Biggest Recruiting Misses?

Golden 3 weeks into the job messed up Teddys recruitment?

Cooper was never coming here
Never coming here? We didn’t really recruit him. As far as Teddy, I remember reading articles about how Golden started to favor Jake Ruddock over Teddy. The same issues that plagued RS plagued Golden. It was the same issues going back to Butch too

Advertisement
The idea that a class was ‘well received on signing day’ is evidence that it was good or didn’t contain the seeds of failure is bizarre. I thought this board had moved past thinking recruiting rankings tell you whether you’re evaluating well.

Coker was a disaster, he evaluated poorly, recruited off lists, amd botched position groups including OL and Wr badly. Those are known facts. So looking back to see the signs, it’s not hard to do. You’d have to be wilfully obtuse to deny that the signs were there early.

And the idea that it was about kids who ‘e\were never developed’ is insane, imo. You seem to miss the point of evaluating and recruiting entirely.
A post on a well received recruiting class on signing day is not prima facie evidence of a belief that it all ends there.

I will strike a motion to remove the word "developed" from a prior post. imo non talent cannot be developed. My post on Pou and was Wolls wasn't designed to get into that silly debate

The idea that a class was ‘well received on signing day’ is evidence that it was good or didn’t contain the seeds of failure is bizarre. I thought this board had moved past thinking recruiting rankings tell you whether you’re evaluating well.

Coker was a disaster, he evaluated poorly, recruited off lists, amd botched position groups including OL and Wr badly. Those are known facts. So looking back to see the signs, it’s not hard to do. You’d have to be wilfully obtuse to deny that the signs were there early.

And the idea that it was about kids who ‘e\were never developed’ is insane, imo. You seem to miss the point of evaluating and recruiting entirely.

Disaster in terms of sheer quantity:
2002: (2) Ryan Moore (5 star), Akieem Jolla (4 star), Sinorice Moss (3 star)
2003: (1) Darnell Jenkins (3 star)
2004: (2) Lance Leggett (5 star), (1) Khalil Jones (3 star)
2005: None
2006: (2) Sam Shields (4 star), George Robinson (2 star)

Just seven wide receivers over five years. Only four blue chip wide receivers over five years. And that's coming off of a national championship.

Compare that to wide receiver recruiting in just the last two cycles:
2020: Michael Redding (4 star), Dazalin Worsham (3 stars), Keyshawn Smith (3 stars), Xavier Restrepo (3 stars)
2021: Romello Brinson (4 star), Jacolby George (4 star), Brashard Smith (4 star), Malik Curtis (3 stars)

That's eight wide receivers in two years. Four blue chip receivers in two years.

How did we play for national championships under Coker yet fail to recruit that position? How could we have only three wide receivers healthy (out of just 6 total) in 2006? How could we have lost out on recruits to Syracuse? Syracuse?!

Disaster in terms of sheer quantity:
2002: (2) Ryan Moore (5 star), Akieem Jolla (4 star), Sinorice Moss (3 star)
2003: (1) Darnell Jenkins (3 star)
2004: (2) Lance Leggett (5 star), (1) Khalil Jones (3 star)
2005: None
2006: (2) Sam Shields (4 star), George Robinson (2 star)

Just seven wide receivers over five years. Only four blue chip wide receivers over five years. And that's coming off of a national championship.

Compare that to wide receiver recruiting in just the last two cycles:
2020: Michael Redding (4 star), Dazalin Worsham (3 stars), Keyshawn Smith (3 stars), Xavier Restrepo (3 stars)
2021: Romello Brinson (4 star), Jacolby George (4 star), Brashard Smith (4 star), Malik Curtis (3 stars)

That's eight wide receivers in two years. Four blue chip receivers in two years.

How did we play for national championships under Coker yet fail to recruit that position? How could we have only three wide receivers healthy (out of just 6 total) in 2006? How could we have lost out on recruits to Syracuse? Syracuse?!
I know those are rhetorical questions, but dammit mane, Coker was teh woat. I was yelling at the clouds on this topic back in the Coker era. Folks around here ain't changed. The new guys are always promising. Evaluations sound interesting but when we sign a highly rated kid, everyone's happy.

Btw., Jenkins was a '02 kid who didn't get in right away, iirc. He basically took Leggett from '03-'05. Three years, one actual recruited WR. Jones was an 'oh ****' scholarship when all other plans fell through. Then after none in '05, he takes only Shields in '06. G Rob was just a scholarship handed out to cover for his abysmal recruiting. Don't even think G Rob caught more than a couple passes in HS.

We still have folks who think Coker wasn't that bad. Amazing.

Advertisement
Skai Moore played at USchool. Wanted a UM offer but UM showed up super late to the dance. If I am not mistaken, like the day before NSD.
It was just too late. That era in UM recruiting was a key to the SFL exodus.
I was online pumping Skai Moore HARRRD... I known him since a kid since he is my best friends first cousin. Was on CIS going hard lol...By the time they had interest he was already locked in to South Carolina...sh*t his stuff was packed and ready to leave.

Advertisement
I know those are rhetorical questions, but dammit mane, Coker was teh woat. I was yelling at the clouds on this topic back in the Coker era. Folks around here ain't changed. The new guys are always promising. Evaluations sound interesting but when we sign a highly rated kid, everyone's happy.

Btw., Jenkins was a '02 kid who didn't get in right away, iirc. He basically took Leggett from '03-'05. Three years, one actual recruited WR. Jones was an 'oh ****' scholarship when all other plans fell through. Then after none in '05, he takes only Shields in '06. G Rob was just a scholarship handed out to cover for his abysmal recruiting. Don't even think G Rob caught more than a couple passes in HS.

We still have folks who think Coker wasn't that bad. Amazing.
He killed the dynasty.

In 2006 he put all his eggs in the Preston Parker / Sam Shields basket, and only got Shields. He should have signed at least four blue chip receivers, and instead only went after two and got one. Thus we had the specter of a punter and cornerback playing wide receiver. In 2005, the Hurricanes lost out on a wide receiver battle to Syracuse of all teams and elected not to sign anyone.

And then there is QB. Coker failed to land a quarterback in two straight cycles (05-06). Not that it mattered - by 2006 there was no one to throw to.

He killed the dynasty.

In 2006 he put all his eggs in the Preston Parker / Sam Shields basket, and only got Shields. He should have signed at least four blue chip receivers, and instead only went after two and got one. Thus we had the specter of a punter and cornerback playing wide receiver. In 2005, the Hurricanes lost out on a wide receiver battle to Syracuse of all teams and elected not to sign anyone.

And then there is QB. Coker failed to land a quarterback in two straight cycles (05-06). Not that it mattered - by 2006 there was no one to throw to.
The amazing thing is Shields wasn't a good receiver - he had to switch to WR. And Parker didn't pan out either.

Coker didn't even try to evaluate as far as I can tell. Recruited off lists.

Advertisement
Back