE37F4EFB.jpeg

Advertisement
Lost in this decision is Manny willing to tell two close confidants, that he kept on staff, that it isn't your turn yet and to believe in the mission.

I'm not sure how many people on this board, or in this world, given the same situation could or would have done the same.

The absolute easiest route forward was leaving Banda and Patke as Co-DC and just having a heavier hand in the playcalling as HC.

Manny Diaz couldn't have started his tenure here any better.

Savages coach with savages

Hate beating a dead horse and a guy who's not w us anymore, but what a clown move it was for Richt to promote Banda and Patke to DC.

If their own mentor doesn't believe they're ready, it shows you what a lazy, frightened hire it was on Richts part.

I think it was more about keeping the recruits and if it worked out... great! If it didn’t work out then you had more time to consider your options than right before signing day and you kept the recruits from bleeding. Not saying it was a great play but I understood it.

Lol ok there were tons of post about the "chili bartender" and Patke, and Rumph. Will not feed the troll anymore...
Your comprehension skills need some work. They were saying that when he was bumped to DC. Banda, Patke, Simpson, and Rumph have all proved they could coach.

Rumph is about to put a third draft pick into the NFL.

Banda is about to put a 2nd draft pick and maybe a 3rd into the NFL.

Patke took a special teamer in Finley and made him our second best LB/one of our best overall defenders and actually got consistency out of McCloud.

Jess improved our run defense immensely and is 3x the recruiter “non-green” coach Kul was.

Now we’re adding a Coordinator who has been calling plays for 4 years who finished the year ranked 32 in total defense.

That’s not green...that looks like competence. Stop guessing and actually do some research

Advertisement
Thank goodness it isn't going to be Cheech and Chong. Now they can go back to being the position coaches they are

Really makes you wonder what Richt was ******* thinking. Diaz didn’t even think Banda and Patke were ready to call plays.

Your comprehension skills need some work. They were saying that when he was bumped to DC. Banda, Patke, Simpson, and Rumph have all proved they could coach.

Patke took a special teamer in Finley and made him our second best LB/one of our best overall defenders and actually got consistency out of McCloud.

Jess improved our run defense immensely and is 3x the recruiter “non-green” coach Kul was.

Now we’re adding a Coordinator who has been calling plays for 4 years.

That’s not green...that looks like competence. Stop guessing and actually do some research
first Patke has only been an on field coach for less than a year. That is green. Banda has only been a position coach for 3 years that is green. Rumph has only been a position coach for 3 years that is green.
There have been many post about banda not actually being a good coach but more of a rah-rah guy. The jury is still out on Patke. Finley looked good in his new role, but was that because of Patke or because Manny actually put him in a position to succeed. Smith looked lost and he is coached by Patke too.

People on here want Rumph's head because he is lacking in recruiting.

The staff is green.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Now we’re adding a Coordinator who has been calling plays for 4 years who finished the year ranked 32 in total defense.

Not everyone can be inexperienced and that head guy better have some seasoning. Im good with this room right here...

I don't know why that post is getting downvoted. It's not a home run higher. The guy fits what Manny wants to do but he's young and doesn't have that great of a resume. It's not a bad hire but it's not like he knocked it out of the park with this one.

I'll tell you why you're being down voted. Blake had LA Tech, not LSU, but LA Tech in the top 35 in total def, top 30 in interception (2 behind us), top 25 in fewest penalties (which smashed us), top 30 in passing yards allowed, top 40 in ppg allowed (5 ppg behind us), top 11 for sacks (.08 behind us), top 12 for TFLs....all with a bunch of scrubs, literally.

He has mucho potential. I didn't like his red zone def, however. That was bottom of the NCAA, but opponents getting the RZ was far in between.

He'll be able to do wonders with our talent on def and I'm not one of those homer fans. I truly dig this hire. He's an up and comer.

His Defense held Hawaii who had the 9th ranked passing offense to 168yds passing 58yds rushing & only 14 points, plus forced 3 turnovers.
Also held FAU who had the 13th ranked total offense to just 121yds passing & 13 points forcing 2 turnovers.

La Tech finished the season tied 11th in Team Sacks with 36 on the season (Miami had 37), they also were 12th in TFL's, had 13INT's on the season (Miami had 15) & 22 total turnovers gained (Miami had 24). Jaylon Ferguson finished his career as the All-time leader in Sacks in college football history break Terrell Suggs record of 42.5 with 45 sacks.

Their Defense however wasn't great in Run Defense, but he ran a classic Manny Diaz style Defense, fast attacking 4-3 centered around pressuring & collapsing Offenses OL's with TFL's, Sacks & forcing a high amount of Turnovers.

I like the hire a great deal, Manny will still be involved with the Defensive game planning but as a HC he made a smart move hiring a guy who had been a DC elsewhere that understands what to do, rather than stick with Banda/Patke trying to do some Co DC balancing act. Patke can continue to focus on coaching up Strikers & OLB's, while Banda can continue to develop the Safety play.

Can't wait to see what Diaz does with the offensive staff, I like what he's doing so far, this team might be turned around in the right direction soon enough.

LOL. Wish I would've seen this post before regurgitating all of this. LOL.

Manny also said S&C coming soon in the presser so with how quick this was I imagine it should be announced by tomorrow.

Advertisement
Back