Biggest recruiting needs

Hstokes1447

Junior
What do you guys think are the biggest needs in recruiting this season. I personally think this team is almost in a position to no longer need to rely on true freshman to make a huge impact, but there are still some upgraded that need to be made.

My top 5 recruiting needs in order of importance:
  1. RB- We all expect Duke to turn pro after this season and if that happens there will be a huge depth issue at RB. This staff has done an amazing job recruiting this position landing Dexter Williams and Jordan Cronkrite.
  2. OL- Losing Reilly Gibbons really hurt and this staff needs to hit a home run and land 5 solid offensive linemen in this class. Christian Pellage & Luke Hiers would be a ideal close to the OL class.
  3. CB- Only landing 1 CB in 2014 class was a huge blow in my opinion. Thankfully south Florida is loaded at CB this season. This staff needs to land 3 studs at this position. I would love to see a class of Tyrek Cole, Carlton Davis, & Rashad Fenton or Rashard Causey.
  4. SDE - I don't see a true SDE in the 2014 class and with Chick being a SR and Ufomba a RJR, I think this staff needs to add 2 SDE's this cycle. Scott Patchan is a great start but I would love to see a JUCO like Marquavius Lewis added.
  5. DT - 2014 DT class was very solid but we are still feeling the pains from striking out in 2013. Going into next season this team will have 5 SR's and 2 SO's returning (that is just scary). I would love to see this staff add 2 HS SR and 2 JUCO DT's again during this cycle.

Last edited:
Advertisement
DT has to be #1.

We haven't developed ANYONE at this position in years (going back to Shammin's years).

We are beginning to stock a lot of talent. We still have holes to fill, especially on defense and at QB (if Kaaya and Rosier turn out to be more Crow and Dewey).

Advertisement
DT should be the #1 concern this year (again)

LB is a close 2nd.

We will need another stud CB (or two) as well.

1. DT-After next season Wyche and Heurt will be gone and we don't have many talented bodies there currently. Need 2-3 bodies this cycle to develop and hopefully step up in a couple years

2. OL-We need to keep adding depth. Especially with McDermott and Feliciano being seniors as well as Flowers expected to leave after this season

3. CB-Only getting 1 last cycle won't hurt us this season, but we have to get 3 good ones this cycle or else we'll be relying on true freshmen in 2015

4. DE-Chick and Kamalu will be gone in two years, and the only other true DE we have currently IMO is Chad Thomas. We need bodies there to develop

5. RB-Duke will be gone after this season and I don't have faith in Edwards. We currently look great with Cronkrite and Williams committed there

Advertisement
How do u not have DT as the #1 need?

I understand DT has been a hot topic around here, but we will return 7 DT's in 2015. Now I would love to see 4 DT's added this cycle and 1-2 of the returning DT shown the door. I just don't think it is a high of a priority because I know there will be enough depth there next season to not need someone to step in and start.

2015 DT Depth IMO

DT/3-4 DE
  1. Calvin Heurtelou SR
  2. Jelani Hamilton SR
  3. Anthony Moten SO

NT
  1. Michael Wyche SR
  2. Earl Moore SR
  3. Courtel Jenkins RFR

It would be great to see 2 JUCO DT's in this class to push Jelani and Earl out of the lineup. They will also give us great returning depth for 2016, but if it doesn't happen we will survive.

It we are going to play a 3 -4, then NT is number one and two. DT is 3-- unless we go to 4-3, then DT is 1,2,3. QB is then 4 and 5. Until we see players in those two positions that make us sit back a smile, none of the others will matter. I am talking about priority not numbers. All of us love Kaaya, but we loved Olsen too and now we don't know. This is Miami and we need the center of the dline to scare people and our QB to win games that matter.

#1 DT- hopefully nab Quentez Johnson n 2 JUCOs

#2 LB- although we nabbed a few last cycle none were considered 100% Studs...we need MLB help

#3 CB- give me Cole, Carlton Davis, Devante Davis, Rashad Fenton...and my sleeper....Tarvarus McFadden

#4 WR- after striking out on the big 3 or 4 last year, we Need 2 more...Devante Peete and ????

#5 OL- depth......

Advertisement
Depending on what position these kids end up playing, the LB position could be ok. Most of the LB's & DE's in this class really don't have a true position, they are hybrid guys who could play a number of positions. I personally believe both the talent and numbers are in place to make LB a area of strength on this team.

2015 possible depth:

WLB
  1. Raphael Kirby SR
  2. Jermaine Grace JR
  3. Darrion Owens SO
  4. Marques Gayot RFR (I think he is a bit stiff to play safety but will be a perfect WLB)

MLB
  1. JaWand Blue RJR
  2. Juwon Young SO
  3. Terry McCray RFR

SLB
  1. Tyriq McCord SR
  2. Alex Figueroa JR
  3. Demetrius Jackson SO
  4. Mike Smith RFR

***Tyriq McCord*** If Chad Thomas plays the JACK position behind AQM, I could see Tyriq making the switch to SAM full time.

JACK/ WDE
  1. Al-Quadin Muhammad JR
  2. Chad Thomas SO
  3. Trent Harris RFR

Last edited:
Advertisement
Anyone else think Duke going pro isn't set in stone?

If we have a solid season with Olsen under center, proving that we have a realistic chance at a NC in 2015 behind Olsen (and potentially a Heisman for Duke), I think he stays to finish the job.

That kid is a true Cane, he came here to bring the U back. I don't think he'd leave if we're close, and he seems like the type of kid that wants his degree. With that said, single digit wins and not even an ACC title game appearance this year and I think he's gone.

Depending on what position these kids end up playing, the LB position could be ok. Most of the LB's & DE's in this class really don't have a true position, they are hybrid guys who could play a number of positions. I personally believe both the talent and numbers are in place to make LB a area of strength on this team.

2015 possible depth:

WLB
  1. Raphael Kirby SR
  2. Jermaine Grace JR
  3. Darrion Owens SO
  4. Marques Gayot RFR (I think he is a bit stiff to play safety but will be a perfect WLB)

MLB
  1. JaWand Blue RJR
  2. Juwon Young SO
  3. Terry McCray RFR

SLB
  1. Tyriq McCord SR
  2. Alex Figueroa JR
  3. Demetrius Jackson SO
  4. Mike Smith RFR

***Tyriq McCord*** If Chad Thomas plays the JACK position behind AQM, I could see Tyriq making the switch to SAM full time.

JACK/ WDE
  1. Al-Quadin Muhammad JR
  2. Chad Thomas SO
  3. Trent Harris RFR

I just want to see the kid master and stay at one permanent position, and let him just get after it.

Anyone else think Duke going pro isn't set in stone?

If we have a solid season with Olsen under center, proving that we have a realistic chance at a NC in 2015 behind Olsen (and potentially a Heisman for Duke), I think he stays to finish the job.

That kid is a true Cane, he came here to bring the U back. I don't think he'd leave if we're close, and he seems like the type of kid that wants his degree. With that said, single digit wins and not even an ACC title game appearance this year and I think he's gone.

He gone.

Advertisement
Back