Billboard update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Ok guys. The drama continued, but a solution has been nearly locked down.

The spot I had zoned out for this is still open, and I told them weeks ago when I got the quote the goal was to bring awareness to the poor state of the football program. All good.

Shot them over the final design this morning ahead of the meeting. Sales guy who’s been my point of contact says all good, gets final details to prep paperwork for me to sign. Pumped I have all the cash upfront rather than credit.

Design gets passed up the totem pole, less than an hour before the meeting I get a call. Management has reservations about the messaging and does not want to put it up because it’s too aggressive. UM is one of their biggest clients (maybe the biggest) and they don’t want to risk alienating them. The only way they'll consider it is if we remove “fire blow James” and replace it with something more “positive”. Their words not mine.

So obviously this was a very disappointing pickle. My first course of action was to hit up every other billboard company with the messaging and see if there’s anything with the price that we can get at this point. Any location with current messaging is better than watered down bull**** out of fear of UM.

And Ive put a hold on one and just need to work out details. It’s a digital billboard next to the airport, run by a large national company that couldn’t care less about running controversial negative advertising that could upset someone locally. They will be more than fine.

It’s not what we wanted, but time is of the essence and it was the only other spot in our price point I could find within Miami proper. It will likely end up being a little cheaper than the original location as well, which means I’ll take any surplus and allocate it for a prob much needed banner to open the season with.

Go Canes

Congrats on your new flat screen

Some of you lack serious foresight. Is this billboard going to get Uncle Blakey fired? No.

The absolute minimum it’s going to do is embarrass the board of trustees and directly point to the issue that is Blake James. On the flip side, it has the potential to make a BOT member say “maybe they’re right?”

Just have to plant that seed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Some of you lack serious foresight. Is this billboard going to get Uncle Blakey fires? No.

The absolute minimum it’s going to do is embarrass the board of trustees and directly point to the issue that is Blake James. On the flip side, it has the potential to make a BOT member say “maybe they’re right?”

Just have to plant that seed.

it isn’t going to do anything at all bc it isn’t going up

Advertisement
I don't know about anyone swindling money.
Sounds like UM may have taken the offensive approach here and made sure to let these billboard companies know they would be none to pleased if this went up... Just a side effect of doing it on a public site like this.... It's been posted everywhere for the past month...

I remember when @NicKane swindled everyone out of the banner money.
blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here’s the video I was able to get of the plane flying overhead here at Marlins Park 2 hours before kickoff. <a href="https://t.co/9snztxCzj5">pic.twitter.com/9snztxCzj5</a></p>&mdash; Manny Navarro (@Manny_Navarro) <a href="">November 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The airport??????? Did dude just say the airport???? Why not Hialeah? Or Florida City while you're at it. I'm sure you could swing a deal on Alligator Alley and have enough money left over for enough banners for every ****** home game next season.
Went from Coral Gables to the airport plus a banner next season...lol you can't make this **** up.
Just give the snowflakes their money back so they can start another failed banner campaign.
The airport......lol.... Airports and banners oh my...
The saga continues.......

Go Canes!!!!!!!
No failure here sport!

blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here’s the video I was able to get of the plane flying overhead here at Marlins Park 2 hours before kickoff. <a href="https://t.co/9snztxCzj5">pic.twitter.com/9snztxCzj5</a></p>&mdash; Manny Navarro (@Manny_Navarro) <a href="">November 23, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Advertisement
wouldnt this be a lot better if it was done in the middle of next season once we start losing games we shouldn't again?

Ok guys. The drama continued, but a solution has been nearly locked down.

The spot I had zoned out for this is still open, and I told them weeks ago when I got the quote the goal was to bring awareness to the poor state of the football program. All good.

Shot them over the final design this morning ahead of the meeting. Sales guy who’s been my point of contact says all good, gets final details to prep paperwork for me to sign. Pumped I have all the cash upfront rather than credit.

Design gets passed up the totem pole, less than an hour before the meeting I get a call. Management has reservations about the messaging and does not want to put it up because it’s too aggressive. UM is one of their biggest clients (maybe the biggest) and they don’t want to risk alienating them. The only way they'll consider it is if we remove “fire blow James” and replace it with something more “positive”. Their words not mine.

So obviously this was a very disappointing pickle. My first course of action was to hit up every other billboard company with the messaging and see if there’s anything with the price that we can get at this point. Any location with current messaging is better than watered down bull**** out of fear of UM.

And Ive put a hold on one and just need to work out details. It’s a digital billboard next to the airport, run by a large national company that couldn’t care less about running controversial negative advertising that could upset someone locally. They will be more than fine.

It’s not what we wanted, but time is of the essence and it was the only other spot in our price point I could find within Miami proper. It will likely end up being a little cheaper than the original location as well, which means I’ll take any surplus and allocate it for a prob much needed banner to open the season with.

Go Canes

Ask them if we can change it to "Fire The AD". Or "Fire Blake". Or "Fire The President". Or "FireBJ" (although that domain may already be registered to a different type of company).

Or if they need something more positive, how about "HIRE ALONZO HIGHSMITH".

There is no way in **** that UM is going to stop paying for billboards simply because someone used the same company for a negative message. Frenk barely goes in to work each day.

This billboard needs to be at UM, not out by the airport. Get it done.

Airport will still get a lot of exposure but I would have to think any spot along I95 in Dade County would be the most effective. Curious about this electronic billboard though. Is the image refreshed every few seconds with another ad or is it stationary?

Theres going to a ton of national & international media here to cover the Super Bowl traveling up and down I95 to and from Miami Beach

Advertisement
This has gone to ****, IMO.

Either issue refunds or just wait until the timing is better (after some pitiful loss next season).
Also, US1 by the campus would be best. I'd imagine somewhere along I-95 would also work. By the airport is likely a waste (unless it is directly on 836).

No failure here sport!

So that's your claim to fame?? A 4 second tweet of a plane flying over a mostly empty Marlins stadium pulling a banner nobody can read? What a pathetic life you must lead. Wow!! You really did show them. The only excuse I can come up with for you being do dam inept. Is that you're probably a millenial and you have no idea how to get a valid point across without the help of the internet or from an invalid source of information. Like the one in this stupid tweet that says nothing about the message you paid for. You're the type of millennial that gives millenials a bad name.
Honestly. You can't make this **** up. I almost feel sorry for ya.

Go Canes

1 month after funds completed and yet another excuse lol this is funny when you guys going to give in and realize you got swindled.

1 month? Haha blatantly false.

I've said my piece on this. You can think that the media is going to do the job for you all you want, but it will be a blip in a new story and forgotten. Just as fast as it is by the transient people going to the airport never to return to Miami again. A billboard near campus would be in everybody's face.

I 100% agree. Feel free to help me find it for 7.1k. The only reason we could afford the location was due to it being trivision. The next one I’ve seen in the area is 16k.

So unless you’ll help look, pony up the additional money, or have something constructive to actually add please stfu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back