Bishop Gorman Star Tight End Elija Lofton Commits to Miami Hurricanes

View as article
Yup…Restrepo is a very good player for UM. But TVD does seem to have tunnel vision at times.
Tunnel vision and locking onto someone while in that tunnel equals no bueno. He's had some great moments this season and he'll have many more... BUT he needs to work on that. Because any real DC will key on that. He's a one read QB if you make him uncomfortable.

Advertisement
This isn't hard people. TVD had no issue throwing to TEs when he had Mallory. He threw to Arroyo when he played last year and year before.

Cam is a blocker. Williams is a frosh who he doesn't trust yet(bad drop in GT game).

When Arroyo plays more he will get touches.
Statistically speaking obviously he'll get touches. But let's not act like he's looking at all his options.

horton was getting open consistently and tvd wasnt even looking.
Several options consistently get open. I don't wanna harp on this so I'm not gonna say anything else. All things considered we just gotta figure out how to get him back in his groove. Cause it's clear as day his confidence is shook. The seasons not over. Realistically speaking the only surprise was a game WE (Mario,Dawson,etc)cost ourselves out of sheer complacency. It's part of what goes into a teams growth. What were experiencing now is when weak teams break & fold. Strong teams take this as a learning experience & never forget how this **** feels. **** ain't always gonna be Wonderful. But personally I don't think this is a weak team. I think we'll bounce back just fine. Hopefully that will start this week.

Advertisement
Tunnel vision and locking onto someone while in that tunnel equals no bueno. He's had some great moments this season and he'll have many more... BUT he needs to work on that. Because any real DC will key on that. He's a one read QB if you make him uncomfortable.
No disrespect to TVD, but I'm not sure why he would be generally uncomfortable this year. On most of his throws, he seems to have a lot of time to stand in a clean pocket.

Several options consistently get open. I don't wanna harp on this so I'm not gonna say anything else. All things considered we just gotta figure out how to get him back in his groove. Cause it's clear as day his confidence is shook. The seasons not over. Realistically speaking the only surprise was a game WE (Mario,Dawson,etc)cost ourselves out of sheer complacency. It's part of what goes into a teams growth. What were experiencing now is when weak teams break & fold. Strong teams take this as a learning experience & never forget how this **** feels. **** ain't always gonna be Wonderful. But personally I don't think this is a weak team. I think we'll bounce back just fine. Hopefully that will start this week.
After the UVA loss in 2021, I was listening to the CaneSport podcast (come at me). Ferman was talking about how after the game, Restrepo was weeping on the bench by himself while everyone else sauntered to the locker room (and probably a house party later). Ferman was like, "We need a team of Restrepos."
I feel like we are closer to that now. We still have Restrepo. We have Matt Lee agonizing at the end of Ga Tech. Players slamming their helmets when the game was over. Rueben Bain, sick at the press conference, talking about how much he hates losing. That's the culture we need to develop, and I think we're getting there.

Last edited:
After the UVA loss in 2021, I was listening to the CaneSport podcast (come at me). Ferman was talking about how after the game, Restrepo was weeping on the bench by himself while everyone else sauntered to the locker room (and probably a house party later). Ferman was like, "We need a team of Restrepos."
I feel like we are closer to that now. We still have Restrepo. We have Matt Lee agonizing at the end of Ga Tech. Players slamming their helmets when the games was over. Rueben Bain, sick at the press conference, talking about how much he hates losing. That's the culture we need to develop, and I think we're getting there.
How long does that take? Surely Miami isn’t the only program in the country where this takes half a decade.

They seem to be doing just fine up in Gainesville, Norman, Knoxville, Seattle, Tallahassee…throw in Louisville, Kansas, etc. 2-year or immediate turnarounds. Jedd f^cking Fisch at Arizona has them losing to USC and Washington by single scores with a true freshman backup QB, and just destroyed a top 20 Wazzu team on the road. An atrocious football program with no talent, now looking at a winning record.

It doesn’t need to take 5-6 years.

How long does that take? Surely Miami isn’t the only program in the country where this takes half a decade.

They seem to be doing just fine up in Gainesville, Norman, Knoxville, Seattle, Tallahassee…throw in Louisville, Kansas, etc. 2-year or immediate turnarounds. Jedd f^cking Fisch at Arizona has them losing to USC and Washington by single scores with a true freshman backup QB, and just destroyed a top 20 Wazzu team on the road. An atrocious football program with no talent, now looking at a winning record.

We're in year 2.

Advertisement

UF is 1 game better

Record of teams combined wins they've beaten 10-22:
McNeese 0-6
Tenn 5-1
Charlotte 1-5
Vanderbilt 2-4
South Carolina 2-4

Mike Norvell is in year 4:
2nd year he was 5-7

UF is 1 game better

Record of teams combined wins they've beaten 10-22:
McNeese 0-6
Tenn 5-1
Charlotte 1-5
Vanderbilt 2-4
South Carolina 2-4

Mike Norvell is in year 4:
2nd year he was 5-7
Kathy Bates Kiss GIF

We literally have the same number of losses as UF and Kansas right now

Advertisement
We literally have the same number of losses as UF and Kansas right now
Correct, except only one of the three teams had a win total set at 8.5 (albeit slightly predicted to the under, so in reality 8-4). Two of those teams had a win total set at 5.5, meaning one more win exceeds expectations.

Which one do you think we were?

My concern with Loften was never him per se.

It was that he was more of a fullback-TE hybrid, which meant he represented a bunch the box type of future for Miami. More in-line with what Mario wants to do, rather than a move to a Veer and Shoot type offense that Miami should move to.

I’ve seen nothing from this offense this year that makes me think I was wrong in my concern with taking him, and what it means for Miami’s offensive future.

He’s a really good player and you need him to have any chance of making that kind of offense work. I just don’t think that kind of offense has much of a chance of working.

Advertisement
My concern with Loften was never him per se.

It was that he was more of a fullback-TE hybrid, which meant he represented a bunch the box type of future for Miami. More in-line with what Mario wants to do, rather than a move to a Veer and Shoot type offense that Miami should move to.

I’ve seen nothing from this offense this year that makes me think I was wrong in my concern with taking him, and what it means for Miami’s offensive future.

He’s a really good player and you need him to have any chance of making that kind of offense work. I just don’t think that kind of offense has much of a chance of working.

This my concern as well

Lofton is a very unique player. Lining him up as if he's a 6'7 250 In-line TE hurts him and us. The problem I forsee is, we already have some unique athletes in our TE room and we've seen nothing to suggest Dawson/Cristobal plan to take advantage of their 'uniqueness'. I can't imagine anything different for Lofton.

Im assuming they will use him at RB In short yardage and goaline the guy is a tough runner and already strong. After watching Fletcher yesterday and seeing that we don't have any other healthy physical runners at this time it makes sense. I don't see Riley being that type next year and still don't know about citizen. If they don't use him like that and a utility role in general it doesn't make sense.

Im assuming they will use him at RB In short yardage and goaline the guy is a tough runner and already strong. After watching Fletcher yesterday and seeing that we don't have any other healthy physical runners at this time it makes sense. I don't see Riley being that type next year and still don't know about citizen. If they don't use him like that and a utility role in general it doesn't make sense.
So maybe like a Brock Bowers-lite?

Advertisement
Back