Bishop Gorman Star Tight End Elija Lofton Commits to Miami Hurricanes

View as article
Advertisement
Andre Braugher King GIF by NBC

I consider Lofton a high floor kid with soft hands and plus athleticism, strength, and smarts. Add his work ethic and tenacity and the only thing this kid is really missing is ideal height/length. Might not end up a traditional TE or a modern flex TE, but an OC worth a **** will find a way to utilize this skill set in the college game.

Much like Reuben Bain, the only reason this kid isn’t pushing 5 stars is because of his height. He’s basically a 6’1” TE in a day where tight ends are 6’4” and up. I’m curious how his game translates to the next level. He’s a good athlete and he can catch the ball really well but you’re not going to get that size mismatch with a safety down the seams that most teams use their tight end for. I’m scared we’re just going to turn him into some kind of fullback.
He’s an H-back all day long. Some blocking, some catching, and with him, the occasional running. He will line up mostly in the backfield or just off the line. He may never, or rarely, line up as in in-line TE. Players like him thrive with creative OC’s and are mismanaged by bad OC’s.

Advertisement
Mondriel Fulcher/Antonio Gates clone.
Gates was legit 6’4”, though. I’m from Akron, which is about 20 mins from KSU where Gates played basketball. I dated a chick that went to Kent at that time, so I saw him play a few times. He was solid as **** playing the 4, I believe he made all MAC in 2002, but he didn’t have NBA size or athleticism to overcome his physical shortcomings. I’d love it if Lofton develops into half of what Gates turned out to be. I really don’t care about his height, I’d like to see him used similarly to how we used Davenport in 2001. He’ll be a nightmare receiving out of the backfield and a killer at the goal line for us.

Gates was legit 6’4”, though. I’m from Akron, which is about 20 mins from KSU where Gates played basketball. I dated a chick that went to Kent at that time, so I saw him play a few times. He was solid as **** playing the 4, I believe he made all MAC in 2002, but he didn’t have NBA size or athleticism to overcome his physical shortcomings. I’d love it if Lofton develops into half of what Gates turned out to be. I really don’t care about his height, I’d like to see him used similarly to how we used Davenport in 2001. He’ll be a nightmare receiving out of the backfield and a killer at the goal line for us.
I absolutely love the seriousness with which you responded to my insane comment.

Advertisement
REmember when we threw the ball to players out of the backfield. **** i miss that. I can still see Quad Hill catching passes out of the backfield for easy first downs. Davenport also.

Advertisement
I was critical of the take as it pertains to a TE1 in the class (perfectly above and beyond for a TE2), but the kid is balling out and looks so smooth on tape. I'm a fan and expect him to rise in the rankings.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back